shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know squat about colored stones.

I saw this sapphire and was hoping for some opinions.
Thanks

sapphire link

How particular are you about the colour? This ones seems to be on the darker side and the website acknowledges that it is darker in person and the picture shows what you'll see in bright daylight. My concern is that it might be too dark most of the time to be fully appreciated.

You might also want to ask about the inclusions since there was one that fell out when polished. Find out if there are any that would affect the structural integrity of the stone (when setting and worn).

Is this for a ring? Pendant?

For a ring- maybe I''ll look for better quality.

I would love to get a Richard Homer one day.
I''m hoping to do a three stone ring. Center colored flanked by two diamonds.
At this point I don''t care which color- any of the Homer stones are gorgeous. I''m not too picky.
9.gif

This looks like a nice sapphire for what it is... VERY cheap!

AJS Gems is a good place to look to get an idea of how much heated stones cost.
SAP-00490-s.jpg

6.5 mm, clean, royal vibrant blue for $1070

SAP-00726-l.jpg

This one is a little smaller (6.0) and a little less vibrant for $595

SAP-00672-l.jpg

This one is in-between the two sizes (6.2) but is much darker and might have some color zoning for $236

The one you posted would probably continue this trend... getting cheaper and darker...

You get what you pay for, and it''s up to the us to educate ourselves and pick out the best thing we can find for our budget!

If you want to learn more, I would start with the palagems sapphire buying guide. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Thanks Chrono and VelouriaL
21.gif

Hi Sevens,
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size you are looking for?
3. Which shade of blue do you like? Light/Medium light/Medium?
4. I assume you are shopping for a round blue sapphire?

I like this one but it might be too small for your tastes. I like the slight purple tone and it''s not too dark. Plus I love the velvety look.

Ooh... that''s a pretty one! kinda'' on the small side, but if she''s got small fingers and it''s a three stone ring, maybe...

I think the original pick is probably pretty good value if you like the darker shades of sapphire - do they have a money back guarantee if you dont like it when it arrives?
End consumers probably have little idea that the trade sapphire market has been particularly bad for producers for the last couple of years. There sure are some bargain buys out there if you know where to look. They wont last forever as anybody who really tries to buy quantities of good quality sapphire, find quickly that supply of good rough is surprisingly short. In our region (the New England field, Australia), we have gone from 6 large scale miners in 2000 down to only 2 (and 1 miner is only operating half his area at the moment) and there is almost no commercial mining in Queensland at all - this is all due to low prices being paid to the miner. This can only mean one thing that the low cycle of prices will soon end and prices of cut sapphire will rise in some cases dramatically!!

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

Sevens- Forget about buying the sapphire you linked in. I tried to buy it this week and its already been sold.

Okey Dokey!
41.gif

I''ll keep looking.
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results