shape
carat
color
clarity

Service after the sale

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

My boyfriend and I just started looking at rings and thinking about where to purchase to get the best value and one question keeps coming up in our minds. If we decided to purchase from the internet, how do we get the ring serviced, like getting the setting checked periodically, a thorough cleaning,etc?

Thanks for any help!!

Most of us also have relationships with a local jeweler who is happy to provide these services. The "internet" vendors also are happy to provide these services but you would have to ship it back, which becomes a pain.

It''s not really any different though than buying from a local store and then moving though you know? So many people have rings serviced at places they did not purchase from.

Date: 11/30/2008 8:18:56 PM
Author: neatfreak
Most of us also have relationships with a local jeweler who is happy to provide these services. The ''internet'' vendors also are happy to provide these services but you would have to ship it back, which becomes a pain.

It''s not really any different though than buying from a local store and then moving though you know? So many people have rings serviced at places they did not purchase from.
Ditto. I bought online and I take it to a local jeweler for a nominal fee.

Personally, I think the question is reasonable. Based on shopping for alternatives, local and far away, a consideration of relationships a) in hand, and b) that can be developed, and also, of personality factors...you might want to consider what premium you would value for a local purchase.

Date: 11/30/2008 8:39:23 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 11/30/2008 8:18:56 PM
Author: neatfreak
Most of us also have relationships with a local jeweler who is happy to provide these services. The ''internet'' vendors also are happy to provide these services but you would have to ship it back, which becomes a pain.

Ditto. I bought online and I take it to a local jeweler for a nominal fee.
Ooo....can I mention you? What fee? Independent or chain? Did you propose the fee, or did they?

Yes, that is another thing. We plan to move to another state within the next few years. Besides the internet, we also really like a local jeweler but didn''t know how that would work after we move. I guess the answer is to find a jeweler in our new town.

Thanks!!!

Sometimes if you find an especially nice local jeweler they''ll do cleaning and checking of prongs free. I know a local jewelry store owner who will do those things for free and even rhodium plate for free for me too. (He''s probably an exception, though- the last time I was there, he locked the doors, took me into the back room and pulled out a ton of loose diamonds to play with... he''s a total sweetie!)

Sometimes, you can look up jewelers on yelp.com to find one that in your neighborhood. Or you could ask here for some places if you let us know where you are from.

I ended up purchasing my ring from GOG in NY and then finding a local jeweler in southern California for checks and cleanings (if necessary). If you are not sure, you can even go to some of the mall stores who may do a quick cleaning for you (my own experiences is from Ben Bridge).

Good luck! I know how exciting it can be to look for rings and such. Congratulations!

Date: 12/1/2008 2:32:03 AM
Author: Darthkim
Sometimes, you can look up jewelers on yelp.com to find one that in your neighborhood. Or you could ask here for some places if you let us know where you are from.

I ended up purchasing my ring from GOG in NY and then finding a local jeweler in southern California for checks and cleanings (if necessary). If you are not sure, you can even go to some of the mall stores who may do a quick cleaning for you (my own experiences is from Ben Bridge).

Good luck! I know how exciting it can be to look for rings and such. Congratulations!
Yes, any recommendations for good jewelers in Tampa, Florida would be greatly appreciated!!!

Every retail jeweler wqho is going to survive the current recession needs to give good service to any reasonably polite person who comes their way. Every customer or potential customer is worthwhile to provide good service to. A jeweler who rejects you is likely going to be history in a few months or a year from now. You can get great local service from good retailers. You can also get great service from Internet vendors who sold you the item, too. It might cost more for shipping and the time element may be increased to send jwelry to a distant source, but either way, you should have no fear of a real problem.

The biggest issue arises when a consumer buys a ring which happens to have stone tightness problems. Only the vendor should be doing warranty repairs on such a ring. Once you let Joe, the local jeweler, have a go at it, the warranty is being destroyed. How much extra is it worth to have the implied warranty in place? How much will you save by buying from a distant vendor in the first place? These are questions to ask yourself BEFORE you buy not afterwards.

No one ever is truly stuck with a problem that cannot be solved. Sometimes you must spend money to fix what should have been fixed for free, but this is how you learn who to trust and who to do future business with. Not evrything can be planned prefectly, but fear is not part of the process.

When it comes to diamonds, gems and jewelry you can find the advice you need on Pricescope for any problem at any point in the ownership chain. We don''t promote our individual services, but others who have had experiences are far from shy about telling you who did a good job and who didn''t.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP