shape
carat
color
clarity

Some advice on a S 2,29CT SI2?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

New to the forum, but have read many posts here and seems like a great place for advice. So, now it is my turn to ask:
face1.gif

I am considering the diamond described below for my girlfriend''s engagement ring - set as a single solataire. It seems like a great peice and the price is certainly below similar 4C diamonds I have found - here are my questions (and many thanks in advance for your advice!)

1. Should I be concerned about the fact that it is lower cost? Price here is about $9,000 per/ct. Does that seem right? The cert is from late November 2008 - is there any chance that diamond prices have come down of late leading to the lower cost as it may have been cheaper to acquire (I may be reaching here!)
2. I have not seen the diamond (found online), and as you can see, the report says "additional clouds not shown" - how mcuh should I worry?
3. The stone is AGS certified and the picture on the cert shows very faint small clouds in the center of the diamond - should I be very concerned about the location of them as they are under the pavilion?
4. Additinal facet? should I be concerned?
5. What are your thoughts on the proportions?

THANKS again for thoughts - I really appreciate it!

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.42 - 8.46 x 5.23 mm
Carat Weight: 2.298
Total Depth: 61.9%
Table: 56.5%
Girdle Description: Thin to Thick, Faceted
Culet: Pointed
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)
Clarity Grade: AGS 6 (SI2)
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:

Additional clouds are not shown.

Table: 56.5%
Crown Angle: 36.0
Crown Height: 15.8%
Girdle: Faceted, 2.0% to 5.3%
Pavilion Angle: 40.5
Pavilion Depth: 42.6%
Star Length: 59%
Lower Girdle Length: 82%
Total Depth: 61.9%
Culet Verbose: Pointed

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
WHOOPS - sorry - subject says "S" color... hit the wrong button ... meant "D"

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a FIC on the HCA, score a 0.9.

I would say call up the vendor to check if it is eye-clean and if the additional clouds will affect the performance of the stone. Sound like that could be one of the reason of the cheap price.

Also, make sure the vendor have a good return policy.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks stone-cold. Vendor is Blue Nile and I believe they have a 30 day return...

They did an eye-clean test and said it was... do I trust that?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

The diamond looks promising, it falls within what we call fiery ideal cut range which means it may lend itself to a show of a little extra fire if the lighting is right. As to the clouds, check carefully with the vendor that they are not causing a loss of brilliance and that the diamond is eyeclean to your standards, it is a large diamond and some SI2 can be eyeclean in this size and some may not be. I would proceed by clarifying with the vendor if the diamond is eyeclean and request an Idealscope image.

Ok I see it is with BN, they won't be able to offer you an Idealscope image, but check very carefully whether the diamond is eyeclean and meets your standards or not. They do have a 30 day return policy so you could get an independant appraisal in that time if you want an expert opinion.

Edit - it is important to make sure the BN rep understands YOUR expectations concerning whether this diamond will be eyeclean enough to you, if you don't want to see any inclusions from any angle from close scrutiny then make sure they understand that.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone is definitely promising and I personally LOVE Fics!!! However, there is a chance it won''t be eye clean...but no harm in ordering and returning. Registered mail with the post office is a very inexpensive and safe way to ship it back if necessary.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As others have said, it has potential, but usually if a stone is priced much lower than other comparables there is a reason for it.

dcsearcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement all!

Would you recommend just buying the stone in this case and not having it set? I know at BN you can return both stones and set rings, but I wonder if it will be better to examine the diamond out of the setting....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 2:39:04 PM
Author: dcsearcher

Would you recommend just buying the stone in this case and not having it set? I know at BN you can return both stones and set rings, but I wonder if it will be better to examine the diamond out of the setting....

Yes it would be better to examine it out of the setting if you have the time. You could send it to an independent appraiser during that time and get a professional evaluation of it for a hundred bucks or so.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2008 2:40:30 PM
Author: neatfreak

Yes it would be better to examine it out of the setting if you have the time. You could send it to an independent appraiser during that time and get a professional evaluation of it for a hundred bucks or so.
Ditto, here is a tool you can use to find an independant appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 2:40:30 PM
Author: neatfreak

I also think this is a good idea, and I believe that if you want a BN setting you can always ship it back and they can put it in one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results