shape
carat
color
clarity

Star ruby advice needed

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, hope you are doing good in these crazy times. Being stuck at home has given me time to browse around and look at shiny pebbles and I stumbled upon this auction

I decided to bid on it, kinda in the spur of the moment, mainly attracted by the size, the unheated part and the asterism doesn't seem too bad for a stone this size (I have seen other star rubies in this size and bigger but the star usually looks splotchy or almost like a cat eye). I still have to pay for it so I can still cancel the order, what worries me is the wonky cut (it's not dome-like, the angles go straight down and a lot of weight is at the bottom, but it still faces up pretty big as far as I could see comparing other star rubies around the net) and the scratches. The dark colour doesn't bother me at all (still I know is far from market ideal).

So I'm asking, is the stone even worth the price? What do you think in general? I know it's not a steal or anything but I have seen fracture filled stones in the 6-8 carats range for the same price on GemSelect (cut is better though).

I remember a similar thread with a star corundum and OP was asking about price and maybe even reselling possibilities, but I couldn't find it, so I decided to ask directly.

Thanks

Unfortunately you won't see the star In most lights, and it looks cracked. So it's good you didnt pay much, but IMHO it isn't worth the price.

It's more of a rock than a gem. Opaque and too big to do anything with, imo. I don't think you got "taken" but I don't think it has any gem value, either. It's good for bragging rights ("I have a huge star ruby").

What do you think the price should be? I could always send it back or cancel the order. I don't know honestly, I don't think the star looks super bad, but again not an expert

What do you think the price should be?

Well, it's hard to say that any gem should be less than $1 per carat so, as I said, I don't think you got taken. Seller's time alone in taking photos and posting the ad is probably worth the $79 or so that you paid. I would not pay a penny for it, but as a rock collector in my youth, I may have wanted it at your price point. I guess see if it creates $79 worth of joy or not.

This is probably not the right forum to gauge whether this is worth $1 per carat or not.

Mmmh thanks, is there any sources useful for this specific question (star ruby value)? Tried looking around, but I don't seem to find a lot

As I said I found fracture filled stones much smaller at the same price and stones in the same price range where the star seems super splotchy. I'm really confused

As I said I found fracture filled stones much smaller at the same price and stones in the same price range where the star seems super splotchy. I'm really confused

It's completely opaque. It is not a gem-quality piece. You really can not compare it to any "gemmy" piece of any size, treated or untreated. It's "ruby" in the same sense that my garage is full of sapphires -- all in the form of emery stuck to sandpaper. I have millions and millions of tiny sapphires and they are all untreated (!) but they are not worth anything, individually. Together, they make a $1 sheet of sandpaper.

You will only find guidance on value where people are deciding whether to lay out a lot of money. You can find out what a loaded, low-miles, 2018 Camry "should" cost but not what a thread-stripped rusty bolt "should" cost.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics