shape
carat
color
clarity

Round vs Cushion Cut - Halo Setting

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for any suggestions / advice in advance.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for seven years now and she has been ready to marry me for at least two years now. We've talked about getting married for at least that long and she knows I will ask, but I don't think she has any idea on when and I'm trying to keep it that way. Hopefully in the next 2-3 months.

When we get her earrings and necklace cleaned we look at engagement rings and she points out the same type of ring every time a cushion cut halo. I'm torn though because after asking some of her friends and looking at her Pintrest board it seems to be split 50/50 between round and cushion cut. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they like?

One of the ones she has saved on Pintrest and pointed out to friends is from James Allen here.

Any suggestions on how to get an answer out of her without giving it away that it's coming soon? If not, what would you pick I'm leaning towards the cushion cut setting like the one linked above.

Once I get this part figured out I'll post another thread on recommended criteria for the diamond whether it's cushion or round. Mainly for a cushion though since GIA doesn't rate the cut of a cushion, and the HCA tool is only for rounds).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you uncertain about the diamond shape or the outline shape of the halo?

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
I know she likes the setting from James Allen that I linked that is more of a rounded square. I'm not sure about the diamond shape. I know it's personal preference, but after talking to a few of her friends and looking at her pintrest she's split 50/50 between links of the same style of setting but round vs cushion. So now I'm torn on round vs cushion.

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love a round in a cushion halo. Best of both worlds. Then if she would want at a later time she could always put her RB in a solitare setting.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Go shopping together and have her pick out her own ring/design. It can be that simple.

cheers--Sharon

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a trend of the diamond and halo shape matching in her pinterest? Do you see any with a round center and non round outline?

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander - yes every single one of them is the rounded square halo. The only major difference is the stone round vs cushion.

Like this one with a round compared to the JA one I linked earlier.
upload_2018-1-23_20-58-15.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then I agree with PP. Get her a round diamond and cushion halo. Once we help you find a rock and understand your budget, we can recommend specific ones. But, the JamesAllen falling edge is really pretty and on trend for the right size center.

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
Okay, and you would go round because rounds generally have more fire? Or because of how the round diamond looks with the cushion halo?

Budget I've gone back and forth on. I'm thinking between 8-10k for the diamond and setting. From the research I've done I could probably get something around 1.35-1.50 ct for a cushion. I understand rounds are more expensive though.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would do a round in a cushion halo as well. I am actually thinking of that for my own reset!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushions may cost less per carat, but will face up smaller than same-weight rounds. Rounds are easier to pick, as their fire and scintillation are more predictable within a certain range of angles. They also face up larger than cushions.

For these reasons, and the fact that she has several of these pinned, I would go with a round stone in a cushion (rounded square) halo. :kiss2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also go with a round for the same reasons ringo said above. If you're planning on proposing in the next 2-3 months, I'd get a new thread started on a search for stones! That will take a few days, production will take a few weeks and you want to leave enough time if any issues come up.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
round in a cushion halo. A nice round stone is much easier to find vs a cushion. cushions can be really difficult.

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your opinions, seems like round in a cushion halo is the way to go. I'm going to go look at a local jeweler tonight to get some ideas. Then I'll post another thread to look for stones. I keep hearing great things about James Allen (primarily for fancy cut stones) but know a lot of people who have used them. Would you say JA has good quality rounds as well or should I look at a place like WhiteFlash.

Also, I can do my research on AGS vs GIA, but figured I'd ask I see that a lot of the Ideal cuts are rated by AGS. Any thoughts on AGS vs GIA?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be "just browsing" at your local jeweler and come back here when you're ready to shop. Get ideas there and bring them here. Whiteflash and High Performance diamonds carry top-of-the-line super ideal cuts (ACA and CBI). They will have done all the legwork for you. You can also find great stones on JA or BN (with help from your helpful PSers).

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 - definitely not buying at the local jeweler just browsing. After looking at the round cut in a cushion cut halo in person I feel much better about going that route. The scintillation between a round and the cushion cut wasn't even close.

I can start another thread for the diamond search, but one of the jewelers I went to actually seemed to have decent pricing for a decent quality stone. They showed me a range:
1.21 ct H SI1 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry GIA # 7232961844 for $8250 set in a cushion halo setting 14k white gold with pave diamonds on the band

1.30 ct J VS2 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry GIA # 2267663858 for $8200 set in the same setting - the HCA tool had a solid rating on this one.

1.45 ct F SI2 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry don't have the GIA # for $9200 set in the same setting.

I really liked the look of the 1.30 she showed me. The 1.45 was nice, but it had a clear feather inclusion smack dab in the center.

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
@ahoogeveen
Yay, so glad to hear you're going round in a cushion halo route - I might be a *tad* biased as that is EXACTLY my (soon to be) e-ring lol but that would be my vote as well. MRB is one of the most sparkly cut, universally flattering and "safe" choice for e-ring (and rightfully so) IMO...unless you know you're SO has a very specific taste/partial to certain fancy cut, you can never go wrong with MRB.

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
I noticed you're considering a wide color range from J to F. I wanted to add that MRB can also hide color better compared to fancy cuts. But generally speaking, people can start detecting "tint" around H/I...so it might be something to think about. Especially if you're to put a halo around it, depending on the color of melee used in the halo, the contrast of color might be further highlighted.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You all have been discussing marriage for years, and she's pointed out rings to you. For me, the only surprise related to the ring left is the one you risk not getting her exactly what she wants. Even if you take her browsing/shopping the proposal can still be a surprise. I would ask her, personally.

Especially if she has a lot of rings posted-- I know it sounds simple to say: round in a cushion halo. But compare the one ahoogeeen posted to the one in my AV. They are both rounds in cushion halos. But they are completely different in all details! And those details really matter to some women.

You are spending a lot of money. And yes, she'll love anything you get her. But don't you want to get her exactly what she wants? Especially if the one she's pointed out to you in person are cushions, and the ones online are rounds. Maybe she posted the rounds because of the setting details. Not the center stone.

I'd plan a really fun day out for lunch somewhere nice, make a romantic day of it. Get her finger sized, find out exactly what she wants, and go from there.

Or alternately, cook her a lovely lunch, make a romantic day of it at home and browse the net together.

Have her see for herself the difference in performance between a well cut cushion and well cut rounds (You can do this online too. If you are doing it in person, make sure the store has well cut stones), and make an educated decision together. Then pour over settings and pick those details together too.

If also looks like you need to do more research on what defines a well cut round. The other posters here will be able to help you with that.

Last edited:

cdurant1000

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree, do a romantic ask and then go try on rings together and let her pick it out.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just to clarify, You can go shopping together before or after the proposal. As cdurant1000 posted, you can propose without the ring and then shop together afterward. Or you can go shopping, get her specific input (again, you can do this from your couch, together online) then buy the ring, and still do a surprise proposal.

You are planning marriage. As a couple. As partners. Frankly, I and most of the women on PS would tell you the most romantic thing a man can do is to ask us for our opinion on something we are expected to wear for the rest of our lives, and to partner with us from the start on such an expensive and important purchase.

Marriage is a joint venture. To me, it makes perfect sense to start off the process as partners . ;))

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 - dbut one of the jewelers I went to actually seemed to have decent pricing for a decent quality stone.

1.21 ct H SI1 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry GIA # 7232961844 for $8250 set in a cushion halo
setting 14k white gold with pave diamonds on the band

Angles of this are not well-balanced There is a lot of thing on the clarity plot and I doubt this will be eyeclean. It has could, crystals and knot. This would be a no for me. Grading report fro 2016, so I'd also want to get it regraded if this is a pre-owned stone.

1.30 ct J VS2 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry GIA # 2267663858 for $8200 set in the same setting - the HCA tool had a solid rating on this one.

This is a 60/60 style stone with well balanced angles. You would need an IS or ASET to be sure of this stone's performance. Clarity plot is promising, it would need to be screened by a gemologist to ensure the cloud does not impact performance (scatter light like a snow globe). This is a J color, so you need to be very clear about your girl's color sensitivity. 60/60 Js tend to show color more than a superideal. Both will show color from the side. But, on price, this is right in line with the big online retailers.

1.45 ct F SI2 Excellent Polish, Cut and Symmetry don't have the GIA # for $9200 set in the same setting. Can't say anything about this one without more info.

Without knowing the brand and carat weight of the setting, its hard to judge if is it well-made or not worth it. . Always ask for the price of the setting and get details about it. Look into the ring and see if there are any maker marks as that could help us narrow the price and quality they offered for you.

The setting you like is $1200 on JA. Setting a top budget of $8000 for the diamond.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...at-j-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-3590454
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-j-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-2519455
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3935933.htm {superideal J)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3702264.htm {superideal I}
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7853

ahoogeveen

Rough_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander - Sorry for the delay, we were out of town this weekend. Rings did come up though and I was able to confirm that she likes the look of a round brilliant in a cushion halo! She also mentioned again that her Pintrest is up to date and she would like anything along those lines.

As far as the diamonds go, after doing more research online and looking at the ones I had mentioned using the HCA tool I wasn't as impressed.

Should I start another thread for choosing a diamond, but out of the ones you linked I do like the 1.311 ct I SI1 from WhiteFlash. I think I want to stay I or higher since I can see the yellow in a J and her eyes are better than mine so she'll definitely see it too.

I found a 1.29 I VS2 GIA # 2183903136 for $6700 which seemed to be a great price and the stats in the HCA rating were all Excellent. Not sure how this would compare to the hearts above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results