shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought I found a good one...1.2c I SI2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thehoush101

Rough_Rock
For my girlfriend...
Diamond is eyeclean and looked great. It is also a fantastic price. However, when I entered it into the "cut adviser" it scored a 4, with very good on light return and spread, good for fire and scintillation. Price is not my main criterion but it is important to me.

However, why does a "very good" rating in two areas basically rule it out of consideration and is it possible that I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference?

I have seen the diamond in person and love how it looks but should I change my mind based on the cut adviser?

Depth - 61.9%
Table- 59%
Crown- 35
pavillion 41.2

From what I have read this seems to be right on the cusp but people say to avoid it.

Any thoughts? I am pretty bummed after entering it in the adviser.

But have you seen it when compared to an ideal cut stone? And seen the stone outside of the store lighting? You should be able to see a difference in performance then. If you have and still think it perform well, then go for it.

I would personally keep looking.....what is your budget if you don''t mind me asking? We could find you something ideal cut if you gave us your budget...

My first questions would be those asked by Stone Cold.

Then...

Date: 12/2/2008 5:51:49 PM
Author:thehoush101
However, why does a 'very good' rating in two areas basically rule it out of consideration and is it possible that I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference?
Sure. Cut perception varies, just as color and clarity perception vary. You'll find some people who can see the hint of color in a diamond others can't and some people who have "radar-vision" when looking at clarity. Cut perception is (a) different for different people just as other perceptions are, (b) confused in any normal jewelry store setting where the sheer volume of light makes everything look dazzling, and (c) an acquired taste that may develop after many hours staring & comparing your diamond to others over the long-term.

The basic numbers you've found are not what I'd call optimal, but they are not terrible either. Much better than a lot of stuff out there.

I have seen the diamond in person and love how it looks but should I change my mind based on the cut adviser?
No. Especially if you think the girl will love it too. Any idea how cut-perceptive she is?

Honestly, most gals are not going to say 'no' when you're down on one knee because the pavilion angle is a bit steep for a forum full of enthusiasts... And at the same time we all want to do the best we can. It's a personal choice.

Date: 12/2/2008 10:29:25 PM
Author: John Pollard

Then...

However, why does a ''very good'' rating in two areas basically rule it out of consideration and is it possible that I wouldn''t even be able to tell the difference?
Sure. Cut perception varies, just as color and clarity perception vary. You''ll find some people who can see the hint of color in a diamond others can''t and some people who have ''radar-vision'' when looking at clarity. Cut perception is (a) different for different people just as other perceptions are, (b) confused in any normal jewelry store setting where the sheer volume of light makes everything look dazzling, and (c) an acquired taste that may develop after many hours staring & comparing your diamond to others over the long-term.

The basic numbers you''ve found are not what I''d call optimal, but they are not terrible either. Much better than a lot of stuff out there.

No. Especially if you think the girl will love it too. Any idea how cut-perceptive she is?

Honestly, most gals are not going to say ''no'' when you''re down on one knee because the pavilion angle is a bit steep for a forum full of enthusiasts... And at the same time we all want to do the best we can. It''s a personal choice.
Bravo!

Date: 12/2/2008 10:29:25 PM
Author: John Pollard

Then...

However, why does a ''very good'' rating in two areas basically rule it out of consideration and is it possible that I wouldn''t even be able to tell the difference?
Sure. Cut perception varies, just as color and clarity perception vary. You''ll find some people who can see the hint of color in a diamond others can''t and some people who have ''radar-vision'' when looking at clarity. Cut perception is (a) different for different people just as other perceptions are, (b) confused in any normal jewelry store setting where the sheer volume of light makes everything look dazzling, and (c) an acquired taste that may develop after many hours staring & comparing your diamond to others over the long-term.

The basic numbers you''ve found are not what I''d call optimal, but they are not terrible either. Much better than a lot of stuff out there.

Honestly, most gals are not going to say ''no'' when you''re down on one knee because the pavilion angle is a bit steep for a forum full of enthusiasts... And at the same time we all want to do the best we can. It''s a personal choice.
Thanks so much for this response! I think it sums up exactly what I was thinking. The store also has a complete upgrade policy so if for whatever reason I changed my mind I have that insurance piece.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP