shape
carat
color
clarity

Restyle question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
A while ago I was considering rhodium plating my yellow gold engagement ring. After research and help from fellow PSers I decided against it.

As an alternative (and partly because my fiance has expressed some negativity towards me having bought a white gold ring as a "show piece instead, even though he gave consent at the time of purchase) I have discussed maybe having the stone reset into a white gold band.

My ring is an 18 carat yelloe gold, 0.33 carat diamond four prong solitaire. It is a modest piece. The head/prongs are white gold.

I was concerned that resetting the stone completely would be unneccesarily expensive and potentially damaging to such a small stone.

Is there a way to keep the original head and literally having the band replaced with a white gold one?

I like the setting as it sits low and I work with children, so there is no risk of catching them with it. Plus, I am really heavy handed, a higher setting would probably be ruined by me.

I live in the UK...Has anyone else from this neck of the woods reset such a small stone?

It really depends on the setting, but most likely it wouldn''t be worth it to do that. But resetting the stone shouldn''t be a problem as long as it''s not chipped or anything now.

Maybe I would just reset the stone in a completely new setting. It would probably cost more than the original ring was in total!

The diamond is far from perfect though. It hs a very visible black inclusion not very well "hidden" in the facets along the edge of the diamond. Plus is came to me with a scratch on the table surfacel It was like that when I recieved it originally, but I never did anything about it. I have had it for over 4.5 years now so nothing I could do about it.

My fiance really doesn''t want me to get a new stone, plus he hates the fact I am wearing a self purchased white gold ring. I don''t know hat to do really.

I mean this in the nicest way possible...but I think you really need to talk to your fiance about how he feels about this and WHY it''s a big deal to him. Then listen. And buy yourself a really nice RHR until he''s truly ok with a reset.
2.gif

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

He is rather difficult to talk to about it. But the conversations we have had surrounding the issue of resetting/upgrading the ring have come down to the basic point that he bought this ring as a symbol of our engagement. We chose it together, we didn''t do much research beforehand. We just had a budget and still went double that budget to get the ring I ended up with.

I personally have never been truly happy with it because of the surface scratch. IMO a diamond shouldn''t some with a scratched table. We had to send it back once because the original diamond was a mess. They got us a new one and it still had unneccesary flaws.

Date: 11/28/2008 9:33:43 AM
Author: merrymunky
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

He is rather difficult to talk to about it. But the conversations we have had surrounding the issue of resetting/upgrading the ring have come down to the basic point that he bought this ring as a symbol of our engagement. We chose it together, we didn''t do much research beforehand. We just had a budget and still went double that budget to get the ring I ended up with.

I personally have never been truly happy with it because of the surface scratch. IMO a diamond shouldn''t some with a scratched table. We had to send it back once because the original diamond was a mess. They got us a new one and it still had unneccesary flaws.

If I may play psychotherapist for a moment I would guess that he thinks that he''s not good enough for you because the ring he got you isn''t good enough for you...and that can be really hard on a man''s ego.

You already got another new ring right? And neither of you are happy. So I would put this project aside for a moment until the wound isn''t as fresh and revisit later when he''s more amenable to it. He''ll get there, but he might need a little ego boosting before then...

Is it possible to simply have the diamond you have now repolished?

Would that remove the scratch?

The diamond isn''t the main issue really. It''s the yellow gold band. I don''t like yellow gold and only got YG originally as I was wearing two YG rings on my right hand...both were sentimental ones, not ones I myself bought.

I''ve been wearing the original one for over 4.5 years with no sign of a wedding date. Maybe when we set the date (if ever) we can upgrade the original one and get the one I really would love. Then I would wear the white gold one I bought as a RHR.

Re-polishing a diamond would remove a scratch.

Date: 11/28/2008 11:59:31 AM

The diamond isn''t the main issue really. It''s the yellow gold band. I don''t like yellow gold and only got YG originally as I was wearing two YG rings on my right hand...both were sentimental ones, not ones I myself bought.

I''ve been wearing the original one for over 4.5 years with no sign of a wedding date. Maybe when we set the date (if ever) we can upgrade the original one and get the one I really would love. Then I would wear the white gold one I bought as a RHR.
Hi Merry,

Repolishing could remove or improve a scratch as the ladies said, but are you sure it is a scratch and not a surface breaking inclusion? I am not saying that is what it is but it is a possibility, so a good appraiser or jeweller that you trust might be able to advise you.

Date: 11/30/2008 10:37:54 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 11/28/2008 11:59:31 AM

Hi Merry,

Repolishing could remove or improve a scratch as the ladies said, but are you sure it is a scratch and not a surface breaking inclusion? I am not saying that is what it is but it is a possibility, so a good appraiser or jeweller that you trust might be able to advise you.

Good point Lorelei. If it''s an inclusion it can''t be polished out, but if it''s a scratch that could take care of it!

I would repolish the diamond and have the ring rhodium plated. You''ll have to get it replated now and then but at least it would be what you want. As for putting the diamond in something else, I agree it''s probably better to put that idea aside until your FI seems more agreeable to it. I eventually had my original diamond (.15 ct) mounted in a pendant so I could still wear it because it was what my DH originally picked out for me. Luckily for me he''s not big on sentiment so he never had problems with me changing out my wring or ering. Good luck!

I always just assumed it was a scratch. It was only a high street jeweller purchased ring. I would have to take it in to have it looked at to find out what it is exactly. It''s right on the table so very noticable.

I would revisit the rhodium plating idea actually, if only so I could wear the ring as my "best" ring for nights out etc.

Neatfreak...you know you mentioned maybe purchasing myself a RHR to please myself in the meantime? Well I have a ring to collect the Monday after next. It''s not super expensive but very pretty. A white gold ruby and diamond ring. There are 3 small rubies in the centre, between two twisted bands of diamonds. Not my usual style but I liked it a lot.

I have been considering a ruby ring with a diamond halo for months now. However, I had not found one suitable that I liked. I was almost swayed with a beautiful garnet one in one store but decided to go away and think about it as I would really prefer ruby as it is my birthstone. The only haloed ones were a created ruby in that store which I didn''t want, the style wasn''t quite right either. Then I saw another pretty one in the next jelwellers we went to, but the prongs were too overpowering to the ruby. I ended up choosing the twist ring pver the garnet one I saw earlier as it was much more practical for day wear. I might get the garnet one at a later date for evening wear. It was stunning.

So hopefully it will be ready for me in little over a week. I have large fingers so it needs a good resize!

I have seen a beautiful runy oval with diamond halo in white gold which I am also considering. Just waiting to hear back on what sizes are in stock.

Date: 11/30/2008 11:01:42 AM
I always just assumed it was a scratch. It was only a high street jeweller purchased ring. I would have to take it in to have it looked at to find out what it is exactly. It's right on the table so very noticable.

I would revisit the rhodium plating idea actually, if only so I could wear the ring as my 'best' ring for nights out etc.

Neatfreak...you know you mentioned maybe purchasing myself a RHR to please myself in the meantime? Well I have a ring to collect the Monday after next. It's not super expensive but very pretty. A white gold ruby and diamond ring. There are 3 small rubies in the centre, between two twisted bands of diamonds. Not my usual style but I liked it a lot.

I have been considering a ruby ring with a diamond halo for months now. However, I had not found one suitable that I liked. I was almost swayed with a beautiful garnet one in one store but decided to go away and think about it as I would really prefer ruby as it is my birthstone. The only haloed ones were a created ruby in that store which I didn't want, the style wasn't quite right either. Then I saw another pretty one in the next jelwellers we went to, but the prongs were too overpowering to the ruby. I ended up choosing the twist ring pver the garnet one I saw earlier as it was much more practical for day wear. I might get the garnet one at a later date for evening wear. It was stunning.

So hopefully it will be ready for me in little over a week. I have large fingers so it needs a good resize!

I have seen a beautiful runy oval with diamond halo in white gold which I am also considering. Just waiting to hear back on what sizes are in stock.

How exciting!! Good for you for buying something fun for yourself.
1.gif
Sometimes men just get so wrapped up in things it's best to let it go for awhile, treat yourself, and then revisit later with them!

Neatfreak - I totally agree with you.

He is happy for me to rhodium plate the ring as then I am wearing THE ring, which I DO love dearly. We know we can always convert it back to its original colour that way too.

My mum just purchased herself a new engagement ring. LONG story short. but when she got engaged to my step dad 12 years ago she refused to let him spend too much on a ring so ended up sacrificing the ring she loved for a lesser one. It is still gorgeous, a sapphire and diamond ring. However, the ring caught on her clothing too much so she never wears it. He knows she has been wanting a new one so yesterday we both got something we wanted. She bought herself a yellow gold trilogy diamond ring, Nothing too huge and flashy, 0.25 carat total diamond weight, but it gives her a nice spread of sparkle next to her wide WB, much better in our opinion than a solitaire on her. She went home, told my step dad and he barely batted an eyelash in respose. He told her it was lovely and didn''t even ask how much it cost him!! As it happens, it was only £400. Then she had to confess that she bought the gold rope necklce she had originally been into the jewellery shop looking for...then also confess to paying for my new RHR too!

He''s so good he didn''t question it at all. Bless him. I will be giving her the money for my ring though. It was only £190.

I can''t find a picture of the ring I am getting as it is not advertised on the website. It must have been an end of line ring. I will post pictures when it arrives though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP