shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Montana Sapphire?

AlaMcD

Rough_Rock
I’m thinking of this stone for an engagement ring. What are your thoughts on it as far as quality? And even ideas on a possible setting. I prefer rose gold. Thanks!

Did you mean but forgot to share a link or picture?

P.S. Welcome aboard! These little glitches happen to all of us at first. I look forward to seeing your sapphire (for real)!!

I’m thinking of this stone for an engagement ring. What are your thoughts on it as far as quality? And even ideas on a possible setting. I prefer rose gold. Thanks!

Oops! Here is the link

That’s a whoooole lotta grey for “nicely saturated”. I think for that price, or significantly less, you could get a much nicer stone that size. Are you set on the stone being from Montana?

Almost or barely pink to be seen. It is super well cut and picking up some blue reflection from the sky but is a far cry from nicely saturated.

Almost or barely pink to be seen. It is super well cut and picking up some blue reflection from the sky but is a far cry from nicely saturated.

I agree that the cut is gorgeous. Which is probably what I notice most. I really have admired a lot of Montana sapphires lately which may be swaying my opinion.

Is this your colour preference? Does this specific colour that you see in their videos and photos make your heart jump? If yes, go for it, but this price seems too steep for me. As everyone else said, it's really not at all saturated in colour, and colour is the main driving force behind the stone's value.

I personally would be concerned about the disparity between their description and what the stone looks like in their images which supposedly show it at its best. "Nicely saturated" and "this clarity" only for you to see a gray and included stone. Not to mention that 1.6ct isn't that big as they make it out to be. It just seems dishonest to me, trying to sweet talk the buyer.

Pretty stone! Montana sapphires, especially fancy colored stones, are rarely super saturated when they're untreated. So vendors tend to grade them differently. And since the vast majority of Montana sapphires are heated, the untreated aspect of this stone (and US origin) play into the elevated price. I think if you're an admirer of these particular stones, then it may be a nice addition to your collection. But if you're solely buying based on quality, I agree with everyone else that you may want to explore other options.

This is sold, but kind of similar in color and price from a seller who is famous for his cuts and charges a significant premium for them.
Same thing but more purple

Potentially a more saturated pink, similar weight, similarly included, a few hundred dollars cheaper, and still carries a premium for being precision cut. This site has a few pinks around 0.85-1.15ct in the 900-1600 range. Worth taking a look.

It has lovely cutting, but the color isn't as desirable. I usually don't think of a Montana when thinking about pink sapphires. Unless locale is truly important, there are many pinks to choose from.

Some more over 1ct unheated Montanas I came across in purple or pink hues, of varying tones and saturations. Not necessarily recommending anyone buy these, they are just what I have come across for OP to compare. As others have pointed out, these colors from other origins would be more affordable (and common).

Sold, similar color if you compare to the last video in the listing OP is considering.

Marquise may be heated if treatment is not mentioned
OnPaste.20220401-031021.png\OnPaste.20220401-031756.png

You could contact Brad from thegemtrader.com as he has sold some very high quality (blue) Yogo sapphires in the past, so he may have access to a nice pink.

This is sold, but kind of similar in color and price from a seller who is famous for his cuts and charges a significant premium for them.
Same thing but more purple

Potentially a more saturated pink, similar weight, similarly included, a few hundred dollars cheaper, and still carries a premium for being precision cut. This site has a few pinks around 0.85-1.15ct in the 900-1600 range. Worth taking a look.

This stone is lovely.

Also keep in mind two things about untreated Montana sapphires:

First, they are shifty little buggers. The color you see will not be the one you always get. It can change in all types of lighting and seasons, and even clouds passing over. Sometimes the color change is awesome, sometimes not. Make sure you see it/have pics or video in a variety.

And also a lot of them have a grey element to the color. This makes it more subdued in terms of color. So if this is something that would bother you or her, make sure to ask the vendor.

Good luck with your proposal plans!

Also keep in mind two things about untreated Montana sapphires:

First, they are shifty little buggers. The color you see will not be the one you always get. It can change in all types of lighting and seasons, and even clouds passing over. Sometimes the color change is awesome, sometimes not. Make sure you see it/have pics or video in a variety.

And also a lot of them have a grey element to the color. This makes it more subdued in terms of color. So if this is something that would bother you or her, make sure to ask the vendor.

Good luck with your proposal plans!

I actually like the subdued color, I actually have started looking at Pad sapphires for the same reason, because they have some pale pinks that I enjoy. but they seem very hard to source.

I actually like the subdued color, I actually have started looking at Pad sapphires for the same reason, because they have some pale pinks that I enjoy. but they seem very hard to source.

For fun, I did find an available, potentially-padparadscha Montana sapphire but its probably more than you want to spend. Plus a lab report would need to confirm if it is indeed a padparadscha or just a fancy sapphire.

If you/the receiver are set on Montana origin, I'm not sure there is much more I can find.
If you/the receiver are open to other origins I could try find some light pinks/light pink-leaning padparadschas. Is a round cut a must? Is a precision cut a must?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics