shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany diamond depth

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misstsips

Rough_Rock
Hi All!!

So,.. i own a tiffany solitaire ring which is very dear to me.
But as im slowly learning on here... i wonder if its ok to feel lightly disappointed that my ring is too deep? is this right?
I was hoping all tiffany diamonds were perfection, hence the huge $$$ that needs to be saved.

Can anyone shed some light for me? I know ive asked before but have missed some info. I will provide all the details have
emsmile.gif

measurements: 6.74 - 6.81 x 4.24 mm ( i have no idea about this)
carat: 1.20 carat
total depth %: 62.6%
tablel diametre %: 56%
culet: small
crown angle: 35.5 degrees
pavillion depth %: 43.3%
girdle: medium to slightly thick

Kindest thanks

Date: 12/8/2008 8:28:45 AM
Author:misstsips
Hi All!!

So,.. i own a tiffany solitaire ring which is very dear to me.
But as im slowly learning on here... i wonder if its ok to feel lightly disappointed that my ring is too deep? is this right?
I was hoping all tiffany diamonds were perfection, hence the huge $$$ that needs to be saved.

Can anyone shed some light for me? I know ive asked before but have missed some info. I will provide all the details have
emsmile.gif

measurements: 6.74 - 6.81 x 4.24 mm ( i have no idea about this)
carat: 1.20 carat
total depth %: 62.6%
tablel diametre %: 56%
culet: small
crown angle: 35.5 degrees
pavillion depth %: 43.3%
girdle: medium to slightly thick

Kindest thanks
Your depth is fine and not as important as the angles for influencing performance! You have nothing to worry about. Some PSers like to go no further than 62% for depth but personally I believe you can have greater leeway, my diamond has the exact same depth as yours and it is beautiful. The numbers you first posted are the diameter measurements and indicate how large the diamond faces up in mm.

I bet your stone is gorgeous and a Tiffany no less - enjoy your diamond!

wow - thanks lorelei!!

you say angles are more important... are mine of good value?

I wont lose any love or anything at all for diamond, but i really wish i knew and understood my diamond from the inside out.

so 62.6is out by just a little - does this make a significant difference do you think?

kindest thanx

Tiffany diamonds are not dogs, even though some may be cut to more traditional ideal standards than others. All that matters is that you love it!

Date: 12/8/2008 8:50:59 AM
Author: misstsips
wow - thanks lorelei!!

you say angles are more important... are mine of good value?

I wont lose any love or anything at all for diamond, but i really wish i knew and understood my diamond from the inside out.

so 62.6is out by just a little - does this make a significant difference do you think?

kindest thanx
Yes you are fine, nothing to worry about! And your depth % is also fine and not too deep at all.

I agree with the others. the numbers are fine, nothing to worry about at all. enjoy you ring, I bet it''s just fantastic
30.gif

Miss tsips,

your question is a tricky one, since you own a diamond and you are probably feeding the disappointment, while you are learning more and more about cut-quality. That is logical in a sense, and the other posters often have the reaction to try and soothe such fears.

After all, if you were happy once with this diamond, why should extra information make you not like the stone anymore?

On the other hand, I need to respectfully disagree with the other posters. If the slightly higher depth goes along with the best angles, it simply means that the girdle is somewhat thicker, and that the diameter will be slightly less for the same weight.

However, in this case, if we enter your data in the HCA, we get another picture.

- If a culet ''small'' (not nil, or none) means that it is about 1% in size, the HCA-score is 4.4
- If we consider the culet to be 0, the HCA jumps up to 3.2
- And if we use angles only, estimating that 43.3% translates into 41.0° at best, the HCA-score is 3.9

Now, this does not indicate a really bad stone, but it is not near the best combinations either.

To summarize: NO, you do not have a bad stone. But it is not close to perfection either. You will have to live with that though. The stone and the ring are very dear to you for emotional reasons. And you probably did not know at the time that you could do better. Therefore, please do not worry too much. Taking decisions that prove not perfect after some time is part of life.

Live long,

Date: 12/8/2008 11:26:27 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Miss tsips,

your question is a tricky one, since you own a diamond and you are probably feeding the disappointment, while you are learning more and more about cut-quality. That is logical in a sense, and the other posters often have the reaction to try and soothe such fears.

After all, if you were happy once with this diamond, why should extra information make you not like the stone anymore?

On the other hand, I need to respectfully disagree with the other posters. If the slightly higher depth goes along with the best angles, it simply means that the girdle is somewhat thicker, and that the diameter will be slightly less for the same weight.

However, in this case, if we enter your data in the HCA, we get another picture.

- If a culet ''small'' (not nil, or none) means that it is about 1% in size, the HCA-score is 4.4
- And if we use angles only, estimating that 43.3% translates into 41.0° at best, the HCA-score is 3.9

Now, this does not indicate a really bad stone, but it is not near the best combinations either.

To summarize: NO, you do not have a bad stone. But it is not close to perfection either. You will have to live with that though. The stone and the ring are very dear to you for emotional reasons. And you probably did not know at the time that you could do better. Therefore, please do not worry too much. Taking decisions that prove not perfect after some time is part of life.

Live long,
re:After all, if you were happy once with this diamond, why should extra information make you not like the stone anymore?

For example, You have saw better diamond just.

Is a culet which is described as "pointed" equal to "nil'' or "none" or does it actually represent a percentage smaller than the ~1% of the "small" ?

1. Congrats on a beautiful diamond.
2. The number one grading tool is your eyes, if the diamond looks beautiful to you, who cares what some fancy computer program that "estimates" what your diamond looks like, says.
3. Tiffany's cuts their diamonds differently then what some consider ideal. I have plugged a ton into HCA and they all fall into the realm of ideal to more fire range. There is nothing wrong with this.
4. Are you certain your diamond information says small culet? All the Tiffany ones I have seen have said none for a culet.

Again, forget about HCA or preferred measurements, all that matters is what your eyes tell you about the diamond you have.

Date: 12/8/2008 2:15:53 PM
Author: Mediterranean

Is a culet which is described as ''pointed'' equal to ''nil'' or ''none'' or does it actually represent a percentage smaller than the ~1% of the ''small'' ?
Pointed = nil = none

It is my understanding that Tiffany has a Brand Image to maintain and they stock diamonds which fit their concept of what they wish to put into stock. It is not nearly as diverse a range of cuts as many other retailers, but this is a particular and special brand, TIFFANY & Co. Either you buy into their concept or you choose not to.

Their diamonds look excellent, but they I have been told the buyers there "prefer" icy white brilliant stones to firey ones. This may be the reason for the HCA being what it is, yet it is a highly acceptable Brand and obviously people approve of Tiffany''s taste in diamonds. Not everyone might agree, but certainly many people do agree. They vote in making T & Co the world largest seller of D-IF quality diamonds although sales of this in the USA may not be the epicenter of this global activity.

I have had the opportunity to get more familiar with this brand than many ever do. There is a consistency to the cut that few others stick to. Quite possibly, there are others who are just as picky or who have wonderful parameters which one might say are "better" or different", but T & Co know what they are doing and think about their Brand Image all the time.

thanks to everyones response!!

To answer one posts question, yes - i am sure it says small for my culet.
I am wondering if it is true that most T&Co diamonds have no culet? Also, what is culet responsible for?

I will admit that i do have alot of fire, and the stone is so so white for a G color... but my curiosity does stem from my recent introduction to hearts & arrows diamonds.

Would the culet affect any fire? Is that why my sister in laws has SO much!

thanks again
emsmile.gif

I think most modern diamonds have no or a very small culet. If you have two parallel facets (the table and the culet), the light hitting the table can go through the other side of the stone and not return back. Having another facet rather than a point also affects reflections and refractions from other facets, so the general effect is a loss of light return that is larger as teh culet gets larger. As to (face up) fire, I think it''s more dependant on crown shape/angle than anything else, pavillion shape/angle coming a close second.

Date: 12/9/2008 3:22:28 AM
Author: misstsips

Would the culet affect any fire? Is that why my sister in laws has SO much!

thanks again
emsmile.gif

OldMiner nailed this one squarely. A "Tiffany Diamond" basically describes a branded cut, offered only by Tiffany & Co. The heart of T&Co.''s business is exclusivity - the idea is that you can''t find a Tiffany diamond anywhere but Tiffany & Co.

To keep true to their brand, they cut the stones to adhere to their standards (which, as Oldminer describes, is more of an "icy white" effect than a "fiery" one).

So, it''s not so much the culet as it is the method for cutting that type of branded diamond vs. the method for cutting an H&A (vs. an EightStar, or vs. ACA or vs. HOF....you get the idea...)

What appeals to your personal eye is subjective, and it''s that deciding factor that makes us love our diamonds so much: after careful consideration, research, and education, it all boils down to what WE love to see. It becomes personal at that point...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP