shape
carat
color
clarity

Strap on Louis Vuitton Pochette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I recently spent a few days in Miami and on one of the days we hopped up to the Bal Harbour shops. I purchased a LV Damier Ebene pochette as a fun little evening bag, but the strap concerns me. It''s made of a cheap dark brown plastic covered leather, and where it loops through the D ring, it''s a little torn and seems to splitting a little more each time I use the bag.

I called Louis Vuitton to see if I could get a replacement strap, and they said it wouldn''t be a problem to get one.

My question is this: can I also buy a chain shoulder strap (as seen on the Eva)? I''d like the option of a more sturdy strap, as well as the luxury of occasionally switching up the lengths at which I wear the bag. Does LV sell individual straps?

Thanks a bunch! :)

Date: 2/27/2010 8:16:24 PM
Author:DearBuddha
DH and I recently spent a few days in Miami and on one of the days we hopped up to the Bal Harbour shops. I purchased a LV Damier Ebene pochette as a fun little evening bag, but the strap concerns me. It''s made of a cheap dark brown plastic covered leather, and where it loops through the D ring, it''s a little torn and seems to splitting a little more each time I use the bag.

I called Louis Vuitton to see if I could get a replacement strap, and they said it wouldn''t be a problem to get one.

My question is this: can I also buy a chain shoulder strap (as seen on the Eva)? I''d like the option of a more sturdy strap, as well as the luxury of occasionally switching up the lengths at which I wear the bag. Does LV sell individual straps?

Hmm, I don''t know what you mean by "cheap dark brown plastic covered leather." The leather on my Damier bag does not look like cheap plastic leather at all. I''m sorry that you''re having issues with your strap. I''ve never heard of anyone just buying a chain strap from Louis Vuitton--that''s something you should call and ask about or maybe post on a forum dedicated to LV or purses. Good luck :)

Date: 2/27/2010 8:16:24 PM
Author:DearBuddha

Yup. LV will sell you the leather straps. But not the chains as far as I am aware. Call the informaton line for confirmation.

If you go to the store, the manager will let you know if your bag is real LV and I imagine will be interested in the issues you are having with the strap. It should not be wearing so badly and I would expect a repair free of charge.

BTW The strap alone will set you back more than €100.

There are many reputable resellers of preowned LV and you can pick up really affordable LV there, I would use the resellers as a scrapyard if I wanted something like a strap. Cheaper than buying new and it will have already aged so as to better blend. That and it is much cheaper.

The bag is absolutely real; I can bring my receipt from Bal Harbour if I need to, and I know Louis Vuitton keeps individual records of the items one purchases.

I thought I might post a photo to show exactly what I mean.

First, the plastic-y looking strap:

louis 1.5.jpg

Another view of the strap

louis 2.jpg

And where it''s starting to tear at the loop:

louis 3.jpg

Is this just normal wear and tear? I just bought the bag last week and don''t want to risk spreading the rip, but I spent a good amount of money and want to be able to use my bag when I go out.

The regular monogram pochette and the damier azure pochette have the traditional leather strap (lighter color, more consistent texture, ect), but the strap on my damier ebene seems to be of a very different quality. I don''t understand why I''m having this problem.

WOW. I have three pochettes and none of their straps look like that, even after years of use.

Bring it in with the receipt asap. To answer your Q, yes, that''s not normal for a LV.

In my early days of buying designer handbags, I owned a few Louis Vuitton bags. Unless things have changed over the years, this is what I remember:

1. For canvas bags (body made of canvas like the one you have), the edges'' lining including straps are always vachetta leather (light tan color that gets stained by water easily and patina when aged),
2. For leather bags, the straps are made of the matching leather, such as epi leather straps for epi leather body and Suhali leather straps for Suhali leather body.

I have never seen a combination of leather or plastic straps (very astonished if LV makes something out of plastic!
32.gif
) with canvas body like your bag.

I suggest that you post in the purse forum and ask the experts there to help you.

Thanks for the advice, Fancydiamond. I actually took my pochette to the Copley LV store here in Boston and they replaced the strap with no problem whatsoever. They were really fantastic and understanding and the customer service was superb :)

Date: 3/7/2010 7:08:25 PM
Author: DearBuddha
Thanks for the advice, Fancydiamond. I actually took my pochette to the Copley LV store here in Boston and they replaced the strap with no problem whatsoever. They were really fantastic and understanding and the customer service was superb :)
Great customer service, in line with expectation from a company that makes high quality products. Glad that everything works out for you.
After I posted my comments, I went to check the Damier line and found that the strap was indeed dark color (which makes sense due to matching of the darker Damier). The strap is made of leather, and not plastic.

I have one like yours for a few years and I take that bag everywhere I go, rain or shine and the strips are good as new. I would just take that bag in to an actual LV boutique and have the experts take a look at it. They will take care of you.

Hi Gorrie,

This is my first LV (I''m a die hard Fendi and Coach fan!), so obviously I wanted to make sure that if I was spending that much money on something, I shouldn''t have to be concerned with quality control. Thankfully the staff at LV understood that and were fantastically accomodating. Considering that this particular purse is cheap in comparison to others, they were really great at giving me equal consideration and help. I''ll absolutely be buying another Vuitton in the near future! :)

Great to hear!!! They always help me out with any problems I had with any of my LV bags! Enjoy it!

36.gif

Date: 3/9/2010 9:07:26 AM
Author: DearBuddha
Hi Gorrie,

This is my first LV (I''m a die hard Fendi and Coach fan!), so obviously I wanted to make sure that if I was spending that much money on something, I shouldn''t have to be concerned with quality control. Thankfully the staff at LV understood that and were fantastically accomodating. Considering that this particular purse is cheap in comparison to others, they were really great at giving me equal consideration and help. I''ll absolutely be buying another Vuitton in the near future! :)
I''m delighted to read this; thanks for the update.

I hate the LV''s quality is so sucky at the moment. And I don''t think that the pochette is cheap, cheaper sure but it is a great deal of money- certainly more than enough for them to get a quality item out of the factory. Yeah, mistakes happen but at LV they are happening too often.

My last speedy was not stitched properly and had to go back ; I was surprised to see first hand that items with obvious quality issues get out for sale.

That said, I am delighted they replaced the strap for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP