shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips For Take Out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I order a lot of take out and I see the tip jars and have been tipping 10% by either leaving cash or by writing it on the credit card slip. I was wondering what most of you all do? I''m not sure if I should be tipping or not. So to tip or not to tip?

I tip!

I used to work at Cold Stone and we had to sing for tips (
20.gif
) but those tips made my hourly rate go from $8 to $10-$11, and I feel for restaurant workers. It's not what I'd call easy work...

ETA: Even a dollar from every 5th customer adds up, you know?

I never tip if I pick up the food myself...

But of course if they deliver it, we do...usually $3.

I never tip on carry-out, but I''m a great tipper for delivery. Come to think of it, I dont'' think I''ve ever seen a tip jar at the carry out counters....

I tip 10% for carry-out. The servers have to do a lot of putting together for a carry-out order. When I go to my favorite sushi place the server is who gets my salad and miso soup together and puts in chop sticks, soy sauce, spoon, etc. So I tip 10% every single time.

I tip for delivery (usually 15%) but not when picking up take out. I think my husband tips when he gets take out also. I don''t usually think to put anything in the tip jar if I see one.

No, I do not tip if I get the food myself. If it''s delivered, then of course.

I always tip, between 10-20% depending on type of service. Coffee shops and ice cream usually gets whatever change I receive, or $0.50 min., 10% for take out, 15% for delivery, and 20% for dining in.

My husband works (for fun) at a coffee shop, and the tips increase his hourly earnings by $2. I used to work in hosiery at a department store, and considering the meager wage, I used to wish there was a tip jar for the hardworking stock girl who was also an unofficial SA (i.e. not eligible for commission).

In this economy we eat out less frequently, but when we do, I make sure to budget for a tip no matter what.

I don''t tip when I pick up the food.

I always tip for carry out, probably roughly 10%.

As an ex-hostess for over FIVE years at the same restaurant, and a highly skilled carryout professional, I just wanted to say, never underestimate the power of 1 dollar!

Granted, if you ordered a carryout of 1 salad, and it required no work on my part, I would not expect a tip.

However, sometimes I''d get carry-out orders of even over 200 dollars, TOTALLY spec-ed out like crazy. Sometimes people would even have me write individual names on every box so they''d know what food belonged to who. All those extra sauces and everything, the hostesses get those. Throwing a dollar down on your carryout can really make the day of someone working in a restaurant trying to put themselves through school.

I don''t know how customary it is, but if you can spare it, it''s really nice to have all your hard work acknowledged, even if it''s just a buck.
1.gif

And while I''m on my tipping soap box, don''t go out to eat if you can''t afford to tip. When you don''t tip, we still have to pay on your food sales to tip out other people, so you''re actually COSTING us money when you don''t tip.

And yes, I''m an overtipper. I tip everyone.
1.gif

Freke, OMG - I refuse to go to Coldstone for that reason! I once told the guy at Coldstone that I'd like to tip but I'd really appreciate it if they DIDN'T sing and they still sung. I think it's horrible that a company would make their employees sing for tips.

Hera, for takeout, I always tip $2-3 - cash if I have it, but I add to the cc if not. I found out from a driver that even when a place does a "delivery charge" extra, that $ doesn't go to the driver.
38.gif

OOOOOH like CARRY OUT. Sorry, I didn't read closely. Oh goodness, I pretty much never tip for carry out unless they've done something extra for me or unless I requested something special. Even then it's an extra dollar or two.

If I go to pick up my food I tip a buck if I have it or add a buck onto the CC slip.
I figure the money in the tip jar will make its way back to the people who actually made the food since they were the ones who did the work.

If we are out to eat BF and I tip well. We start at 20% and it stays that way unless the service starts to deteriorate, in which case so will the tip.

Well, I used to not tip If I picked up my order but for places that I order frequently from I have started to leave a dollar or two. Curbside orders I think you should leave something since you dont have to leave your car. Delivery I definitely tip.

I dont think anyone should feel obligated to tip if you pick up an order, though. Putting an order together is part of the job. I used to go way out of my way to help customers & I was lucky to get a thank you.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP