shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel Red

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi All, I almost complete my trip and as well my spinel collection.
Pleased to share some photos of mine.

Best wishes.

SPINEL1.JPG

Total weigh 2.26 cts

SPINEL2.JPG

All spinel.

MVC-017Ss.JPG

Lovely red.

TrueRed.JPG

Hi there,

If you''re a spinel lover - here''s a rare and quite unusual color change spinel for you. It is a 3CT+ very stong color change item: http://www.imperialjewels.com/shop_products.asp?cat=1&srhgemgroup=SN&srhsubGemGroup=PSP&srhSubmit=yes.

DA000863A.jpg

Rarely, and beknown to many, color change spinels are found. The phenomenon is created by a near-equal transmission of the blue-green and red portions of the color spectrum, coupled with very strong absorption in the yellow (the color spectrum comprises of the rainbow''s colors, ranging from red, orange, yellow, green, blue to violet). As a result, the color of color change spinel is dependant on the spectral strength and position of the light source. Incandescent light is strongly tilted to the red end, thus causing color change gem to appear reddish. Daylight is more equally balanced - and since our eyes are most sensitive to green bluish light, the balance is tipped to the bluish or greenish side in daylight. The strength of the color change is related to the difference or "gap" between two light sources, relative to the absorption in the yellow. The greater the difference, the stronger the color change spinel we see. 100% natural, they are true jewels and are one of my favorites!

Hello Simon,
Do you have photos of your spinels under different light that are close to what you see in reality?
Just curious...
These spinels are from Tunduru in Tanzania I guess?
All the best,

Hi there Vincent,

The picture above is a split, non-photoshopped picture photographed under daylight with a narrow focused incandescent beam placed on the table of the gem to create the split daylight-incandescent photo effect seen - you can see the rounded torch lens reflected off the table in the photo above. The photography technique does not require any digital manipulation and is very close, if not identical, to how the eye sees the gem under daylight with a narrow focused incandescent beam placed onto it. I use this color change gem photo technique as it is a complete break with the artificial photoshop reliant techniques used by numerous Thai based on-line colored gem retailers.

The photograph below is the start color as seen in daylight. It is an unusual deep purple chromium heavy specimen (and perhaps vandium too - however, I am not sure about secondary coloring elements) . There have been a number of them around in Chanthaburi over the last few months and they can exhibit very good color change or shift.

DA000863C.jpg

Hope all is well,

Simon.

Hi, Tunduru!

What a beautiful stone!!!
30.gif

I''m a total layman...am I right in understanding that the first picture is sort of mixed indoor/out door, and the second is outdoor?

Do you have a picture of it simply indoor? I''d love to see it.

It''s GORGEOUS!!

Here''s a picture of another beauty I found on your website...absolutely stunning!

widget

DA000870A.jpg

Hello Tunduru,
My best love is pure red spinel but recently I got a blue pink-shade 3ct+ sapphire as the one you posted. Mine shows more pink under incandescent light. Will try to post a photo of it. Regards.

Total weigh 4.85 cts. Spinel

SPINEL4.JPG

Hi...

I thought fellow spinel lovers might enjoy this carved rose spinel from www.gemwow.com .

It''s tiny...under one carat...but I''m in love!

widget

gemwow.jpg

Two-zone pink and blue sapphire.

colorchangesapphire.jpg

Here is a 2.37 ct red spinel that I purchased about 18 years ago. The photo probably didn''t capture the exact color, but it is similar to a good Thai ruby. The setting does not do it justice. I am considering setting the stone in a Michael B micro pave or Michael Beaudry type setting, but it''s hard to justify the expense as I paid only $700 for the spinel.

Art Nouveau

spinel_an.jpg

I remarked fine red spinel price took a big hike since the last two years at the sources. It would be interesting to know how much you would pay for it now 18 years later. It might well justify your spending on the new setting
1.gif

Art Nouveau -- I was just thinking the same thing earlier today! I LOVE the Michael B micro pave settings but I don''t plan to change/upgrade my e-ring, so this was my idea for getting the Michael B!
2.gif
You should think of it this way -- since you paid such a good price for the spinel (esp. vs. a ruby), you are entitled to splurge on the setting!

Cath,

I like your logic. My red spinel does deserve a better setting but it won''t be an original Michael B. I have not followed the price of spinels closely, but I am guessing it will cost ~$1000 per carat or more, to buy the stone again today.

Art Nouveau

Depending on color and clarity, it could be well over 2000 per carat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP