shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this orange red Sapphire

Aussiewen

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone
I came across this orange red sapphire that has been heat treated. Is it still worth buying this. It hasn’t been tested for BE treatment.
Does this pass as a Ruby?
Thanks
2BF2C8BA-A8DC-419B-9C05-4555B8D1A7A8.jpeg9B053BF7-14B1-4064-BB59-18381B020628.png

Hard to tell what color it truly is. Second photo looks more red than orange-red but perhaps a little undersaturated. Looks very sleepy in the second image.

I would not buy without a report from a reputable lab.

Maybe it's super-shallow? Does not look like a lot of light return.

I decided to bite the bullet and get it. No lab report but comes with a valuation from 2021. It’s set in 14ct White Gold with 54 points of diamonds GH si and 1.8ct 9.3mm by 6.4mm vivid orange red sapphire. It was only $500 usd so thought it was well priced .

Even though you can't be certain without a lab report, in this case, considering all circumstances, you can be certain.

Yes, I'd say the colour can be considered ruby, judging by those two pics.
The fact they're selling it as a heat treated sapphire instead is a dead giveaway for beryllium treatment.
Add to that the price of it and the picture is complete.

It's very pretty though. Enjoy wearing it!

Not that it’s definitive - but Multicolour has BE rubies, and they all aren’t super cheap.

At this price - if you like it’s look and will wear it, it’s ‘worth’ buying. :)

Will it pass as a ruby? Depends on the crowd.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. It arrives tomorrow and can’t wait to see it. It looks very red to me more so than orange. Makes me wonder how they distinguish it as a sapphire and not Ruby.

Thanks for your replies. It arrives tomorrow and can’t wait to see it. It looks very red to me more so than orange. Makes me wonder how they distinguish it as a sapphire and not Ruby.

Because it's beryllium-treated, which means it starts off as a pale, usually blue/gray color, and then transformed into orange/red. It would be false advertising to call the stone a ruby since the color has been essentially manufactured.

I think the color is gorgeous. I don’t think you can go wrong with that for only $500, even if it was a lab ruby. Can’t wait for your pics!

I think the color is gorgeous. I don’t think you can go wrong with that for only $500, even if it was a lab ruby. Can’t wait for your pics!

Thanks so much. I appreciate your positive reply.

I think that is the trade name for corundrum in that colour range, where the colour came about by diffusion. So I think they were likely very honest with you. Its beautiful though, what a pretty stone! And sounds like actually quite well priced.

Last edited:
Ooh I think it looks very pretty! If you don't mind treatment just enjoy it

Here are a few pics

F5A608D1-A981-40D4-862C-C6113BE14107.jpeg

its a very luscious colour
i actually love it
like a boiled lolly
no -like that cherry flavoured medicine one gets for a chesty cough
enjoy it and wear it in good health !
i love the colour (but im not a fan of red and prefer orange ,plus my screen does funny things with colour)

I like the color (flame spinel to me) and the ring is super pretty.

a NZ fire engine isnt really red either
XTD72F6VH5W4CIMTFW37B5LQ6M.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
f5a608d1-a981-40d4-862c-c6113be14107-jpeg.938187

a-post-box-in-new-zealand-HH09P0.jpg

Last edited:
its a very luscious colour
i actually love it
like a boiled lolly
no -like that cherry flavoured medicine one gets for a chesty cough
enjoy it and wear it in good health !
i love the colour (but im not a fan of red and prefer orange ,plus my screen does funny things with colour)

Thanks I’m actually thinking of selling it. Was a bit of an impulse buy

Thanks I’m actually thinking of selling it. Was a bit of an impulse buy

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(2
maybe wear it a few times to see if it grows on you
:(2

unfortunatly i did not win in the lotto last night or i would snap it up

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics