shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Ring....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
I'm planning to propose to my girlfriend of four years sometime this spring semester (sorry, college students think in terms of semesters not months
emsmile.gif
). She's not one of those girls that HAS to have brand named stuff to be happy but I know that she would just love to see that Tiffany box and it would mean a lot to her.

My question is, what can I expect to pay? Their website doesn't really give a lot of details about price because I don't think it includes the diamond. Can I realistically get her a platinum engagement ring for under $4,500? I know because of the Tiffany Co. name they will cost more, but I don't know how much more to expect.

Obviously, I know I'm being vaque by not giving any details about the ring itself but I have to start somewhere. I want to at least know if it's possible for me to even consider. When I get off work I'll post some links to what ring styles I'm interested in.

Sure.

It is possible, but keep in mind the center stone will not be very large if you have a $4500 budget. I don''t know the exact price points, but it won''t even be close to a carat!

But if the blue box means a lot to her, then by all means make her happy! Good luck.
1.gif

Keep in mind I don''t even know the least bit about diamonds/engagement rings (which is sad because I''ve been trying to research them for a while now), but I feel like a full carot diamond is big.

Also, I don''t want it to sound bad but I''d be willing to sacrafice some quality of the diamond if it means the size is a little bigger (I don''t want it too look pathetic or anything) if needed. Will Tiffany let me just buy their ring and I get the diamond set in from somewhere else?
21.gif

Date: 11/18/2008 4:01:35 PM
Author: cartisdm
Keep in mind I don't even know the least bit about diamonds/engagement rings (which is sad because I've been trying to research them for a while now), but I feel like a full carot diamond is big.

Also, I don't want it to sound bad but I'd be willing to sacrafice some quality of the diamond if it means the size is a little bigger (I don't want it too look pathetic or anything) if needed. Will Tiffany let me just buy their ring and I get the diamond set in from somewhere else?
21.gif
No, they won't. Best bet is to call your local Tiffany and ask to see what the biggest stone you can get for your money would be. Then see if it looks like the right ring for your lady.
1.gif

Do you happen to know her ring size? I ask only because ring size will affect how big or small the stone looks on her finger.

Also, we'd be remiss if we didn't say you could get much more (not just size but colour/quality too) for your money if you didn't go with a name brand ring.
1.gif

no you cannot buy the mounting alone. quite honestly you can get quite a nice ring if you buy online through a reputable vendor. from tiffany you will be throwing away your money on something extremely small

Will Tiffany let me just buy their ring and I get the diamond set in from somewhere else?
21.gif
No, they won't. It's a package deal with them--an issue of quality control. If their name (box) is on it, they want to control the most important aspect--the diamond.

Besides, you can get practically a carbon copy of their classic solitaire mounting (and a few others, as well) elsewhere, so even if you could buy the setting alone, you'd literally be paying for the box (even more so than with a ready-made ring).

you can get a good size stone from Whiteflash and have a platinum Tiffany style mounting for your budget.

Compare 0.73 H VS2 GIA $2,756.48 View

Compare 0.84 H SI1 GIA $3,122.00 View

Compare 0.83 I VS2 GIA $3,233.00 View

Compare 0.79 H VS2 GIA $3,262.00 View

Compare 0.82 I VS1 GIA $3,387.00 View

Compare 0.82 I VS1 GIA $3,434.98 View

Compare 0.81 G VS2 GIA $3,488.00 View

Compare 0.88 I VS2 GIA $3,530.00 View

Compare 0.86 I VS2 GIA $3,552.00 View

Compare 0.84 H VS2 GIA $3,568.00 View

Compare 0.85 H VS1 GIA $3,686.03 View

Compare 0.90 H SI1 GIA $3,717.00 View

Compare 0.86 G VS1 GIA $4,160.00 View

Compare 0.89 G VS2 GIA $4,305.00 View

Compare 0.90 I VS1 GIA $4,423.23 View

Compare 0.90 I VS1 GIA $4,423.23 View

Like, for example, you could get this ACA from Whiteflash: stone

And this WF Tiffany replica setting: setting

....and still come in under your budget.

She''s a size 7 I beleive, possibly a 6.5 (she"s really petite, maybe that''ll be a good thing for making a smaller diamond look bigger!
2.gif
).

What about getting a ring in something other than patinum, is white gold and option? This is a longshot but I also heard that their silver is really nice. I could be way off track since when I think silver I think cheap, especially for an engagement ring, but that''s just something I heard somewhere.

silver can''t hold diamonds, it''s too soft.

Date: 11/18/2008 4:04:45 PM
Author: gwendolyn
we''d be remiss if we didn''t say you could get much more (not just size but colour/quality too) for your money if you didn''t go with a name brand ring.
1.gif
We''d also be remiss if we didn''t say that you should be sure not only that the Tiffany name is important to her, but that the classic solitaire is what she wants. There are LOTS of other setting types (and stone cuts/shapes, for that matter) out there, and not every woman wants a classic round brilliant knife-edge solitaire.

(Ignore all of the above if you already DO know that what she specifically loves is a round brilliant in a classic Tiffany knife-edge solitaire.)

O.k., so I know not everyone is open to receiving a used ring, but just in case she'd be into it, Signed Pieces has this T&Co. ring: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=9881. About $1,500 over your budget, but it's a lovely size and comes with original cert and box.

No, you can only buy a Tiff ring as a 'whole pkg'. I don't even think you can look at loose stones, just the certs.

I *really* wanted a Tiffany ring. I'll admit, it was allll about the brand for me. I decided to do some research and found Pricescope. So you are doing the best thing by researching before you buy. In my opinion it is not a purchase that should be done casually, no matter the budget. In my case i decided against the Tiffany ring. I could get so much more ring by buying a loose stone (much, much larger and good quality). My husband acutally bought the tiffany ceramic jewllery box and made a satin ring-bed to present my ring in. I still got to open a little blue box
1.gif

Don't get me wrong, i still love Tiff rings and would *gladly* take one--have fun making your choice!

ETA--yes, the smaller the finger, the bigger the diamond will look. For example my ring finger is a size 4.5 so my diamond looks quite large on my hand

Keep in mind I don't even know the least bit about diamonds/engagement rings (which is sad because I've been trying to research them for a while now), but I feel like a full carot diamond is big.
Just to be fair, most people would see 1 carat as a very nice size, but not "big" (in the context of "WOW that's a huge rock!").

I would personally have been a bit surprised/disappointed if my husband had bought me a smaller diamond just because he thought 1 carat was "too big." (No, not disappointed because of the size of the diamond, just disappointed that he had sacrificed the size/quality of the stone/ring because of his personal conception of what was "big" or "small", without knowing what I perceive as "big" or "small"... just arming myself for PS's male contingent's firing squad...)

Date: 11/18/2008 4:13:53 PM
She's a size 7 I beleive, possibly a 6.5 (she's really petite, maybe that'll be a good thing for making a smaller diamond look bigger!
2.gif
).
The average women's ring size is a 6, and a ring looking larger on a finger is all about the size of the finger, not the size of the woman
1.gif

What about getting a ring in something other than patinum, is white gold and option? This is a longshot but I also heard that their silver is really nice. I could be way off track since when I think silver I think cheap, especially for an engagement ring, but that's just something I heard somewhere.
Ditto what JulieN said about silver being too soft. It also tarnishes, which is not great.

White gold is certainly an option, many people prefer it to platinum. Some people have allergic reactions to the nickel in white gold, and it will mean more expensive upkeep (replating) than platinum.

It''s too bad you just can''t buy one of those blue boxes
9.gif

I suggest looking at some of the online vendors like whitefalsh and good old gold. Then you can see what $4500 will buy you if you get a good price and compare that to what you can get at Tiffany.

I think you can get a nice size diamond at least .50 to .75 carat and setting for that price online. My FI bought my ring at a local jeweler and I was sick when I saw what he could have got at one of the good online retailers for the same amount of money.

I can totally understand her wanting Tiffany though to many they represent top quality. I know I felt the same way before I started reading these boards.

Date: 11/18/2008 4:13:53 PM
She''s a size 7 I beleive, possibly a 6.5 (she''s really petite, maybe that''ll be a good thing for making a smaller diamond look bigger!
2.gif
).

What about getting a ring in something other than patinum, is white gold and option? This is a longshot but I also heard that their silver is really nice. I could be way off track since when I think silver I think cheap, especially for an engagement ring, but that''s just something I heard somewhere.
Did you look at the link I provided above? The white gold option for the WF Tiff setting is only $250. You won''t get much of a better deal than that, and most of your money can go towards getting the best quality diamond. Cut is what makes it sparkle and look its whitest, so you want to make sure you get the best cut stone!

Also, just so you know, the average ring size is a 6. If you think a one carat is too big, somewhere between 0.75 and one carat would look lovely!! In my humble opinion.
2.gif

Date: 11/18/2008 4:14:49 PM
Author: musey
Date: 11/18/2008 4:04:45 PM

Author: gwendolyn

we''d be remiss if we didn''t say you could get much more (not just size but colour/quality too) for your money if you didn''t go with a name brand ring.
1.gif

We''d also be remiss if we didn''t say that you should be sure not only that the Tiffany name is important to her, but that the classic solitaire is what she wants. There are LOTS of other setting types (and stone cuts/shapes, for that matter) out there, and not every woman wants a classic round brilliant knife-edge solitaire.

(Ignore all of the above if you already DO know that what she specifically loves is a round brilliant in a classic Tiffany knife-edge solitaire.)
Good point, musey! Sorry, I did just jump to the assumption that it is the 6-prong knife edge and not another Tiffany ring. My apologies!

cartisdm, has she ever shown you a photo of a style of ring that she likes? Or even a shape of stone?

Date: 11/18/2008 4:15:57 PM
Author: pixley
O.k., so I know not everyone is open to receiving a used ring, but just in case she''d be into it, Signed Pieces has this T&Co. ring: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=9881. About $1,500 over your budget, but it''s a lovely size and comes with original cert and box.
HI:

Currently at Signed Pieces, there is a 10% off sale on all jewellery and free shipping until Dec. 31. Offer code SP2008. Make this original Tiffany ring more attractive....

cheers--Sharon

Date: 11/18/2008 4:27:14 PM
Author: canuk-gal
O.k., so I know not everyone is open to receiving a used ring, but just in case she'd be into it, Signed Pieces has this T&Co. ring: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=9881. About $1,500 over your budget, but it's a lovely size and comes with original cert and box.
HI:

Currently at Signed Pieces, there is a 10% off sale on all jewellery and free shipping until Dec. 31. Offer code SP2008. Make this original Tiffany ring more attractive....

cheers--Sharon
ooh!

cartisdm, has she ever shown you a photo of a style of ring that she likes? Or even a shape of stone?

She has in the past hinted at them, but I honestly wouldn''t be able to give you any names off the top of my head. I can''t get away with much while at work, but when I get home I''ll check out the different cuts/settings and be able to give you guys more to work with

As for the name brand thing, I know I could certainly get a lot more by going with something else (knock-off or otherwise). I''m mostly concerned if I can get something that she will enjoy that she will be able to say "it''s from Tiffany." I no doubt am sure I can find a spectacular ring for my price range. It''d be a great day to see her expression if she saw I was able to pull some strings and get her one.

Date: 11/18/2008 4:29:43 PM
Date: 11/18/2008 4:27:14 PM

Author: canuk-gal

O.k., so I know not everyone is open to receiving a used ring, but just in case she''d be into it, Signed Pieces has this T&Co. ring: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=9881. About $1,500 over your budget, but it''s a lovely size and comes with original cert and box.
HI:

cheers--Sharon

ooh!
Can the budget be stretched at all? That looks great!
36.gif

Date: 11/18/2008 4:29:46 PM
I''m mostly concerned if I can get something that she will enjoy that she will be able to say ''it''s from Tiffany.''
For what it''s worth, my husband said that quite proudly once (at our wedding, my wedding band is from Tiff''s), and I felt so embarrassed! Like we were trying to show off or something. I''m always pretty sensitive to that sort of thing, though.

Date: 11/18/2008 4:29:46 PM

She has in the past hinted at them, but I honestly wouldn''t be able to give you any names off the top of my head. I can''t get away with much while at work, but when I get home I''ll check out the different cuts/settings and be able to give you guys more to work with
That sounds great! Please do let us know what she''s hinted at.
2.gif

As for the name brand thing, I know I could certainly get a lot more by going with something else (knock-off or otherwise). I''m mostly concerned if I can get something that she will enjoy that she will be able to say ''it''s from Tiffany.'' I no doubt am sure I can find a spectacular ring for my price range. It''d be a great day to see her expression if she saw I was able to pull some strings and get her one.
I totally understand. Tiffany used to be my dream ring too, until I realized exactly how much more I could get for the same money. But that''s me! Not your lady.
1.gif

Date: 11/18/2008 4:38:39 PM
Date: 11/18/2008 3:47:29 PM

My question is, what can I expect to pay? Their website doesn''t really give a lot of details about price because I don''t think it includes the diamond.

It does. You use the drop-down menu to select a carat weight, and it''ll tell you the base price for that size of stone in the setting. Looks like 0.5 starts at $4,030. That would be about on point for your budget, after tax.

Yup. I think you can get about 1/2 a carat in the basic tiffany setting, I VS2.

Date: 11/18/2008 4:48:35 PM
Author: neatfreak

My question is, what can I expect to pay? Their website doesn''t really give a lot of details about price because I don''t think it includes the diamond.

It does. You use the drop-down menu to select a carat weight, and it''ll tell you the base price for that size of stone in the setting. Looks like 0.5 starts at $4,030. That would be about on point for your budget, after tax.

Plus tax. ;-)

Date: 11/18/2008 5:08:30 PM
Author: Lioness
My question is, what can I expect to pay? Their website doesn't really give a lot of details about price because I don't think it includes the diamond.
It does. You use the drop-down menu to select a carat weight, and it'll tell you the base price for that size of stone in the setting. Looks like 0.5 starts at $4,030. That would be about on point for your budget, after tax.
Plus tax. ;-)
That's why I said "That would be about on point for your budget, after tax." Sales tax is different everywhere, but here in California that would be $4,362 and some change post-tax. The OP said his budget is $4,500.

I was trying to demonstrate approximately what his budget would buy him at Tiffany.

Plus tax. ;-)

Very true. I was thinking for his budget, not for the price listed on the website!

Date: 11/18/2008 5:37:16 PM

Plus tax. ;-)

Very true. I was thinking for his budget, not for the price listed on the website!
Sorry, ladies. I guess I was reading quickly and didn''t mean to insinuate any mathematical errors or your part. I was just trying to point out the sales tax thing, and show another advantage of online vendors. Am I mistaken in thinking that some of the online vendors do not charge sales tax?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP