shape
carat
color
clarity

Reliability of SK princess setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anonymiser

Rough_Rock
Hi there - thanks to all of your help, I have purchased a great 1.75ct Princess stone. Now I am looking at settings.

There is one setting I really like - the Scott Kay "crown" setting (see photo). The setting has four prongs for the center Princess stone, with the diamond exposed on two sides, but with a solid platinum on the bottom of the other two sides for structural support.

Is this setting reliable/robust enough that the stone won''t become loose over time? A few jewelers have warned me about getting this setting, although I would think Scott Kay wouldn''t sell something that is badly engineered.

Thanks for your thoughts!

scottkay1_20081128.jpg

Here is a side view of a similar "crown" setting showing one of the sides without a horizontal bar for structure support.

scottkay3_20081128.jpg

My guess is that it''s because it doesn''t have protected corners for the princess, which certainly leaves it more vulnerable to chipping, but if it''s insured it isn''t a big deal. And make sure that someone who knows what they are doing sets it.

I would probably call pearlmans and ask them. They have carried Scott Kay for many years and would be truthful if the setting could lead to problems. I would also make sure if you do buy it that the vendor you get it from sends your stone to Scott Kay to be set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP