shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

idigice

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m brand new to this forum, but I''ve really appreciated all the great information that''s on here.

I''ve been looking at a few diamonds and found this great potential cushion. I''d love your advice, feedback, if you think this is a good stone at a good price.

Cushion Brilliant
Carat Weight: 3.02
Measurements: 9.35x7.96x5.39
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 67.7%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescence: Faint

The price is $29k.

Should I jump on it? Thanks!

Who certified it? And do you have images? Cushions can''t be bought by the numbers...

Date: 12/11/2008 10:37:22 PM
Author: neatfreak
Who certified it? And do you have images? Cushions can''t be bought by the numbers...
Ditto! You have to have pictures. It could be a dog or gorgeous.

The stone is GIA certified, and it looked great compared to the other stones that I saw. When I held this stone at arms length, it still sparkled, but when I rotated it on all axis, there was a few darks spots. Is this normal? Do all stones have a dark spot at some angle? Since it''s a SI1, there was a small inclusion, but it was to the side. The table seemed clean after looking in the loped.

Does this price seem like a deal or just fair?

I did a search based on the specs provided and the price seems good. It isn''t an amazing steal but the price is on the very low end of the range. In my opinion, there is so much more than just the price alone. I wouldn''t pay such a large sum of money (no matter what an amazing deal it is) for a diamond that I was not in love with. If we are talking about a couple thousand dollars, I may consider an amazing deal at the scarfice of other factors. But you are talking about almost $30K here .. you have to be sure this is the right diamond for you.

I saw a stone a month ago from my jeweler that was 3.24 ct, G, SI1 cushion but was around $22K, inclusion off the table on one of the side corner facets. it was a modern cut, almost perfectly square, and was gorgeous next to 4 rounds that I used to compare along with the 2+ ct & 3+ ct cushions from GOG which I had in my possession at the time. it was EGL USA certed. personally, I think that your price is a little high compared to the stone that I saw just based on your stats but that''s my .2cts. I did not buy it as it wasn''t the look that I wanted and I think my jeweler sent it to Texas for another buyer.

Date: 12/12/2008 1:30:16 AM
Author: jerichosmom
I saw a stone a month ago from my jeweler that was 3.24 ct, G, SI1 cushion but was around $22K, inclusion off the table on one of the side corner facets. it was a modern cut, almost perfectly square, and was gorgeous next to 4 rounds that I used to compare along with the 2+ ct & 3+ ct cushions from GOG which I had in my possession at the time. it was EGL USA certed. personally, I think that your price is a little high compared to the stone that I saw just based on your stats but that''s my .2cts. I did not buy it as it wasn''t the look that I wanted and I think my jeweler sent it to Texas for another buyer.
What were the prices like for the GIA certed diamonds you saw? I am basing my input on the results from the online vendor search engines - the price is definetly on the low end. I am wondering if the huge price difference is due to the EGL certification.

I would get the stone independently appraised, but I prefer to buy only GIA or AGS certified stones.

I am glad to hear that this is on the lower end of the price range!

I saw probably 25 stones in total, all GIA or EGL. I wasn''t picky about which certification it came with since I''d have it appraised anyway to verify the data and if need be, sent to GIA for certification for a nominal fee. I didn''t rule out EGL since it opened up a lot more diamonds wit in my parameters. The 3.24 ct that was quoted at $22K was a heck of a good deal, most likely because of the inclusions. Personally, I couldn''t see the inclusions without really looking at it extensively from around 8 inches but once I found it, it was no longer mind clean. 3+ ct stones shown to me by the broker ranged from $25-35K. All were between E to I in colour but the facet pattern varied. I really think that they also price the stones according to how pretty they are, whether they have the crushed ice look or not and how much sparkle it gives. The broker was the father of one of my husband''s employees and lives permanently now in Isreal. He has an office in DTLA and deals wholesale mainly or direct through word of mouth so I think his prices were very low. In fact, my jeweler sent me the same certs on a few of the diamonds and quoted me $1000+ over what the broker did. Our good friend bought a 3 ct G Assher from him for $26K, cash a few months ago.

Have you looked at the 3.02 ct cushion that GOG has? Although it''s an I in colour, I''ve had it in my possession and compared it to my F rounds and really, if I could see a noticeable difference, it didn''t bother me at all. It''s only $20,500 bank wire and is also an eyeclean SI. here are some video links to it....the only caveat is that there was a little light leakage at the rim of the table that becomes noticeable the more you stare at it. But each time I opened up the box with the 2 cushions in them (I had both the 2.11 H prototype cut and the 3.02 antique style), my eye always gravitated to the larger diamond.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/CUSHION302317321.wmv The 3.02 is the first one in the batch.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/CUSH302ISI2.wmv Here''s the 3.02 cushion in the setting (it''s an estate piece that they have on consignment)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/videos/CUSHIONS302211.wmv The 3.02 compared to a 2.11 on Sarah''s hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP