shape
carat
color
clarity

Scammers From New York

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Grammary

Rough_Rock
Earlier in the year someone placed two or three posts regarding concerns about Gem Scientific Laboratories and a diamond vendor called Diamonds From New York (also goes by "the 47th Diamond). Wish I''d seen those posts before dealing with these apparent scammers.

Diamonds From New York advertised on Craig''s List a pair of 1.42ctw natural G, SI1, SI2 14K white gold diamond stud earrings for $1588. They agreed to sell them to me for $1200 plus $70 for insurance and GSL certificate. Okay this GSL is not the same as the bona fide GSL. There was illegible signature on certificate and no printed name of gemologist who examined the earrings. Took the earrings to my local gemologist and watched as they were weighed - they were only 1.06ctw. Looked through the scope to see all the mess and they turned out to be I1. Returned them and received second pair. The weight checked out okay but clarity on one was still I1 and the other was worse at I3. The information on the certifications did not match what I was shown first hand. That is pretty much what was reported by the poster earlier in the year.

I was promised a 3rd pair. At this point I am out more money for having to return and insure two pairs. I opened a dispute on PayPal as the 45 days to do that from date of purchase would expire before I could receive the third pair. Dispute is not a claim. It is a protection for the buyer to elevate to a claim if the matter can''t be resolved with the seller. I noted that I still was hopeful of receiving what I paid for and would elevate to claim only if the seller didn''t send the correct earrings on the third go round.

Within 24 hours Diamonds From New York closed the dispute by refunding the purchase price. Not what I wanted! I wanted the great deal I contracted for.

As of today, they are still advertising the same diamonds on various Craig''s Lists around the country. I am guessing they really don''t have these, at least not that they are willing to part with for $1200, but are just trying to scam others. I assume that they must be successful at this and that most buyers never have the items independently checked out. When they are caught, they just issue a refund and move on to the next target.

Sooooo -- anybody have any idea what to do about this scam???
35.gif

do you file a complaint to craigslist?

I would be relieved that I got back what I paid for them.

You can start by reporting them to their local BBB and state''s Consumer Protection Agency. Unfortunately if you find a deal that is too good to be true it usually is...

Individuals may sell a piece of jewelry on craigslist, but reputable jewelers do not. You should have known that from the beginning, no?

Be grateful you received a refund, there was no "great deal I contracted for"
38.gif

An average .75 ct. diamond is going to be at least $1200 from a jeweler, therefore a pair should run a min. of $2000 and up.

You''ve already done what needed to be done, you got a refund. Craigslist is not interested in your experience, they are an unmoderated forum.

Thanks to all who replied, especially to Neat Freak for the suggestions I was looking for. And of course, I know that if a deal sounds too good to be true that it usually is. I bought them through Pay Pal and my credit card knowing that doing so would give me the ability to get my money back if I needed to do so pending the outcome of having them independently evaluated by a reputable jeweler/gemologist. I do know what diamonds cost so I was skeptical but thought I''d take a chance while doing what I needed to do to protect myself. I guess the point of my post was to trying to protect others from getting taken by these guys.

Pay Pal tells me that if they get enough complaints about this seller that they will stop services to them. I will try the BBB and the FBI cyber fraud folks but I bet they get a gazillion complaints and have a hard time following up on them all.

Thanks again.

No problem Grammary. Just post your story everywhere you can find on the internet and include their name, that way when people do a google search for them things like this post will come up and warn people.

Everyone''s out for a deal, but when way out of whack beware.

Marty
Diamond Brokerage Service Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com
"see it, we beat it"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP