shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium Plating Wear on White Gold???HOW LONG Does it Last for YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
I know this question has been asked lots, and that there are a ton of things that determine how long Rhodium plating lasts. I''ve read that it all depends on how much she wears it, and how well the Rhodium plating process was done.

I''ve spoken to at least a dozen jewelers over the last few weeks and I''ve asked every one the same question....How long should I expect the Rhodium plating to last until my fiance needs to bring it back? I have received a number of different lengths including:
6 months
1 year
and then the others who say, "Don''t listen to those other guys, it should last AT LEASE 2 to 3 years at the minimum".

So my question is, do some of these jewelers simply have a better process of Rhodium plating a ring than the others? Or are the people saying a few months to a year the people telling the truth?

My guess is that my future fiance will wear it with pride each and every living second of the day, so it should expect some wear. I am trying to decide on White Gold, Palladium, or Platinum if I have to go that expensive.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I waited 10 years with heavy wear to have my ering replated. Had it yellowed, yes. But it does not look the same as yellow gold. It looks slightly warmer than wg in color, way less than 10k gold. I kinda liked it.

I have another wg topaz/diamond ring that started to discolor after about a year with extremely light wear.

It really depends on you and when the discoloration begins to bother you. It does not go yellow overnight. I think that it is usually so subtle that you may not think about it until you take you ring for an annual inspection

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My body doesn''t mix well with white gold. One ring I had needed to be re-rhodiumed probably every other month. Too much for me, but my husband wears his father''s wg wedding ring (made in the late 1960s so maybe it''s the metal mix?) and that only needs to be done maybe twice a year?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer is, IT DEPENDS. On her own personal body chemistry. Thus, unless she already owns WG jewelry that she wears everyday, it will be really hard to determine how long she will have to go before re-rhodium plating it.

I have heard estimates in the years, but I have also heard estimates as frequent as every few months. It just depends.

find45di2

Shiny_Rock
The stories about it lasting only a few months are what are making me consider Palladium. I am also considering Platinum but the Palladium metal seems more and more appealing the more I read. Anyone ever go from White Gold to Palladium?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of WG rings, and so far, they show no signs of yellowing on me at all, with constant wear. None of my WG pieces seem to be losing their whiteness. Just keep in mind that whatever metal you choose for the E-ring will have to be available for the wedding ring too, if you''re going for a matching set.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2007 2:26:01 PM
Author: find45di2
The stories about it lasting only a few months are what are making me consider Palladium. I am also considering Platinum but the Palladium metal seems more and more appealing the more I read. Anyone ever go from White Gold to Palladium?
Actually, plat, WG, and Palladium aren''t your only choices. A far easier and more common alternative, if you don''t want to go with plat, is to get a WG ring that''s alloyed with palladium instead of nickel.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
grandma''s ring, 80 years old, recently came to me. when resizing it was re-plated. it was not yellow in the least, rather, just dull. boy did it look great!

so, once every 80 years, at least, is my recommendation
2.gif

jeannie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results