shape
carat
color
clarity

Topaz or Citrine?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suzannecallison

Rough_Rock
After finding this forum, I dug thru my stash to see what I had. This stone was purchased about 35 years ago somewhere in South America (my mom thinks Brazil). My dad was told it was topaz, and had it set in a ring. Could it really be topaz? I value it for sentimental reasons, and wear it as a pendant, but if it has any substantial value I will sell it and give the money to my mom...

What do you guys think? Can you tell the difference without an official appraisal?

brown1.jpg

here
brown4.jpg

Suzanne

brown1.jpg

Judging from the color, it is probably a citrine. To know for sure, you need to have it identified by a gemologist.

Most citrine of that color is produced by heat treatment of amethyst.

Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take it in this week and post the results.

Suzanne

I just recieved my pendant back from the jeweler. This is a stone that my whole family loves, and I value more than rubies, simply because my dad bought it for my mom. Well, it is a very nice piece of quartz set in a very expensive 18k custom setting. My father really believed that everyone was honest, and passed the story down that this stone was a "national treasure" and the jeweler in Brazil would buy it back at any time. He would be smiling with me right now.
1.gif
A new page has been added to the story of this stone.

I value it more than ever. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I love all kinds of old jewelry and was not lucky enough to have had any family treasures past down to me- as there are no other jewelry lovers in the family. I have collected several antique pieces and have always wondered how they ever made it back into the market again. How lucky you are to have a piece that was so treasured by your father passed down to you. I also think the pieces that I have collected will now remain in my family as I see my two daughters showing the same interest as myself.

Hi:

I, too, behold your pendant''s beauty; and it also seems we have something in common. Twenty five years ago my own excellent Father, a jeweller, out of gratitude custom made me a citrine pendant--as all my friends spent their $$ in his shop. Since I have had the misfortune to loose him, I treasure that pendant (and the accompanying memories) more than any other costly piece of jewellery I own.

And I couldn''t agree more that the story your father told about that piece makes it all the more fabulous!!
emstar.gif

cheers

Sharon

And I couldn''t agree more that the story your father told about that piece makes it all the more fabulous!!

Thanks, he really did believe the best in people.

I hope that what few pieces of jewelry I have will be passed down for generations. And if a certain piece doesn''t have a romantic story, then I will make up a few gigantic lies and let them argue over what was true...
2.gif

Suzanne

Date: 11/6/2004 1:44:49 PM
Author: currada

Suzanne,

I love all kinds of old jewelry and was not lucky enough to have had any family treasures past down to me- as there are no other jewelry lovers in the family. I have collected several antique pieces and have always wondered how they ever made it back into the market again. How lucky you are to have a piece that was so treasured by your father passed down to you. I also think the pieces that I have collected will now remain in my family as I see my two daughters showing the same interest as myself.
No, you are the lucky one. You have daughters who share your passions. I''m going to have to wait for grandaughters (hopefully a loooong wait) and teach them to love gems. "Come on sweetie, lets go thru the jewellry box again...."

Suzanne

Hmm, my mother had a large golden pear-shaped stone inherited from my grandmother. I remember my grandmother wearing it as a pendant and assumed back then it was costume because it was big (inch or so? long). However my Mom says it''s an imperial topaz. From reading these posts I''m wondering if it really is a topaz, or they were simply told that somewhere along the line. My Mom never wears it, just keeps it in a safety deposit box so I haven''t seen it in awhile. However I treasure it no matter what it turns out to be, because of it''s association with my grandmother.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP