shape
carat
color
clarity

''Used'' diamonds...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear forum,

This is a question for vendors, or for anyone who might know. When someone upgrades their diamond with a PS vendor, does their old diamond go back for sale? So could we potentially be buying someone else''s gently worn diamond? I''m just curious. The reason I ask is I sometimes see well-cut diamonds with certs with old dates. Those have to be someone''s trade-in, right? Otherwise, if they don''t go back up for sale what happens to them?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They can go back for sale Laila, the vendors inspect the returned diamonds very carefully and if the diamond needs repolishing etc they will make sure it is done or whatever needs doing to bring the stone back to as new condition. Also it isn't always the case that an older report means a trade in, sometimes a diamond just takes a while to find a home depending on various factors. ANY diamond could be used so no guarantees whatever you buy or where you buy from.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They go back up for sale usually after a trip back to the grading lab.
Some will get a new report some will just get a verification done.
An old report does not indicate for sure a diamond has been sold before.
A new report does not mean it hasn''t.
One diamond has had 3 or 4 PS owners.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
The "trade-in" vendor will relist the stone for resale or sell to another vendor. As Lorelei stated, the stones are re-inspected, re-polished (if needed) and sometimes re-certified to verify spec info.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This used to bother me.
Like, who'd want a dead or divorced woman's diamond?

But then I realized they are now millions of years old, and will last millions more and the time it is owned by any human is just a blip in the life of a diamond.
For me this kind of puts it into perspective.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2009 12:00:12 PM
Author: kenny
This used to bother me.
Like, who''d want a dead or divorced woman''s diamond?

But then I realized they are now millions of years old, and will last millions more and the time it is owned by any human is just a blip in the life of a diamond.
For me this kind of puts it into perspective.
Yes I view it that way too. The diamond was here cut or uncut long before I was. The diamond will be here long after I''m gone. Hopefully still living with one of my children/grandchildren.
9.gif

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much for asking this question, because I was wondering about something along the same lines. If a vendor does sell a used diamond, does it have to disclose to the purchaser that the diamond is used or "pre-owned"?

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
You can get a "used" diamond anywhere. Tiffany has an upgrade policy -- so I''m sure even they reuse their diamonds.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 3:01:54 PM
Author: Lew Lew
Thanks so much for asking this question, because I was wondering about something along the same lines. If a vendor does sell a used diamond, does it have to disclose to the purchaser that the diamond is used or 'pre-owned'?

No. Why would this even be an issue? If it's been repolished, re-weighed, and has a new lab report, it is listed like any other "new" diamond. Some of the "new" ones might be recut old "used" ones, too. Pawn shops, B&M stores, estate sale people, etc. might actually be selling entire used rings as new and not tell you, but I doubt that any PS vendors are doing that.

Author: Kenny
This used to bother me.
Like, who'd want a dead or divorced woman's diamond?

Aaaaaah... Cut is everything, lol. ;-) And it could even be a dead or divorced *man's* diamond. If any jewelry or material things really were possessed with bad vibes, or ghosts, or bad karma, or defective feng shui from their previous owners, my abode would have become a battleground long ago.
2.gif

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2009 10:30:53 PM
Author: HVVS
Date: 11/7/2009 3:01:54 PM

Author: Lew Lew

Thanks so much for asking this question, because I was wondering about something along the same lines. If a vendor does sell a used diamond, does it have to disclose to the purchaser that the diamond is used or ''pre-owned''?

No. Why would this even be an issue? If it''s been repolished, re-weighed, and has a new lab report, it is listed like any other ''new'' diamond. Some of the ''new'' ones might be recut old ''used'' ones, too. Pawn shops, B&M stores, estate sale people, etc. might actually be selling entire used rings as new and not tell you, but I doubt that any PS vendors are doing that.

Author: Kenny

This used to bother me.

Like, who''d want a dead or divorced woman''s diamond?

Aaaaaah... Cut is everything, lol. ;-) And it could even be a dead or divorced *man''s* diamond. If any jewelry or material things really were possessed with bad vibes, or ghosts, or bad karma, or defective feng shui from their previous owners, my abode would have become a battleground long ago.
2.gif

As you quoted from Kenny, whether a diamond is "used" could be an issue for some. There are people who wouldn''t want to buy a diamond if they knew it used to be "someone else''s". I don''t feel that way, but I was simply curious if vendors (I was referring to vendors in general, not just PS vendors) were required to disclose the information, as they may have to with other goods (yes, yes, I know that diamonds are a class unto themselves...).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the replies everyone. Interesting. I guess I just assumed that certs with very recent dates = brand new diamond, and certs with older dates = someone''s old stone.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 6:15:44 PM
Author: Laila619
I guess I just assumed that certs with very recent dates = brand new diamond

Brand spankin'' new, just 3.3 billion years old!!!
9.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 6:15:44 PM
Author: Laila619
Thank you for the replies everyone. Interesting. I guess I just assumed that certs with very recent dates = brand new diamond, and certs with older dates = someone''s old stone.

Sometimes dealers have a diamond in stock for a while, like years, and it still hasn''t found the right buyer. GOG has or had a beautifully cut O color IF H&A like that. The diamond that I traded in has a brand new cert and a new writeup and is back out for sale.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2009 9:57:32 AM
Author:Laila619
Dear forum,

This is a question for vendors, or for anyone who might know. When someone upgrades their diamond with a PS vendor, does their old diamond go back for sale? So could we potentially be buying someone else''s gently worn diamond? I''m just curious. The reason I ask is I sometimes see well-cut diamonds with certs with old dates. Those have to be someone''s trade-in, right? Otherwise, if they don''t go back up for sale what happens to them?

Thanks!
Yes, I recently traded my diamond in and a few weeks later I see it for sale again (with a new GIA Cert #) and for almost 2K more! I was a bit shocked at the price difference, but figured they had to earn their money somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results