shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions on a 1 ct (or larger), G/H, SI1 stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

puravida

Shiny_Rock
After finding Pricescope a few months ago I have been able to learn so much about diamonds and the knowledge I''ve gained is invaluable. Pre-Pricescope I was thinking that in choosing a stone for an engagement for, the lowest I should go should be VS2/F. But after being enlightened by all the info on the importance of cut, I am now trying to source out a round brilliant diamond that is at least 1 ct., no better that G or H in colour and no better than an "eyeclean" SI1. Ideally I''d like a stone that exhibits true H&A. A top-notch cut would be my #1 priority. Next would be budget. I''m looking to find something for $6000-$7000.....Canadian.

Shopping around locally (outisde Toronto) I''ve found one independant vendor near me, Damiani, whom I would feel comfortable buying from. I haven''t yet sat down with them to look at stones but I constantly check their online stock. (Which is frustrating since they don''t post all the stone''s specs on line.) Also, most of their stones are GIA or Gemscan certed. I haven''t found any places locally that carry AGS certed stones.

I''ve tried online vendors like Whiteflash and GOG, but I can''t seem to find anything with those specs in my pricerange. i.e. I can find things for 6000-7000 US, but that would blow the budget in Canadian
7.gif

So, has anybody come across any stones they could draw my attention to? I''m not asking y''all to do the dirty work for me but I just can''t seem to find anything that meets my desired specs, passes the HCA "test", and is within the budget.

If I won''t be able to stay within the budget for a 1-1.5 ct, G/H, SI1....what would be a more realisitic combo of specs that would give me a super cut stone that still faced up white? I''ve seen pics posted here of some pretty icy-white looking I/J stones but I haven''t been able to find one that meets the rest of my desires.

Also, when I pull up the "microscopic" pics of the advertised stones on GOGs website, for instance, the noted inclusions in the SI1s look so darn scary!!! I''m assuming this is because the pic is blown up so much. So what would the photo of an "eyeclean" stone look like? Could it be possible to have the inclusions looks so big and front and centre on the blown up pics but have it still turn out to be eyeclean?

Thanks for any advice!

Icce

Shiny_Rock
I am not sure you want an I but this is 100% eye clean from top and side (call to confirm as well). I know because I was considering it and they went through like 20 diamonds to find an eye clean one from them. I know the magnifcation looks a little scary but just thought I would let you know.

AGS-8137706 1.073 ct I SI2 A Cut Above H&A $5220 less PS discounts

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-260699.htm

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4772/

Maybe this is one you already checked out. GOG is great at pointing out exactly where the inclusions are. But these photos are at 10X. Some inclusions are more noticeable than others and that''s why you want to call these vendors and have them look at the stone and describe it to you.

What is your US budget? Most of us aren''t familiar with the exchange rate.

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

U should try Martin Sheffield at USA Certed Diamonds. Especially if you live in Canada..... HE IS AWESOME!
19.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2008 12:41:07 AM
Author: swingirl

Maybe this is one you already checked out. GOG is great at pointing out exactly where the inclusions are. But these photos are at 10X. Some inclusions are more noticeable than others and that''s why you want to call these vendors and have them look at the stone and describe it to you.

This one would be a great choice if it works with your budget.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 8:08:51 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/4/2008 12:41:07 AM
Author: swingirl

This one would be a great choice if it works with your budget.
Ditto

puravida

Shiny_Rock
I guess my price range would be 5000-5700 US (maybe up to 6000US), though don''t quote me on the exact exchange rate.

The suggestions posted would be within my price range, thanks for pointing them out. I''ve never really considered an I, but wouldn''t write them off completely. I could shop around locally to see what an I looks like in person but unless I''m looking at a stone that is cut similarily to the ones suggested, it''ll be like comparing apples with oranges. From the photo, the GOG stone looks a bit yellowish. Might jsut be the photo.

Icce: any specific reason that you DIDN''t pick the stone you suggested above? Just wondering if there turned out to be something undesireable about it.It does get a 5 star WF rating but the AGS report looks so darn scary!

Lenemama: Did you get a stone from Martin at USA certed? How did you find his prices?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Icce

Shiny_Rock
The reason was in local jewely stores I can personaly see the difference in diamonds lower than H (of corse these arent the best cuts though but I didn't want to risk the same result). This might not be a problem for you. There is alot of drawing on the picture but the lady who has been helping me for 2 weeks says it is eye clean. I dont know looking at all that drawing, if I would get it even if it was a H or above, but thought I would let you know which Si2 was eye clean there since she check almost all of them for me in the 1ct range.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you like the look of an H color you won''t be able to tell it from an I color unless you are a graduate gemologist, though some will tell you different.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the lab that grades the stone you were looking at at the B&M? I am betting EGL.

J2K

Rough_Rock
Here are a few sub-carats from James Allen that could work. They are slightly under a carat, but they're also F/SI1, so they will be white... and hopefully eye clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1201076.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197104.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

I was in the same situation as you, with about the same budget and ended up with a .91 F/SI1 instead of a full carat stone. With an ideal cut, it will face up larger than a lot of 1 ct. stones you will see at B&M stores.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 3:36:36 PM
Author: Icce
The reason was in local jewely stores I can personaly see the difference in diamonds lower than H (of corse these arent the best cuts though but I didn''t want to risk the same result). This might not be a problem for you. There is alot of drawing on the picture but the lady who has been helping me for 2 weeks says it is eye clean. I dont know looking at all that drawing, if I would get it even if it was a H or above, but thought I would let you know which Si2 was eye clean there since she check almost all of them for me in the 1ct range.

#1 cut DOES make a huge difference in color. An ideal cut stone will hide color much better than a poorly cut stone.

#2 you aren''t comparing apples to apples unless these stones in the B&M''s were also graded by GIA or AGS. If it was anything else assume the real color grade you were looking at was at least a few lower than H.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results