shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite ring question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zsusana

Rough_Rock
I have done extensive research on tanzanite and it seems that this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10267&item=4956598187&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

is a good value for the money, perhaps even too good, which is why I am posting here, in hopes of getting some second and third opinions on the ring. I realize that you can''t wear a tanzanite ring everyday, and I would probably have the stone re-set, as it does not look protected, and because I do not like the style of this setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to decide what to do within a few days.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

I have a few peices of tanzanite jewelry, but I am no expert on the stone. I think that one you posted looks more like a sapphire because it is so blue. I prefer the purplish tanzanites myself.

It looks beautiful (in the picture) to me. The larger the tanzanite the easier it is for the color saturation to be good. Since this is a relatively large stone it is not as rare to see good saturation as it would be in a smaller stone. The seller's feedback looks good and she has been a seller as well as a buyer. I think it's great to find a tanzanite that looks like a sapphire!

I am not a gemologist or a gem expert, just a consumer who owns some colored stones (including one piece of tanzanite set in a ring). I wouldn't want you to buy something based only on my opinion...but, for what it's worth, my opinion is that it looks great.

I like it. It looks very nice and I agree it does look a bit like a sapphire. I also am not a ceertified gemmologist although I have studied a little and I ahve a huge interest in gems. I like it a lot but I think it may be wise to email the seller first and check out their return policy in case you have it appraised and it turns out to be a sapphire or synthetic etc but that is my advice for any puchase
2.gif

I''ll give you the long and short of this one.

To the experienced gem dealer, the best tanzanite is the one that shows the most blue, with absolutely no trace of violet.

Why? Because such stones hold their color better across all light sources.

By contrast, violet tanzanites tend to show major shifts from one light to another.

At the same time, the intensity of the hue is crucial. More intense is better. And in small stones (sub-5-ct.), high intensity is hard to come by.

Hope that helps.

Richard,
True,... Tanzanite color has been a dilhema for most dealers since the sixties,...
You will find very few today who are after the pure blue anymore,..
As a long time Tanzanite and Blue Sapphire dealer I can say that Tanzanite is no longer beeing accepted as replacement for more expensive Blue Sapphire and its properties are being appreciated and recognized for it''s own beauty.
Tanzanite is known for it''s mesmerizing trichronic color,... it turns different colors when viewed from different directions. From one side it looks blue , from another it looks purple and if it is good enough from another view should show pinkish red . The most sought after color of Tanzanite on todays market is strong violetish blue , medium dark - dark toned. Theese gems if well cut, should show as deep velvety blue with slight secondary violet on daylight and they should turn to deep purple blue with red flashes in incadescent light. Showing awesome colorplay under hallogen light. Theese gems are hard to find and hard to keep in stock ,...
Elizabeth,
I would like to comment on the 5ct Tanzanite ring from Ebay,.. I trully love Ebay and I think there are a great sellers using it . I would like to stay away from negative comments but there are just too many things I need to point out for you.
The seller seems to be not giving a proper gemological information on the particular gem!,.. I don''t think the reserve would be at couple of hundred but you know what? The item may not be worth more than that!
I think you should request proper appraisal / inspection by gemologist before you place your bid !,.. Why waste shipping costs? The seller is talking about high replacement value but I trully think there may be a catch. Why? First of all Tanzanite always photographs darker than it is, plus I seem to see a window , showing that this gem may be badly cut. plus the fact the ring was worn for three months is not so great because it looks very used on the pictures,.. This may mean that you will most likely need to have the gem repolished and if you find a window , posibly recut,.. You can possibly end up with 25-35% less Tanzanite , of yet unknown quality plus modification of the setting etc,.. this means costs. Did you know that most gem setters don''t like to work with Tanzanite and if they do , they charge premium,.. Ifyou are looking for quality Tanzanite , it is always safer to buy new, from reputable source and if you like Ebay ,I am sure you will find one that will disclose more than just opinion of jeweler that has possibly refused to purchase this item. Iwill try to post some quality Tanzanite pictures in my next post for yur information
Best regards
George

I hope this helps

8[1].4Tanzanite.JPG

Emerald cut Tanzanite showing red flash

6[1].35.JPG

I appreciate all the feedback. I had previously bid on the ring, but stopped at 1400, which was still below the reserve price. The seller has offered me the ring for that price. I do like tanzanite, but am primarially interested in the idea that it may go up in value, because of the single source, etc. However, after reading your postings, and considering the issue, the fragility of the stone seems awfully important. If a stone can get so easily worn down and chipped, I don''t know how much of an investment piece it can ever really be. From George''s comments, it sounds like most older stones would need to be repolished. I too had noticed what seemed to be a window, but wasn''t quite sure if it was just because of the way the stone was photographed, or worn on the finger. I am rough on everything (stones, electronics, people (!)), so I think I''ll go ahead and stick with the harder stones, but if anyone is interested in this ring, you could probably have it for 1400.
Thanks for the assistance,
Elizabeth

For some reason, when I clicked on the link, it wasn''t working, so I have attached a picture of the item in question.
Thanks again,
Elizabeth

e0_1_b.JPG

Hi,

My avatar''s in the shop for an overhaul and will be back soon. Meanwhile, take a look at this image as an example of why Tanzanite is not my choice for use in rings. This is cropped and enlarged from the image zsusana provided. It shows wear on facet junctions and what appears to be wear pitting on facet faces.

No matter how it''s oriented in cutting, Tanzanite has magnificent color. But it belongs in pendants, earrings and pins -- not rings. This stone would require recutting to repair this damage and to eliminate what looks like a window. Also, the idea of gems as an "investment" needs examination but that''s another huge topic altogether.

Richard M.

Tanzanite Wear 2.jpg

Elisabeth,

I hope I didn''t discourage you from buying Tanzanite ,..

I think Tanzanite is well worth buying and if you are rough on jewelry, you may just need setting that will protect the gem well, or set it in a pendant.

If you are buying Tanzanite as an investment, it is a great idea but you need to buy only well cut well saturated stones meaning the most desirable quality ever produced .
There is a plenty of Tanzanite on the market but the good ones are not comming out of the ground in the same quantities as they used to anymore,..
This is definitely indicator of Tanzanite prices will go up in the near future possibly back up to the peak prises of mid 80''s,...

For infornation on Tanzanite price trends go to

http://www.preciousgemstones.com/gfspring04html#trends

George

Date: 1/7/2005 4
6.gif
0:38 PM
Author: Richard M.

No matter how it''s oriented in cutting, Tanzanite has magnificent color. But it belongs in pendants, earrings and pins -- not rings.

I knew that tanzanite was not strong when I bought a stone for a ring. On the other hand, opal is not strong, either. If one wants to wear a tanzanite or opal ring once in a while, and is aware that s/he must treat it carefully, it can be a great choice. Since I rarely wear anything except my wedding band (which has no diamonds), I am easy on *all* my jewelry!

This is the ring about which I wrote. If anyone wants to enlarge its surface looking for pits, be my guest! I cannot say there are none, just that if they are there, I cannot see them!!! It would actually interest me to see its surface enlarged!

Deborah

AGBFTanzRing.jpg

AGBF

No one is saying tanzanite -- or any other fragile stone -- can''t be used in a ring if the owner so chooses and is aware of the possibility of damage. I specialize in opals, for heaven''s sake, and set many of my stones in rings for customers. But many people simply are not careful with rings and perhaps are not aware of the special care required with some stones or soft organic materials like pearl and amber. In general protected ring settings for such stones would be my recommendation or use in pendants, etc.

If you''ve read this whole thread you know that the original poster was asking about the condition of the particular stone I posted about. In no way do I imply that such damage is the norm, as in the case of your ring. My comments probably should have been more nuanced.

Richard M.

Beautiful ring Deborah!

Geoge
1.gif

Date: 1/7/2005 5:58:47 PM
Author: Richard M.
AGBF

No one is saying tanzanite -- or any other fragile stone -- can''t be used in a ring if the owner so chooses and is aware of the possibility of damage.
If you''ve read this whole thread you know that the original poster was asking about the condition of the particular stone I posted about. In no way do I imply that such damage is the norm, as in the case of your ring. My comments probably should have been more nuanced.

Whoa!!!! I *DID* read the entire posting by the original poster and that of every other poster to the thread and managed to stay abreast of what was being discussed! In *NO WAY* was my posting about my own ring intended to be critical of you or what you said about tanzanite!!!

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP