shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 3.09Ct Old European Cut (OEC) for 20yr anniversary upgrade?

viggy_luvs_bling

Rough_Rock
First time posting a thread but have been lurking off and on for years. For my 20th wedding anniversary next year, I was motivated to do some "pre-work" and have been researching on the forum for an upgrade. I am leaning towards an OEC (but also open to an OMC) in the I/J/K color range, SI2 or higher clarity; I cannot resist their uniqueness and charm especially after seeing some in person. Originally was considering a ~2.5 carat size (an upgrade from my current 1.1ct round brilliant original engagement ring but during my research, the jeweler showed me this stone he had lying around (a family had it in their estate but needed to split up the funds!). It's a 3.09ct, I, SI1 measuring 8.97 - 9.3 x 5.86mm; GIA cert is attached. My thoughts:
  • Initially I had not been considering a 3ct diamond, but after testing with a 2 and 3ct CZ solitaires, I COULD get used to a 3ct. 8-)And if I go with a 2.5ct, I'm afraid of being infected with DSS.
  • I would be wearing it as a RH ring, and would need to find either an antique setting, or design a new setting; both of which would take time and $$
  • I have major FOMO, thinking about the stone the past month and there's not a lot of inventory for this type of stone.
  • For reference I did do a search on OWD and a 3.12, J, SI1 stone came up for $44k and my stone would be under $40k
Any comments from expert eyes on this diamond would be appreciated. First time attaching videos and photos so thanks for your patience!

Attachments

• GIA 3.1.PNG
    GIA 3.1.PNG
    504.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 3ct 2.png
    3ct 2.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 73
Do you have any more close-up photos/videos? Have you seen this and other antique stones in person?

With the faceted girdle and how regular everything looks,I wonder whether it's a newly-cut OEC-style stone or if the girdle was rehabbed. But I'm not an expert! And maybe you don't need a genuine antique and you just want the OEC look if it seems to be the former.

I can't wait to see where you end up going with this project! :kiss2:

Well… hello gorgeous you with the tiny table! :kiss2:

I am not an expert on deciphering if a stone is newly cut or antique, so I will let some of the masters chime in here (I’m still a PS Padawon ) …. But either way, she’s pretty! I would love to see a video too!

The stone has a very pretty make! My gut is telling me this is an antique stone that has had some girdle touch-up.

I would like to see more images and a video. If this is an authentic antique stone, then the pricing seems fair.

Calling @Dreamer_D to weigh in!

Last edited:
Do you have any more close-up photos/videos? Have you seen this and other antique stones in person?

With the faceted girdle and how regular everything looks,I wonder whether it's a newly-cut OEC-style stone or if the girdle was rehabbed. But I'm not an expert! And maybe you don't need a genuine antique and you just want the OEC look if it seems to be the former.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I tried to embed two video links from Imgur, are those viewable? Or are you asking for more detailed video besides the two? Sorry, I'm new to the whole video uploading thing. :razz:

I thought I embedded the video links in the original post, but I'm trying again now. thanks for your patience!

The stone has a very pretty make! My gut is telling me with this is an antique stone that has had some girdle touch-up.

I would like to see more images and a video. If this is an authentic antique stone, then the pricing seems fair.

I agree. Cavities and extra facets plus the proportions are consistent with and older make as is the slightly cushiony outline.

I think is gorgeous!

Those videos worked, but people would want a close-up if possible, more like the photo you shared:

1727739930432.png

But with those three much more knowledgeable people all saying yes, I think you have a winner!

Hi newtojewels! I was trying to get the video to work and didn't get to answer your other questions. I have seen the stone in person, but didn't take any photos since I initially thought the stone was too big and that I would never want to spend that much on a ring. And I did not take it outside or observe the chunky light show. Little did I know myself....:twisted2: With the other OEC stones I have viewed in person, I was able to play around with the lighting.

On a separate note, I did notice the culet on this stone was very small compared to other old cuts I have seen, which seemed different. So not sure if that's a flag.

The stone has a very pretty make! My gut is telling me with this is an antique stone that has had some girdle touch-up.

Appreciate your inputs. I will to request more closeup pictures/videos; unfortunately the stone is not local in my city.

I agree. Cavities and extra facets plus the proportions are consistent with and older make as is the slightly cushiony outline.

I think is gorgeous!

Thank you Dreamer_D for your valuable opinion. As most people pointed out, I'll try to get more pictures/videos to share.

Hi newtojewels! I was trying to get the video to work and didn't get to answer your other questions. I have seen the stone in person, but didn't take any photos since I initially thought the stone was too big and that I would never want to spend that much on a ring. And I did not take it outside or observe the chunky light show. Little did I know myself....:twisted2: With the other OEC stones I have viewed in person, I was able to play around with the lighting.

On a separate note, I did notice the culet on this stone was very small compared to other old cuts I have seen, which seemed different. So not sure if that's a flag.

Haha-the culet on this stone is "slightly large" according to the cert. The culet on my stone looks so small to my eyes and it's actual "medium" sized :geek2:

Last edited:
I think it's beautiful and nice and bright too. What is your ring size? Play around on diamb.com to see a visual of this size stone on your hand. Don't worry about it being too big, your eyes will adjust very quickly.

Oops I see that you put videos - I didn’t notice the links until after I posted. It’s beautiful!!!!

The stone has a very pretty make! My gut is telling me this is an antique stone that has had some girdle touch-up.

I agree with what you say here.

I think it's gorgeous. Love the table size and the outline.

By popular request, here the video I was sent this morning. I called and am purchasing the stone to play with at home since they have a 30-day return policy! I am such a newbie at taking photos but will share more when I get it later this week! Thank you again for all the positive comments about the stone and I will try my best to keep you all posted.

By popular request, here the video I was sent this morning. I called and am purchasing the stone to play with at home since they have a 30-day return policy! I am such a newbie at taking photos but will share more when I get it later this week! Thank you again for all the positive comments about the stone and I will try my best to keep you all posted.

Congratulations! It looks fantastic and super white. I love the wide facets, looks Iike a great performing diamond!

Trying to reply to all the thoughtful and kind comments here, apologies if I missed anyone.

Haha-the culet on this stone is "slightly large" according to the cert. The culet on my stone looks so small to my eyes and it's actual "medium" sized :geek2:
Size is all relative, right?! Depends on what kind of mood the GIA gemologist on any given day...

On your hand in a temp ring? These are all very positive comments, I'd have that diamond on hold if I were you.
Thank you for the suggestion...I called this morning and it should be arriving later this week. The are sending a clamp ring to try it on.

I think it's gorgeous. Love the table size and the outline.
Thank you so much! Teeny little table and that that imperfect roundness.. :kiss2:

I really like it.
Appreciate the validation!

Oops I see that you put videos - I didn’t notice the links until after I posted. It’s beautiful!!!!
Thank you for your expertise. I hope to post from videos once I get my hand on it.

I think it's a beautiful diamond! And an I color to boot!
Honestly to find an I color was beyond my expecations!

I think it's beautiful and nice and bright too. What is your ring size? Play around on diamb.com to see a visual of this size stone on your hand. Don't worry about it being too big, your eyes will adjust very quickly.
Great suggestions, my right ring finger is a 4.5 and middle is 5.5, so this will definitely pop. I love the last comment; hope my husband's eyes will also adjust very quickly...;-)

I think it is beautiful!
Thank you for saying that. The ring in your avatar always makes my heart flutter, so appreciate you chiming in!

I am so excited for you! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Yay I was about to say the cut is great and the kozibe!! Can't wait for more photos and videos of it later this week!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP