shape
carat
color
clarity

three stone ring

I don't think about diamond values in Rap terms, myself, I think about it in terms of what it would cost me to literally buy the exact same thing from the vendors from whom you bought the stones. I would look up comparables from the same vendors you bought from, then deduct a percentage. What percentage you deduct will depend on how quickly you want to sell, and the market I guess! (Perhaps 50% off retail is a starting point. 50% for a quick sale IMO).

Thank you Dreamer_D!
Then it will be around USD 5,000.00.

Sounds like a steal to me!

Perhaps consider deleting this thread and starting a new one with great pictures, not linking a thread discussing abraded diamond ;-)

:) I don't want to hide the truth about the abrasion!

Oh, of course not! But we want to see more glamourous photos too! :bigsmile:

I would start at 5,500 or 6,000. I think that can be easily fixed with a polish and it's a great deal.

You paid 10K but it's worth a lot more now. So I would 40% off what the current retail would be including the abrasions.

And I too would start a new thread.

My estimate of todays value on the diamonds in $12k, FWIW.

Thank you both for your help.
I agree that the abrasion should easily be removed.

If I consider the center stone is a J-VS1, the total amount for the 3 stones (BlueNile + 2 BGD) today would be
$11,800
If I downgrade the center stone to J-VS2, the total amount is
$10,500
The funniest (?) thing is that I paid for I-VS1 as mentioned on the AGS cert at BlueNile.
The GIA cert gives it a J, and the diamond is laser inscribed.

My colleague is offering me $5,000, but I don't know if it is because she wants to help me.
She wants an answer for next week. :(
On the other side, I find the price slightly low and I would feel better with $6,000.
Hmmm...
What should I do?
It's also true that I'm afraid of using FedEx, some of you perhaps remember what happened to me a few years earlier...

QueenMum|1320965278|3058999 said:

Good for you. It's always best to be as honest as possible, or it may come back to bite you.

QueenMum|1320997818|3059420 said:
Thank you both for your help.
I agree that the abrasion should easily be removed.

Just wondering.... Are you planning to proceed with the agreement you have with your jeweler (re: Polish/examine/reset) or sell it as is? 8)

I don't think so...
A part of me doesn't want to meet this guy again...
Polishing could be easily done, but I wonder at what price?
Perhaps I could ask Paul.
My colleague doesn't matter about the abrasions, if she only pays $ 5,000.

QueenMum|1321030244|3059663 said:
I don't think so...
A part of me doesn't want to meet this guy again...
Polishing could be easily done, but I wonder at what price?
Perhaps I could ask Paul.
My colleague doesn't matter about the abrasions, if she only pays $ 5,000.

Ask Paul; he would be a good person to talk to! I would sell if for more; I bet you could!

TL|1321017959|3059530 said:

Good for you. It's always best to be as honest as possible, or it may come back to bite you.

Just to be clear I was in no way suggesting QM hide anything. I just thought it was a little overly negative to offer the ring for sale and *only* post a thread with macro photos of the abrasions! Not a complete picture IMO.

QM I think you can try to get more, but you need to factor in the local versus distance issue of the sale and what the extra hassel is worth to you.

Dreamer_D|1321044377|3059800 said:
TL|1321017959|3059530 said:

Just to be clear I was in no way suggesting QM hide anything. I just thought it was a little overly negative to offer the ring for sale and *only* post a thread with macro photos of the abrasions! Not a complete picture IMO.

QM I think you can try to get more, but you need to factor in the local versus distance issue of the sale and what the extra hassel is worth to you.

Agree. If you aren't in a hurry I would speak to Paul, get his advice. Then I post the ring with 6,500 or so. Cause people like to best offer. And then accept anything that 'feels' right above 6K. People will offer you all kinds of odd things and want all kinds of conditions. You decide what you think is best for you and go from there.

ALSO... Paul may have an idea of where you can sell it locally. And the prices you are talking about I wouldn't be too surprised if a local jeweler didn't just buy it from you outright.

I agree with what Dreamer said re: hassle and location of sale. Personally I would take less money if it meant not having to mail an item of that expense and have to worry about it.

So many answers!
Thank you all for your input!
I will probably go the local way and have my colleague buy the three stones.
If she wants a re-polish, I could contact Paul, but I think she doesn't want to spend that kind of money.

Coincidence?
Yesterday, I was running with my dog and I fell on the pavement.
Now I have scratches on both my wedding ring and on the three stone ring (the side below, the diamonds are not damaged).

QueenMum|1321175004|3060739 said:
So many answers!
Thank you all for your input!
I will probably go the local way and have my colleague buy the three stones.
If she wants a re-polish, I could contact Paul, but I think she doesn't want to spend that kind of money.

Coincidence?
Yesterday, I was running with my dog and I fell on the pavement.
Now I have scratches on both my wedding ring and on the three stone ring (the side below, the diamonds are not damaged).

Ought o! This is why I de-bling prior to taking the pup out...

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP