shape
carat
color
clarity

Soon to be engaged and need your help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foreverl

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m new to the forum and basically don''t know anything about diamonds. I just bought a solasfera at Kay for $2700, retail for $2999. Is it a good price? Should I return and get something better for the price?

Shape/Cut: Solasfera Round Brilliant
Measurement: 5.14-5.18 x 3.14 MM.
Weight: 0.50 CT(S)
Color Grade: Near Colorless(I)
Clarity Grade: SI(2)
Cut Grade: Excellent
Finish:Polish/Symmetry: EX/EX
Treatment: None

14 karat gold mounting ring - 2.8dwt.

What does the setting look like? I think that you did pay more than you could have. Do you have the option of returning it and starting over like you mentioned?

I somehow missed that it was a branded cut, disregard my advice. I don''t know enough about Solasfera cut to truly advise. I can guess that being Kay''s that you paid more than you needed to.

They said that I could return the stone back within 90 days. As for the setting, I think the ring is in white gold and set in platinum.

I didn't know Kays sold solasfera, but i know Goodoldgold.com does sell them. If you want to know if you got a good price i would contact them and ask them how much a stone of your size and specs would cost. Yes, what does the setting look like? Just so you know, if your not already set on the solasfera cut that you can get a bigger stone with your budget in a ideal cut RB, not sure if that matters to you or not...

Personally, I'd rather purchase from goodoldgold than from Kays...

Found a 0.51c I VVS1 stone at GOG for $2520 link.

So definitely overpriced IMO unless there is something special about the setting.

This 0.60ct G SI2 Solasfera is $2,732 gives you an idea on prices, however this one is slightly bigger and a higher colour.

There you go foreverl...its seems to be Kays is overpriced.

So how did you get the price Stone-cold11? Please do tell!
3.gif

Date: 12/1/2008 7:57:50 PM
Author: Mrs W
There you go foreverl...its seems to be Kays is overpriced.

So how did you get the price Stone-cold11? Please do tell!
3.gif

You just need to reserve the stone, the price will show up in the shopping cart. :P

How do you guys know the prices on GOG stones when they aren''t listed? What am I missing?

Also - it seems like the price in the OP includes the setting. So maybe not so overpriced in that case? Just asking.

It says to call for the price so that is all you need to do.... Also shows up in the shopping cart. Just hit reserve diamond

So how much did you guys think I got charged overprice for the ring at Kay? If it''s within ~$100-$200 I think I may just keep it. The setting is a 4 prong platinum head and white gold ring so i figure it''ll cost around ~$300? I also got the $1000 gift certificate for my purchase but I''m not too fond of it. I have to spend basically $3,000 minimum to use the certificate within the period Jan-June, 09.

Isn''t David S the cutter for the Solasfera diamonds? Maybe you can call him up and check how much he charges.

http://www.davidsdiamonds.com

Well, i''m a bit shocked that you did indeed picked up a solasfera at kays, (didn''t know they carried them), It''s hard to gauge if you did get a decent deal or not. I''m glad to hear that they are starting to hit mainstream...

This being a I VVS1 for 2520 at GOG,

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5216/

My HUMBLE estimate (just a wild guess) is that your stone cost was maybe around 1K to 1.25K? an 0.68 ideal AGS000 on GOG is around 1500. (as a source of reference)

More often than not, you will pay more at a B&M store, but that might be ok, depending upon the situation.
In addition, unlike most stones at a B&M mall store, if it is truly a solasfera (did you get the cert and the GIA cert with it?), then it should be a true I SI2.

This all being said, I''ve seen a couple solasfera''s and they are some amazing diamonds.

Sorry, if this is not what you expected.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP