shape
carat
color
clarity

TheRealReal…SELLER BEWARE

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I want to warn other PS’ers who are considering consigning with the TheRealReal. I took the responsible step and emailed them requesting quotes before sending in a few items to consign. I have a brand new with box Tory Burch sandals retail at $325. They quoted $235-275 (less commission). They just listed on their site for $135 in “very good” condition with wear at soles. Total BS. The 2nd item is pair of hoop earrings I purchased from them several months ago for $275. They just listed them for $135. It is to their benefit from a commission payout perspective to sell items just below the cutoffs:

70%$3,500+
$750 - $4,999
65%$487 to $3,249
$300 - $749 60%$180 to $449
$200 - $299 55%$110 to $164
$150 - $199 45%$67 to $89
$100 - $149 30%$30 to $44
$0 - $99 20%$0 to $19
I have 2 emails into them now along with the quotes asking for an explanation. I have also done some internet searches to find other sellers have had similar experiences. One woman has a lawsuit against them open in the state of New York because of the huge discrepancy between quoted and listed prices on her items.

Potential sellers - unless you want to get a fraction of what you were quoted by them for a consigned item, go elsewhere. I could have donated the items and received a tax donation bigger than my payout.

Last edited:
I think they are hurting. In the past, I've consigned with them and done fairly well with the price they got and my part. But the last items I sent them were priced a bit low, and then discounted almost immediately. Like within 3 days. I'm not doing it anymore. I agree, I'd rather give to charity, or to a neighbor who could use them. Someone is making money, but it's not me and I think the RR isn't in good shape either, so I don't know what is going on.

I’ve bought a few things from Fashionphile and they always email ME to see if I want to sell anything back, and they give me a quote without me even having to ask. I haven’t taken advantage of these offers because I want to keep my items but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at their system and communication. I have not heard great things about TRR so have never purchased anything from there.

Edit to add: I just realized TRR is a consignment site. Fashionphile is not, they pay you directly. My bad, I misunderstood how TRR works. Still, that’s a shady way to do business!

I would maybe try Poshmark. If you’re willing to be patient a lot of times you’ll get asking price, especially if it’s an item that has sold out or it’s a coveted size or color. I use it for things I missed the return by date for, or just things I never ended up wearing. They do take a cut, but it’s better than just giving things away, especially pricey things that someone else will probably end up reselling.

70% for items over $3,500 - shock - I thought eBay was bad.
Oops, round the wrong way - still 30% is alot

30% on a $3,500 item is still over $1,000 we lost to TheRealReal. I think if you are in a bind and need to sell jewelry or designer items quickly, their site does turn over merchandise fast. However, I have consigned my last piece with them and going back to eBay.

Update…TRR was quick to reply to my email complaint and pulled my 2 items off for review. I have recourse because of having pictures of my items and an email response with listing quotes from them prior to sending in.

I’ve bought a few things from Fashionphile and they always email ME to see if I want to sell anything back, and they give me a quote without me even having to ask. I haven’t taken advantage of these offers because I want to keep my items but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at their system and communication. I have not heard great things about TRR so have never purchased anything from there.

Edit to add: I just realized TRR is a consignment site. Fashionphile is not, they pay you directly. My bad, I misunderstood how TRR works. Still, that’s a shady way to do business!

I would maybe try Poshmark. If you’re willing to be patient a lot of times you’ll get asking price, especially if it’s an item that has sold out or it’s a coveted size or color. I use it for things I missed the return by date for, or just things I never ended up wearing. They do take a cut, but it’s better than just giving things away, especially pricey things that someone else will probably end up reselling.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and I am so grateful for this forum and the expert advice offered.
I bought my brand new Omega Constellation watch from Fashionphile. I live minutes from their store in north San Diego and was able to go in to inspect before picking it up. The watch was a 2012 model and had never had been worn. I received an email from them about 6 months later asking if I wanted to sell it back to them for about 30% less than what I paid. Essentially the same percentage as TRR on an item of the same cost.

UPDATE - TRR customer service has been very responsive. The earrings now have been relisted for the same price I paid for them off their site several months ago. Still waiting on pricing review for the new in box shoes.

I'd never take a risk with anything of these false-promise scams.
I only use Craigslist ... all sales final, cash only, local only, in person sale only.
I've never had a single issue.
No third-party can be manipulated by scamming "buyers".

I get 100% of the money.
100%!

I really like that only I am responsible for being informed, aware, alert, careful, paying attention, and not being lazy and stoopid.
No third party, means ... simple.

But good luck subjecting yourself to all these other Scam-O-Rama sights. :nono:

If it sounds too good to be true .........

Last edited:
I'd never take a risk with anything of these false-promise scams.
I only use Craigslist ... all sales final, cash only, local only, in person sale only.
I've never had a single issue.
No third-party can be manipulated by scamming "buyers".

I get 100% of the money.
100%!

I really like that only I am responsible for being informed, aware, alert, careful, paying attention, and not being lazy and stoopid.
No third party, means ... simple.

But good luck subjecting yourself to all these other Scam-O-Rama sights. :nono:

If it sounds too good to be true .........

I understand where you're coming from, but some people don't feel safe meeting strangers, even in public places. A buyer with cash in their pocket may not feel safe and a seller with a higher value item might feel at risk too. So I see the value in using a site where you aren't putting personal safety at risk.

Are you suggesting that people vary? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I get it. :))

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP