shape
carat
color
clarity

removing sizing shots - difficult procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
How difficult is it to remove sizing shots/balls from a platinum ring shank?

Is this a simple thing or requires the knowledge of a master benchman?

It should take two seconds with a saw and a file ....

do they have to heat the metal?

Nope, not insofar as I''m aware ... they *could* do it that way (heat the ring to get the solder to the melting point, lift the beads, and then file the surface smooth), but it would be pointless and an additional risk when they could just saw the beads off and redo the surface.

scary! I have a new ring on the way (Leon) and at the time, we decided to do the sizing shots. My hands were very cold and I was
surprised my ring size was so small. I''m now afraid the ring will be too tight when hotter weather returns.

No big. That's why the beads are nice- its way easier to remove them than to resize the whole ring. I watched my favorite bench guy remove some a while ago, and it really was a few minutes of simple filing work, a quick polish, and no heating. I'd think any semi-competent bench could do it. White gold may need rerhodiuming afterwards, but if you are talking about a Leon, it'd be platinum anyway right?

ETA: You may find the ring isn't too tight with them. My mom wears them on all her rings, and it seems like they're great for keeping the rings wearable through finger size changes... like, when you're cold they keep it tighter, but then if your finger swells there's some room for that.

LittleGreyKitten - yes. platinum from Leon. My last three rings were all size 5''s. One band from Tiffany''s and 2 eternity bands from Facets. The band is a 5 1/4.
The eternity bands are 5 1/4 with the sizing balls. The band is too wiggly, but the 2 thinner bands are ok. My ring from Leon will be between a 4 3/4 and a 5.
On the day I was in his office, I was cold, so I''m worried it will be too tight and the balls will make it even tighter. I''ve discussed it with Leon and says well, we measured and that was
what we determined at the time. I''m panicking I won''t be able to wear it when it arrives early next week. (hope) We shall see....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP