shape
carat
color
clarity

What does it mean when a jeweler states on an apraisal....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
What does it mean when a jeweler states on the appraisal that the AVERAGE clarity is VS and the AVERAGE color is G. I''m just wondering because that''s what it says on my E band report. Does this mean they are not VS clarity? Regardless, I love it. The diamonds still sparkle like mad. I never gave it much thought until I looked at the diamonds with my loupe.They don''t look like VS stones but I''m no gemologist and I''m defiantly not in the position to say they are not.

When I look through my loupe I see carbon spots, some of the stones are cleaner than others.Looking at my E ring I can see only a little on the top and nothing inside the stone.with my e band I can see some black spots in one of the stones with a 20X Luope. Thant''s the thing... I know 20X is twice industry standard for what diamonds are graded by. Could that have anything to do with it?

Like I said, its very pretty and I love it lot, its not that important to me to go through any more trouble.

PS: all the stones are eye clean and he is a member of the American Gem Society so I wouldn''t think that he would lie about the clarity.

Thanks in advance

It usually means that the stones range from VVS to SI so the average would be VS. At least that''s how my apprasier does it.

Date: 12/9/2008 7:43:33 AM
Author: elle_chris
It usually means that the stones range from VVS to SI so the average would be VS. At least that''s how my apprasier does it.

This would make sense to me, although I agree, just ask the appraiser!

Date: 12/9/2008 7:37:20 AM
Author:SandraPaneczko

What does it mean when a jeweler states on the appraisal that the AVERAGE clarity is VS and the AVERAGE color is G. I''m just wondering because that''s what it says on my E band report. Does this mean they are not VS clarity? Regardless, I love it. The diamonds still sparkle like mad. I never gave it much thought until I looked at the diamonds with my loupe.They don''t look like VS stones but I''m no gemologist and I''m defiantly not in the position to say they are not.

When I look through my loupe I see carbon spots, some of the stones are cleaner than others.Looking at my E ring I can see only a little on the top and nothing inside the stone.with my e band I can see some black spots in one of the stones with a 20X Luope. Thant''s the thing... I know 20X is twice industry standard for what diamonds are graded by. Could that have anything to do with it?

Like I said, its very pretty and I love it lot, its not that important to me to go through any more trouble.

PS: all the stones are eye clean and he is a member of the American Gem Society so I wouldn''t think that he would lie about the clarity.

Thanks in advance
Diamonds are graded at x10, so whatever you see at x20 is irrelevant as far as grading is concerned. Even an IF diamond isn''t going to look flawless under a microscope.

That is why a lot of people (myself included) are only concerned with a stone being ''eye-clean'' rather than ''mind-clean''

Neil is right on. Not sure if the case here but when there are lots of melee stones (say under 20 points each) it doesn't make sense from a time and cost standpoint to individually call out the grade for each one on an appraisal. I might be wondering if they specifically noted some SI stones or if "average" is standard terminology they use for melee (assuming that's what we're talking about).

Appraisers and the appraisal associations can't all agree on standard nomenclature to use, so it is always a bit of a mess. When an appraiser says "Average G" or "Average VS" in reference to a group of small diamonds there could be several different situatiions present. It could be that the stones are quite tightly grouped overall within the VS1-VS2 world or the high to low G world. Alternativel;y the appraiser may be saying the stones range from VVS2 to SI1 or VVS1 to SI2 in the overall with some possibly actually being VS1 or VS2. We don't know.

The same with Color. It could be these diamonds run from F to H, or E to I. It could be they mostly are F/G with one H that only the appraiser notices and does not wish to cause a problem for you or the seller. We don't know.

Sometimes "average" is confused or uased in place of the "mode", the most commonly occuring color or grade in this case, and the total range might be quite broad.

Having the appraiser who did the work explain it to you makes the most sense, because the rest of us can only make it sound ominous or worse than it likely is. Avergae is generally a nice way to just say "i didn't grade every diamond individually, but they look like X in the overall".

thank you for all your replies. I don't think I am going to ask Tom about it. That makes a lot of sense to me. Even if that wasn't the case and none are VS quality well then I really don't think if I called him up to ask him what AVERAGE means he would tell me anything different than what your telling me. I don't believe that is what he did for a minute. I think its like you said, some are VVS,VS and SI. and I'm okay with that!!! I asked this question because I was unsure now if you replied telling me that he scammed me and its really not a good thing when they say AVERAGE on the report or they are just trying to cover their behind while giving me poor quality then I would have made a fuss because I don't want Included, or imperfect clarity. But then again, if they were I1 then they would probably not be eyeclean and I would have noticed.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP