shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 3 EX GIA diamond-- steep and deep??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryCarolyn

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I am new here but have been learning a lot by reading for hours on the discussion boards! I am looking at a diamond and wanted to get a second opinion. I am a little concerned about it being "steep and deep" -- seems like it might be borderline. I am also a little confused because some people have said that GIA rounds thier numbers, but looks like decimals are provided in this cert...
I am ordering it online from JamesAllen-- so not sure if I can get an idealscope.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

6.96 - 6.98 x 4.26mm
E
SI2 (eye clean)
Table 58%
Depth 61.1%
Crown Angle 40.8
Pav Angle 35.0
Pav 43.0%
Crown 14.5%
medium girdle
Polish EX
Sym EX
Flouro None

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I assume you reversed the crown and pavilion angles.

35/40.8 (even with GIA rounding) is not steep deep it is a good combo.
JA will provide an IS image, put it on hold and ask for one.

MaryCarolyn

Rough_Rock
Yes, I did reverse the crown and pavilion angles, whoops!

Thanks for the feedback!
1.gif

MaryCarolyn

Rough_Rock
Also, could someone explain what they mean by GIA rounding? If the cert says crown angle of 35.0, isn''t that pretty exact? Do you mean it could really be 35.04 and that would make a difference?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 9:10:52 PM
Author: MaryCarolyn
Also, could someone explain what they mean by GIA rounding? If the cert says crown angle of 35.0, isn''t that pretty exact? Do you mean it could really be 35.04 and that would make a difference?
gia rounds the crown to the nearest .5 and the pavilion to .2

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it is borderline steep deep according to the teachings of one of our experts and I have seen some of these combos show leakage in IS - hence an Idealscope image would be helpful in order to evaluate further. It could be perfectly fine or show slight leakage according to how the numbers are rounded.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If in an ideal world and all the facets are 35/40.8, the stone would be a good performer. But the number is in fact an average of 8 different crown and pavilion facets and then rounded so leakage might be possible, an IS will tell more and JA will be able to provide that upon request.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 7:50:52 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
If in an ideal world and all the facets are 35/40.8, the stone would be a good performer. But the number is in fact an average of 8 different crown and pavilion facets and then rounded so leakage might be possible, an IS will tell more and JA will be able to provide that upon request.
Ditto!

MaryCarolyn

Rough_Rock
I think my boyfriend may have already ordered the stone... can you do an idealscope once it has been set?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2009 10:54:28 AM
Author: MaryCarolyn
I think my boyfriend may have already ordered the stone... can you do an idealscope once it has been set?
You can, you might not be able to see the whole picture but it would give you some idea but take a good look at it in person, it there is leakage ( and it might not be the case anyway) look for any dark patches on the surface of the diamond, this is leakage - but hopefully you will be fine, 35/40.8 is right on the edge of steep deep anyway and due to GIA rounding the diamond could be perfectly fine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results