shape
carat
color
clarity

She’s here! (Shell cameo with Etruscan Revival mount)

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
She’s arrived safely, and she’s beautiful.

Vendor listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/165118...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

I just love it when vendors’ photos are accurate. Makes shopping so much easier! Also, vendor was very responsive and quite accommodating. Also takes reasonable offers.

On to the cameo. She’s slightly smaller than expected. (Despite measurements being in the listing.) BUT. I’m 5 feet tall, so I don’t mind, aaand, that means the carving is much more fine than in the photos I’ve been sharing (which, in retrospect, I realise were more magnified than I thought.) So I’m very happy I trusted my gut. So the carving looks at least adequate to this happy puppy. I would NOT mind seeing a museum quality cameo in person though, just to compare. I love them.

Despite it being a cameo, the real star here is the mount. The gold threads that make the gold “halo” are so so fine. So lovely. :kiss2: (And also, the reason I love antiques. The craftsmanship is, I feel, quite different from today, par a very few exceptions. Please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Vendor reckons it’s 1860-1880 (from my research, that’s the height of Etruscan Revival, but I’d love to know more about that aesthetic movement.) Stracci (thank you again!) gave 1870-1900 as most likely period. Lightbright thought it might be even older. I wish I could have a precise date. I love history.

The shell part itself is quite jiggly. The whole right part is moving about, but without the risk of falling, just like advertised. I’m in Europe, so I’d love to know what substance to use to safely glue it back to the mount. @stracci2000 recommended something, but that’s not commercially available here.

Pictures!

IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0253.jpeg IMG_0254.jpeg IMG_0255.jpeg

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's such a unique cameo and the frame is incredible! I hope you can figure out the best way to secure the cameo if necessary. I agree with a pendant option which would look amazing!

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
Stunning!

I would wear it as a pendant

Thank you! :kiss2: I love pendants! I wonder where I can find one of those brooch to pendant converters? I’ve first seen them here, but can’t really remember on what thread. I hope it will lie nicely with one of those! (I don’t really want to convert her, I want to keep her as unmodified as possible.)

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
I think it's such a unique cameo and the frame is incredible! I hope you can figure out the best way to secure the cameo if necessary. I agree with a pendant option which would look amazing!

Thank you so much! You’re too kind :kiss2: I hope I can secure it too, it’s so nice, it deserves to be safer than it is now. And of course, it’s frame, not mount! :lol-2: The word kept slipping my mind.

I didn’t think of wearing as a pendant before, but I’m more and more tempted now. ;)2

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sure there are many options for slipping the pin though some contraption with a bail on Etsy or Amazon!

Yes, there are a ton! I've been looking because of my recent brooch purchase.

Rio Grande has gold-filled ones in three widths. I haven't purchased any from them myself, but there are reasonable reviews and I would think you would want the richest gold color you can find for your lovely brooch! https://www.riogrande.com/product/1420-yellow-gold-filled-brooch-converters/637251GP/?code=637251

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so gorgeous! I'm so glad you went ahead and bought her. I love the frame and the fact that she is front facing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
now we need her out and about going on adventures with her new mistress

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really lovely!
I'm glad she's being adored as she deserves!
Those little flower-like elements on the frame are called cannetilles. So delicate!

About the glue, just look for a basic white craft glue. Something that dries clear and is water based. This way it can be removed later, if necessary.
Just a drop, one on each side, applied on the back should do it.

Last edited:

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
I love those cannetilles, yes! They are wonderful.

Regarding the glue: I’ll try with something I already have, that I think is water-based. I’ll check before I use it. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results