shape
carat
color
clarity

tiffany vs carat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hatking

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! First I''d like to thank everyone on this website for all the great information and opinions I''ve read over the past few weeks. It really give me an insight into what I should be looking for when buying a diamond.

Well, I have a simple question that I hope someone can help with, but I need to give some background first. My best friend is marrying my girlfriend''s best friend and bought her a tiffany classic setting 1.01 G VS1 carat for around $13,000 earlier this year. I know my gf loves the ring but this is now impossible to buy without the inevitable copycat problem. After some searching I think that the tiffany novo is the best style to suit my gf and so today I looked at buying the ring from tiffanys. For my budget (similar to my friend) I can get a 0.83 F VS1 which looked great, however after reading about how much Tiffany''s overcharge I had to look around more. I live in Toronto so I tried Peoples (too pushy) and diamondsforless (too scary) before going to Mark Lash at Eglinton West. They were able to set me up with a great Novo style ring 1.06 E S1 for 2,000 less. My question is: what should I go for? Really, how important is the fact the ring comes from Tiffany''s or is my gf going to have blue box envy?

mystiqkal

Shiny_Rock
honestly everyone is different and no one on here knows your gf except for you.

Personally, i wouldnt care about the blue box. Color, clarity, cut, symmetry and polish matter more to me. i would give up the blue box to get a bigger better diamond. tiffany is just a name.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
How would you know whether the stones are comparable?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hard to say whether your gf would have blue box envy; only she can answer that.

However, I would like to suggest that if Tiffany's is the way you would prefer to go, you might want to consider purchasing from the US. I find the prices are better there even with the exchange rate.

A 1 carat Novo starts at $9500 US or about $12000 CDN.

Here's a thread where PSers discuss Canadian customs and taxes for jewelry purchased in the US.

If your gf likes the traditional tiffany solitaire, I'd like to throw out another option to the Novo. This is Tiffany's Round Brilliant with Tapered Baguettes, starting at $9900 USD for a 1 carat.

ETA: Spike13 just posted about her new e-ring from LM that is very similar to the Tiffany I attached here. Here's the link. Might be a more affordable option if your gf doesn't care about the blue box.

RB.JPG

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I could careless if it were Tiffany''s, especially if on a budget. However, before you listen to anyone''s advice about ''forgetting about the blue box'', it''s best to perhaps discuss with your girlfriend. If you are trying to surprise her with the ring, you should try to have others gauge how into having a Tiffany ring is. Essentially, I know your main goal is to make her as happy as you can--so our opinion is going to do you little good. I would definitely just buy a larger diamond from one of the vendors here on PS--and go from there. You can get something just as beautful (if not more so)--just minus the Tiffany name and mark-up price. Again though, if having a Tiffany ring is definitely what is going to make her happy--perhaps thats the best option. Only you and her can find the answer out for sure...

Good LUCK
9.gif

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 12:44:35 AM
Author: Dreamer1116
Personally, I could careless if it were Tiffany''s, especially if on a budget. However, before you listen to anyone''s advice about ''forgetting about the blue box'', it''s best to perhaps discuss with your girlfriend. If you are trying to surprise her with the ring, you should try to have others gauge how into having a Tiffany ring is. Essentially, I know your main goal is to make her as happy as you can--so our opinion is going to do you little good. I would definitely just buy a larger diamond from one of the vendors here on PS--and go from there. You can get something just as beautful (if not more so)--just minus the Tiffany name and mark-up price. Again though, if having a Tiffany ring is definitely what is going to make her happy--perhaps thats the best option. Only you and her can find the answer out for sure...

Good LUCK
9.gif
Just wanted to clarify--perhaps not more beautiful--but a larger selection, and who knows maybe find something completely different than she ever thought she wanted. I thought I wanted a three stone princess cut diamond--1 ct. center. However, once I tried it on--princess cut did not compliment my hand at all. I ended up purchasing a 1.5ct RB--and found my dream setting at a small jeweler here in Minnesota...

Beauty is of course subjective--so I just wanted to clarify that--no doubt a Tiffany ring is going to be beautiful!
1.gif

hatking

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses and new ideas.

I''m really trying to make this a surprise for my gf so I think I have to figure this out on my own. I know she loves labels as I''ve bought gucci and lv presents before, thanks to some not so subtle hints, and she was very happy. However, this time I think that Tiffany''s is just too overpriced and I should just concentrate on getting the best ring for my money. Also I think she''d appreciate something made specially for her.
Anyway, I think I need to do some more research and get more details in order to compare things properly. Thanks again for your thoughts, hopefully I''ll make the right decision in the end...

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I think deep inside, you already know your answer.

And I think that it is the Tiffany setting/ring. If your gf has the blue box envy, there''s nothing that can replace it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she likes designer labels she will adore a tiffany ring. I''d get the one from tiffanys that is in your budget and the one you think she will like the most. The nova is stunning and for a person who likes tiffany, that is worth more in value even though they are overpriced.

spike13

Shiny_Rock
Can you ask her best friend? She would probably know the answer.

Personally, as much as the blue box carries a bit of glee - when I was shopping for my diamond, I definitely felt I found got a far superior and more special ring buying a diamond from Good Old Gold and having the setting custom made from Leon Mege.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 1:20:53 AM
Author: hatking
Thanks for the quick responses and new ideas.

I''m really trying to make this a surprise for my gf so I think I have to figure this out on my own. I know she loves labels as I''ve bought gucci and lv presents before, thanks to some not so subtle hints, and she was very happy. However, this time I think that Tiffany''s is just too overpriced and I should just concentrate on getting the best ring for my money. Also I think she''d appreciate something made specially for her.
Anyway, I think I need to do some more research and get more details in order to compare things properly. Thanks again for your thoughts, hopefully I''ll make the right decision in the end...
Hummm... a couple of thoughts:

1. How about getting her something from an acknowledged but niche craftsman (e.g. Leon Megé, Mark Morrell, Lisa Krikawa, James Binnion - the latter two for mokume gane, perhaps not your - or hers - cup of tea)? This would get you bigger flash for your buck and have a much subtler "snob" value than a Tiffany or Cartier item.

2. Would you consider an estate piece? This may bring labelled goods well within your range (and infact may get you something much more unique than a run-of-the-mill item produced today, but that''s just my opinion)

eirechick

Rough_Rock
I sooooooooooo wanted a Tiffany Novo when we went lookin first, but to get what i wanted would have cost 27k that is in AUSD. The way I looked at it was at the end of the day people will only ask where you got it at the start but you yourself will be looking at it for the rest of your life thats why i went for the size I wanted in a replica..... I bought the diamond first and then got it made with the novo setting worked out at 10K AUSD. I have recently posted a pic of it here it is https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-tiffany-novo-replica.101286/. This is a 1.01 D VS1 platium ring and to be honest i love it and glad we still have our 17k in the bank. :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that if she loves the classic tiffany setting, the Novo may not be her cup of tea.

The Novo is a beautiful setting but completely different from the classic.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Tiffany Lucida and I agree with someone who posted up above that Tiffanys in the US is much better value than elsewhere. I would have paid an extra €6800 if I had bought mine in Europe. I think that it all depends on whether she wants a Tiffany ring or not. If she doesn''t mind, then I''d go and get a similar ring. If she wants one, then price around. Maybe get an I instead of a G. I have an I and it''s icy white. Or keep an eye on signedpieces.com where they sell second hand Tiffany rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results