shape
carat
color
clarity

Under half carat diamond rings

Pumpkin Sparkles

Shiny_Rock
Opinions and input appreciated what does one do with sentimental diamond rings that are under half a carat but just don’t appeal to you like it did, but aren’t ready to let go of?
I have a couple of solitaire diamond rings 1/3 carat and 1/4 carat.. I just can’t justify resetting in a custom design. What do you do in this case?

The attachment is more towards the diamonds than the ring.

I’d look for a stock Stuller pendant, maybe a multi stone pendant, or I’d set it in silver. Maybe include some small colored gems. But I’d definitely wear them!

Or I guess if I’m being completely honest about what I would personally do, I’d hunt eBay for more small stones and make a graduated five stone or something. But I get that most people aren’t into that type of thing.

This is all assuming they are antique cuts and nicely cut.

I’d look for a stock Stuller pendant, maybe a multi stone pendant, or I’d set it in silver. Maybe include some small colored gems. But I’d definitely wear them!

That’s sounds like something I need to look into! I’m more of a ring girl but I didn’t think to look for mountings or stock items.. hopefully I can find some reasonably priced, everything has gone up in price especially vintage items. I’m hoping to revamp some of my old pieces I know longer wear. I really appreciate your input. Thank you=)2

Or I guess if I’m being completely honest about what I would personally do, I’d hunt eBay for more small stones and make a graduated five stone or something. But I get that most people aren’t into that type of thing.

This is all assuming they are antique cuts and nicely cut.

1 is a near colorless 1/3 carat diamond ring, in an illusion style setting that doesn’t do the diamond justice, maybe something of similar style but with fishtail prongs. The other is an art deco diamond ring with an early brilliant cut fancy color orange diamond. While I like the setting I believe a 2 tone setting would really bring out the diamond. I’m not able to take pictures but this is the orange diamond.IMG_1200.jpeg

I don't see #1. Am I missing something?

I don't see #1. Am I missing something?

No, I don’t have #1 with me at the moment and I don’t have a picture of it :confused2: I will post as soon as I’m able to.. I apologize you weren’t missing anything.

I LOVE that orange diamond ring! Can you describe why you no longer love it? Maybe you just need to let it rest for a while and it will grow on you again?

I LOVE that orange diamond ring! Can you describe why you no longer love it? Maybe you just need to let it rest for a while and it will grow on you again?

The orange diamond is beautiful and the ring itself is beautiful as well, the shank has worn thin and the prongs need work, instead of re-shanking id figure a different dress might do it justice. I love the 2 tone look I’ve seen in vintage fancy colored diamond ring and I may go that route. I just found a seller on EBay with NOS settings at a very good price. Some Jabel and Orange Blossom.

The rings in question, the setting of the oec limits the diamond, I’ve had it for 5 years.. no matter the size this diamond is meaningful and I want to wear it, maybe putting it in something different that accentuates the diamond better will bring back the charm.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1203.jpeg
    IMG_1203.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
These are both stunning as is lol! You won’t get much encouragement to reset from this peanut gallery :lol-2:

Seeing these now I think hunting for a vintage or antique semi-mount or else making a piece you want is a good idea. Or Stuller! Whatever you need to wear them.

These are both stunning as is lol! You won’t get much encouragement to reset from this peanut gallery :lol-2:

Seeing these now I think hunting for a vintage or antique semi-mount or else making a piece you want is a good idea. Or Stuller! Whatever you need to wear them.

Maybe I’ve just had them for too long and need change.
I will go the eBay route it’s more cost efficient and maybe when I do get something I can get the orange diamond graded, I’ve always been curious to see what its color would come back as. I really appreciate everyone’s input and helping me!

Both stunning rings, take your time. The orange one has me drooling.

I like them both just the way that they are, but if they don't work for you, then making something you want and will wear beats letting them sit in a box. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Those are both so beautiful! If you do reset them, I hope you'll keep the settings in case you decide to put them back in the future.

I sometimes find if I let a ring rest for a few weeks/months/years, I come back to it with renewed interest. Maybe that would work for you?

Both vintage rings are unique and gorgeous. Whatever you set the diamonds in will pale in comparison, IMO, unless you find another vintage ring setting or go to a finely made more modern ring - vintage or preowned for example RealReal sometimes has nice and well priced small stone settings/rings.

Another idea is to put them away and not look at them for a year and then they might look fresh again.

Another idea is to make a pendant and wear the smaller diamond on a chain.

Good luck!

Toi & Moi? They are beautiful & meaningful & a similar size, so could you combine them into one new ring?

Toi & Moi? They are beautiful & meaningful & a similar size, so could you combine them into one new ring?
That’s a good idea. Although you’d probably need to go custom it’s the price of one and not two.

Those are both so beautiful! If you do reset them, I hope you'll keep the settings in case you decide to put them back in the future.

I sometimes find if I let a ring rest for a few weeks/months/years, I come back to it with renewed interest. Maybe that would work for you?
I tried this, I haven’t worn these in a couple of years..
getting opinions from others reminded me there is other means of transforming this without the splurge. I believe I may look into getting vintage ring mounts and see if anything will be more appealing to set these in. I would consider the toi et moi but the 2 different cuts would bother me. I will definitely keep the art deco mount, it just needs a little tlc.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP