shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your rubellites!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok, none of the is this just pink tourmaline or brownish looking stone. Those who have seen it know how gorgeous they can be…

International Colored Gemstobe Association defines it as:
“Rubellite is pink, red, purplish red, orangy red or brownish red tourmaline. It is as beautiful as ruby, but can only be called rubellite if it continues to display the same fine ruby red in artificial light as it does in daylight. If the color changes when the light source does, the stone is called a pink or shocking pink tourmaline.”

So please share your beautiful rubellites here.

Here is one of mine

Same stone on ring finger, holding its own against the mahenge on top, another rubellite in the middle and another of my red rubellite set sideways on my index finger.

Spinel on little finger, the rest are rubellites. Taken while shopping/deciding which of the 3 in the middle I like better.

Icy!!!!!! You've read my mind!!!!! They are indeed fabulous stones and such excellent value for money!!!

My one holds up its colour in any light which was a nice surprise for me even though I'd been assured that it would.

PXL_20220730_135840435.PORTRAIT.jpg

Ok, none of the is this just pink tourmaline or brownish looking stone. Those who have seen it know how gorgeous they can be…

International Colored Gemstobe Association defines it as:
“Rubellite is pink, red, purplish red, orangy red or brownish red tourmaline. It is as beautiful as ruby, but can only be called rubellite if it continues to display the same fine ruby red in artificial light as it does in daylight. If the color changes when the light source does, the stone is called a pink or shocking pink tourmaline.”

So please share your beautiful rubellites here.

My small contributionPXL_20220820_161453899~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_161525443.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_161525443.MP.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 21
Mine, cut by Jeff White, 9mm in diameter:

tml110.jpgjwrubellite_01.jpg20201218_155904.jpg20201218_155230.jpg

DK :))

They are indeed fabulous stones and such excellent value for money!!!

Indeed! They can be so big and bold the way rubies cannot due to sheer size.

Not quite Rubellite but a matched pair of 6ct each pinks

Thanks! This is a great example of pink tourmaline vs rubellite. I was told that it must have some red in the stone to qualify as rubellite.

My small contribution

I see quite a bit of brown but knowing how tricky photography can be, does it look redder in real life?

Mine, cut by Jeff White, 9mm in diameter:

Classic rubellite, and a rare round at that. Beautiful!

Indeed! They can be so big and bold the way rubies cannot due to sheer size.

Thanks! This is a great example of pink tourmaline vs rubellite. I was told that it must have some red in the stone to qualify as rubellite.

I see quite a bit of brown but knowing how tricky photography can be, does it look redder in real life?

Classic rubellite, and a rare round at that. Beautiful!

Yes, for whatever reason it comes out more brown in pictures, but is red with a hint of purple in hand.

Wow! The examples in this thread are so RED!! They look like juicy, sun-ripened berries. :love: Mine is a really saturated hot pink with a medium tone... not as red or dark. But it doesn't brown-out in any lighting, so I suppose it's technically a rubellite. I specifically bought it to set in a ring flanked by 2 mandarin garnets and pave diamonds. Someone has a mandarin garnet ring with a halo of pink spinels, and that was my inspiration. Anyone know the ring I'm talking about? It belongs to a regular contributor, but I can't think of who! I lurrrve that thing!! Anyway... beautimous eye candy, ladies.

Captureeee.JPG

Wow! The examples in this thread are so RED!! They look like juicy, sun-ripened berries. :love: Mine is a really saturated hot pink with a medium tone... not as red or dark. But it doesn't brown-out in any lighting, so I suppose it's technically a rubellite. I specifically bought it to set in a ring flanked by 2 mandarin garnets and pave diamonds. Someone has a mandarin garnet ring with a halo of pink spinels, and that was my inspiration. Anyone know the ring I'm talking about? It belongs to a regular contributor, but I can't think of who! I lurrrve that thing!! Anyway... beautimous eye candy, ladies.

Captureeee.JPG

Ooh when is this happening Autumn????? Can't wait to see it!

Smaller 7x9 rubellite (but larger for me and super affordable given my small stone budget)

20220908_142445.jpg20220908_142416.jpg

Thanks for the thread on an under appreciated stone.. forgot I had it and realize it needs to be worn!

Last edited:
I know this has been discussed before but does anyone know anything else about the irradiation of rubellite?

Do we just assume it's all irradiated?

Does it even matter since the labs can't tell?

I know this has been discussed before but does anyone know anything else about the irradiation of rubellite?

Do we just assume it's all irradiated?

Does it even matter since the labs can't tell?

Nigerian Rubellite find in the 90's and early 2000's was documented that most were untreated. They came out of the ground that good, and they had some spectacular stones. $40 to $60 a carat back then.

The rest is a coin toss. So, I suppose it really only matters to the people who might think there is a chance their Rubellite is irradiated by man, which is something that happen to them naturally in mother earths ground and just like any other treatment some stones come out great and some not so great.

Hi,

I think Rubelite is one of the most under-rated stones around..I love the red. It is so rare for me to see how many of you have this beautiful red rubelite. I have 2 hot pink that was sold to me as Rubelite, but I think there should be more red( I wish). Isn't Rubelite a stone classified like emerald with inclusions, (class three). Mine are very clean. The photos on here also look clean. I wouldn't worry about radiation if it can't be detected.

Annette

Hi,

I think Rubelite is one of the most under-rated stones around..I love the red. It is so rare for me to see how many of you have this beautiful red rubelite. I have 2 hot pink that was sold to me as Rubelite, but I think there should be more red( I wish). Isn't Rubelite a stone classified like emerald with inclusions, (class three). Mine are very clean. The photos on here also look clean. I wouldn't worry about radiation if it can't be detected.

Annette

Yes, the GIA considers Rubellite a type 3 stone such as Emerald, with that said, there are rumors of a very new irradiation process for Rubellite, especially stones out of Afghanistan, from Pakistan dealers.

I have a good friend who has worked for AIGS, Gubelin and now GRS, labs. This new process is being guarded very heavily and they are having problems penetrating getting the facts. This came up in a conversation between him and I when I wrote to him I’m seeing an amazing amount of eye clean and better Rubellites coming out of Pakistan dealers, more so than I have ever seen this clean at any time and thought this was very strange. He told me it is highly suspected there is a new irradiation technique. This is info that really has not been made public yet, but something is up. Rubellite can be eye clean and sometimes better, but not like I’m seeing today and in such bright red color and in such amounts.

Hmmm *glances at her clean giant heart suspiciously*

Here is one of mine

Same stone on ring finger, holding its own against the mahenge on top, another rubellite in the middle and another of my red rubellite set sideways on my index finger.

Spinel on little finger, the rest are rubellites. Taken while shopping/deciding which of the 3 in the middle I like better.

AMAZING stuff! Some of those suckers look as red as a good Ruby.

Icy!!!!!! You've read my mind!!!!! They are indeed fabulous stones and such excellent value for money!!!

My one holds up its colour in any light which was a nice surprise for me even though I'd been assured that it would.

PXL_20220730_135840435.PORTRAIT.jpg

Beautiful rings! Is the big green gemstone jade?

Smaller 7x9 rubellite (but larger for me and super affordable given my small stone budget)

20220908_142445.jpg20220908_142416.jpg

Thanks for the thread on an under appreciated stone.. forgot I had it and realize it needs to be worn!

Gorgeous!

I have a pretty three carat rubellite tourmaline that veers significantly more on the pink side. It is slightly included, but still looks pretty great as a pendant Stone. I'll have to dig it out of the closet and take a picture of it this weekend.

Great pics, gang!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics