shape
carat
color
clarity

trying to get advice for engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trapdoor

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I am looking for an engagement ring and hope that you guys can help.

About a year ago my girlfriend and I were shopping for an engagement ring. Basically we were doing it just so I had an idea of what she liked. We looked around at a lot of on-line retailers and local jewelry stores. We couldn''t find what she had in mind until we went to the mall. We went into kay jewelers because they had an ad for the type of ring she wanted. The ring was about 1000 dollars. This is way under what I wanted to spend, and I thought no way I will buy from a mall store.

Now a year later I have been looking and can''t find that type of ring anywhere else. I went back into Kay just to look around and they still had that type of ring. I started to talk to them and they said that they could upgrade the center diamond for me.

Here is a link to the ring http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|990187407|15051|15051.15057.15107

If i buy this, I will upgrade the diamond to either a 5/8ct or a 3/4ct. After taxes and warranty, the price will be 2600 or 3290.
the color is H/I and clarity is SII/SI2

How bad of a deal is this and how bad are mall diamond stores? I am getting sick of not finding the ring anywhere else, and thinking about buying this just because she did really like the looks of it.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Err... The page says the main stone is an I1-2??

Date: 11/18/2008 11:31:22 AM
Author:trapdoor
Hi everyone. I am looking for an engagement ring and hope that you guys can help.

About a year ago my girlfriend and I were shopping for an engagement ring. Basically we were doing it just so I had an idea of what she liked. We looked around at a lot of on-line retailers and local jewelry stores. We couldn't find what she had in mind until we went to the mall. We went into kay jewelers because they had an ad for the type of ring she wanted. The ring was about 1000 dollars. This is way under what I wanted to spend, and I thought no way I will buy from a mall store.

Now a year later I have been looking and can't find that type of ring anywhere else. I went back into Kay just to look around and they still had that type of ring. I started to talk to them and they said that they could upgrade the center diamond for me.

Here is a link to the ring http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|990187407|15051|15051.15057.15107

If i buy this, I will upgrade the diamond to either a 5/8ct or a 3/4ct. After taxes and warranty, the price will be 2600 or 3290.
the color is H/I and clarity is SII/SI2

How bad of a deal is this and how bad are mall diamond stores? I am getting sick of not finding the ring anywhere else, and thinking about buying this just because she did really like the looks of it.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Welcome!

The thing is that you need the proportions of each diamond you consider as the cut quality is so important. Will Kays provide this info such as the depth, table, crown and pavilion angles at a minimum? Just had a look at the link, it says minimum clarity I2, it is therefore likely that such a diamond may not be eyeclean...

Have you looked at the online vendors to see if they have something similar or could make it for you?

Good work Susie!
36.gif
36.gif

I just wanted to chime in and say I''ve heard some really bad things about Kay''s. And one girl I knew only had her ring for a few weeks and the center stone broke. They did replace it, but with God knows what. I like the other options already posted in this thread!

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I am glad you talked me out of buying from Kay. I have been reading bad reviews about them. I am still trying to find my ring though. I have gone into a lot of different jewelry stores and can''t find something similar enough. I know I am just being picky, but I figure that this is a big buy for me so I can always wait to find the exact one!

Anyways, I was searching some sites and came across this http://www.primestyle.com/125ct-princess-diamonds-engagement-ring-p-56316.html

Has anybody heard of these guys? are they legit? The price seems really low, so I would get the best quality diamonds and metal that they have the option for. A couple things that concern me is the short return policy and i don''t know if they diamonds are certified.

Thanks again everyone

Date: 11/23/2008 12:36:58 PM
Author: trapdoor
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I am glad you talked me out of buying from Kay. I have been reading bad reviews about them. I am still trying to find my ring though. I have gone into a lot of different jewelry stores and can''t find something similar enough. I know I am just being picky, but I figure that this is a big buy for me so I can always wait to find the exact one!

Anyways, I was searching some sites and came across this http://www.primestyle.com/125ct-princess-diamonds-engagement-ring-p-56316.html

Has anybody heard of these guys? are they legit? The price seems really low, so I would get the best quality diamonds and metal that they have the option for. A couple things that concern me is the short return policy and i don''t know if they diamonds are certified.

Thanks again everyone

Not worth the risk...

Date: 11/23/2008 12:36:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I am glad you talked me out of buying from Kay. I have been reading bad reviews about them. I am still trying to find my ring though. I have gone into a lot of different jewelry stores and can't find something similar enough. I know I am just being picky, but I figure that this is a big buy for me so I can always wait to find the exact one!

Has anybody heard of these guys? are they legit? The price seems really low, so I would get the best quality diamonds and metal that they have the option for. A couple things that concern me is the short return policy and i don't know if they diamonds are certified.

Thanks again everyone
The trouble is that we know nothing about the cut quality of the diamonds and especially the centre stone amongst other things, and cut is so important if you are going to end up with a beautiful sparkly rock and also the diamond has no grading report that I can see. Have you looked at some of the diamonds susie posted?

Yeah thats what I assumed, just thought I would ask the experts
1.gif

Thanks for the quick reply!

So you are looking for something split shank or split crown going into a halo''d princess? With a square halo on the princess? I do like the silhouette on the original Kay''s ring, but would not be keen to buy from Kay''s. You might consider buying just the ring from Kays and the center stone online, but you would have to have some confidence in the ring quality and talk with Kays about what size stone would fit.

Otherwise, keep looking around online for something that suits your eye or think about going custom. It will be cheaper to buy a stock setting if you can find one - don''t be completely wedding (hah!) to the original, but I can see how the substitutes posted thus far are not quite right compared to the original shape. If you have the funds, though, custom is a great way to get what you want. Whiteflash in particular has great princesses and would do a nice job on a custom ring inspired by the Kay piece.

Yeah thats pretty much what I am looking for. Not necessarily the split shank. I have actually talked to kays about getting my own diamond to put into it. If I do that, They would charge 1000 for the band and a fee to fit the diamond. I actually might do that, but I would be afraid of loosing a diamond. I know I am probably just being picky and will eventually have to compromise. Thanks for the suggestion about getting it custom made. I am going to look into that

Insure the ring against loss after its set, this will cover the stone falling out. Also there is a small risk of chipping the diamond when setting it, so ask Kay''s if they will cover that risk when setting a diamond you bought elsewhere. If they will not, you might be better to buy the ring and send it to whomever you buy the diamond from for setting, as diamond sellers are in a better position to insure their own products.

But before all this, I would just make sure you are happy with the quality of the Kay''s ring (melee well set, etc) and their customer service and that you get specific measurements needed for a center stone to precisely fit - an ill-fitting diamond woln''t look as good in this ring.

Date: 11/23/2008 5:33:15 PM
Yeah thats pretty much what I am looking for. Not necessarily the split shank. I have actually talked to kays about getting my own diamond to put into it. If I do that, They would charge 1000 for the band and a fee to fit the diamond. I actually might do that, but I would be afraid of loosing a diamond. I know I am probably just being picky and will eventually have to compromise. Thanks for the suggestion about getting it custom made. I am going to look into that

Honestly, I wouldn't do that. The quality of the melee diamonds on the Kay's ring will just be SO dull and lifeless. I don't think this will be too expensive to go custom with, that is certainly the direction I would head in first.

DMB's girl has a ring very similar to this IIRC with a cushion...let me find it for you. It was made by Engagement Rings Direct I believe, who also made my ring. They are fantastic.

Date: 11/23/2008 5:35:50 PM

Thanks a lot for the help finding those! I am going to be looking at one very similar to the third link you posted

Just want to chime in and say that I LOVE this jeweler, and I have heard wonderful things about their quality and customer service!

Wow you guys rock lol! Thanks a lot for all the help. I would be completely lost without you guys. At first the shopping around was fun, but recently it hasn''t been any fun because I felt like I was running out of options.

Thanks a lot again!

If for whatever reason, you are still interested in the Kay's ring. There is the exact same one on eBay for $700 and taking offers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP