shape
carat
color
clarity

True environmental impact?

suprmodl

Rough_Rock
Recently discovered this site, but I am a long time diamond nerd and thrilled to have found other aficionados!

I want a diamond for my engagement ring with the highest possible sparkle and the lowest environmental and human impact. Ideally, this is a stone that’s grown in a lab that uses 100% renewable energy in a country with rigorous labor laws and also cut and polished in a country with rigorous labor laws. My fiance is willing to pay a premium (online or brick and mortar) for a loose stone, then have it set by our jeweler in town (we have someone in mind but they don’t seem comfortable with ordering loose LGD stones, which we respect; sidebar: we are open to recommendations in NC, especially if we can save a trip to Atlanta or NYC). Despite his willingness to spend more and my willingness to dive down multiple deep rabbit holes (I found a post on how to make a DIY ASET today and I’m entirely too excited about it), and my understanding that finding my ideal diamond from my ideal environment / human rights situation is VERY unlikely, we have had a hard time finding enough details about prospective stones to feel like we are making an educated decision.

Any guidance anyone can provide on how to find out about a stone’s true environmental and human impact would be greatly appreciated—even knowing where it was made and by which company would be FANTASTIC.

For funsies, here’s what we’re looking for:
~3.25-4 ct square cushion
Color: G or better
Clarity: VVS2 or better
Fluorescence: none
Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Culet: none / pointed
Girdle: medium to slightly thick
Cert with ID laser engraved on stone
Table: <68%
Depth: 63-67%
L:W: 1.00-1.03

Looking for tapered baguettes for the final ring, but I haven’t seen any loose lab-grown tapered baguettes on any sites, so one step at a time.
I searched the forums for similar topics and didn’t find anything, if someone knows of an existing post that’s similar, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Have you checked Brian Gavin? They have hearts and arrows cushion in lab. They would be top notch, quality wise. I helped my son in law choose my daughters H&A cushion from Brian Gavin, their Premium lab diamonds, and it’s gorgeous!

Have you checked Brian Gavin? They have hearts and arrows cushion in lab. They would be top notch, quality wise. I helped my son in law choose my daughters H&A cushion from Brian Gavin, their Premium lab diamonds, and it’s gorgeous!

I just had a quick look—wow! So much more info than most sites! Thanks so much for the info!!

Brian Gavin also has lab tapered baguettes and they could make you a three-stone setting. They're in Texas, if that's a doable place for you to visit, and they make custom settings.

What about an alternative to diamond? There are places where you can go mine your own sunstones, or Montana sapphires, probably other things too. Send it off to be cut by a reliable contractor and you’re golden. You know exactly where it came from, the work that was done to get it, and you get an exciting experience with your partner!

Honestly, if your criteria is to have zero impact, I would buy preowned.
Producing a new a new item is less sustainable than utilizing an existing product, regardless of either rings origin.
Additionally, finding one in your local area (nyc?) also would reduce environmental impact of shipping, driving, whatever.

Honestly, if your criteria is to have zero impact, I would buy preowned.
Producing a new a new item is less sustainable than utilizing an existing product, regardless of either rings origin.
Additionally, finding one in your local area (nyc?) also would reduce environmental impact of shipping, driving, whatever.

This, 100 % agree.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics