shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire Pendants

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wdigshopper

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy a solitaire pendant soon for my fiancee and was hoping to get some help from the expertise of the pricescope members. When looking at diamonds for the pendant, what is most important? Color, cut, clarity? Is there an ideal size for a pendant? Right now, I''ve looked at the blue nile and whiteflash ones but am open to suggestions for other sources as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cut, color, then clarity IMO. I''d choose an ACA or other gorgeous stone from WF and then have it set in the pendant of your choice.

Size depends on what you can spend! I have a .25 and a .38 both in bezels and they are great sizes but I certainly wouldn''t turn down something bigger either!

Date: 12/3/2008 2:02:43 PM
Author:wdigshopper
I am looking to buy a solitaire pendant soon for my fiancee and was hoping to get some help from the expertise of the pricescope members. When looking at diamonds for the pendant, what is most important? Color, cut, clarity? Is there an ideal size for a pendant? Right now, I've looked at the blue nile and whiteflash ones but am open to suggestions for other sources as well.

Welcome!

Cut is what gives any diamond its beauty so it is important to concentrate on that. For pendants, stones with shallower angles can sometimes be a good choice as they are not subject to the same viewing conditions as diamonds in rings, so the Holloway Cut Advisor can help you find diamonds which might be suitable. Here is more info on that but use the usage warnings as guidelines and not as strict rules. http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp

But some just buy a well cut and balanced diamond for their pendants, so you do have options. Clarity, you can consider SI clarity or even an eyeclean - eyecleanish I1 ( GIA or AGS graded) as again pendant diamonds are not under the same scrutiny as rings. Colour, personal preference, if you want the most bang for your buck, I or J or even K colour can help with this, but it is up to your budget and taste.

Size, again depends on your budget and colour/ clarity preferences but a third to half carat and above appear to be popular sizes.

Date: 12/3/2008 2:02:43 PM
Author:wdigshopper
I am looking to buy a solitaire pendant soon for my fiancee and was hoping to get some help from the expertise of the pricescope members. When looking at diamonds for the pendant, what is most important? Color, cut, clarity? Is there an ideal size for a pendant? Right now, I've looked at the blue nile and whiteflash ones but am open to suggestions for other sources as well.

I don't think there's an ideal size for a pendant. Anything pretty much works :).

As neatfreak and Lorei said, the cut of the stone matters most. But I'm anal about clarity in certain sizes and probably wouldn't go below a VS2 in something a carat or bigger. I'd rather go down a color grade. I am in the minority with that though.

edited to add: Good Old Gold is another great source for stones. It's where I purchased the diamond for my pendant.

Cut first, then colour, then clarity. I think that any size goes for a pendant. I recently tried on a 1/3 carat and it looked great, bigger than I thought it would actually. How do you plan to set the stone?

I was thinking of either a bezel set because I like how it''s incorporated into the necklace but would also like a 3-4 prong set if it''s set in a similar fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP