shape
carat
color
clarity

What does it mean when a necklace says "3 inch drop"?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking at this necklace on Macy's

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...519768&Quantity=1&seqNo=4&EXTRA_PARAMETER=BAG

The description says:

Approximate length: 15 inches + 3-inch extender. Approximate drop: 3 inches.

Does that mean that the drop is 3 inches from the base of the neck to the shortest/highest strand in the necklace? Or is the drop from the base of the neck to the longest/bottom strand in the necklace?

Thanks - necklace lengths drive me crazy...I am realizing I no longer like any of my necklaces - they all seem too short...maybe my neck got bigger? :-o

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm just judging from the picture maybe it means that the widest part of the necklace is 3"? I've never heard the term used for necklaces so that's just a guess. I know for bags, the "drop" is how far the bag is from the top of the shoulder strap.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, thing...

I'm thinking there are specific "rules" for this kind of thing - like the drop is always this or that...

I googled it but couldn't find a good explanation...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That doesn't make sense because people have differently sized necks.

For suits, the drop is the difference in size between chest and waist.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1355854377|3334751 said:
Hmmm just judging from the picture maybe it means that the widest part of the necklace is 3"? I've never heard the term used for necklaces so that's just a guess. I know for bags, the "drop" is how far the bag is from the top of the shoulder strap.

That was my thought as well.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1355855517|3334765 said:
That doesn't make sense because people have differently sized necks.

True...but I think there must be a "general" rule about what the drop means...just like for example, that a 16" necklace is a choker...for some people, 16" wouldn't even fit...for some people 16" would be too loose to be a choker. But in general, that's what you can expect if you order a 16" necklace.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it means that the length of the chain (the inner part of the higher portion of this necklace) is 15 inches, and there's a three inch portion of chain to extend the necklace to 18 inches. In addition, the three inch drop is the distance between the top edge of the higher portion of the necklace and bottom edge of the lower portion of the necklace. For example, if it were simply a pendant and the pendant was three inches long, it would be a three inch drop. That way, you can estimate how low the entire necklace will hang.

For the necklaces you have that seem too short, check out stand alone extenders. They are available online. Just have to make sure they fit the clasps of your necklaces and the metal (or at least color) matches.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1355859921|3334836 said:
I think it means that the length of the chain (the inner part of the higher portion of this necklace) is 15 inches, and there's a three inch portion of chain to extend the necklace to 18 inches.

Yes, totally agree on this.

In addition, the three inch drop is the distance between the top edge of the higher portion of the necklace and bottom edge of the lower portion of the necklace. For example, if it were simply a pendant and the pendant was three inches long, it would be a three inch drop. That way, you can estimate how low the entire necklace will hang.

I see! This "sounds" right! Thank you so much!

For the necklaces you have that seem too short, check out stand alone extenders.

I had no idea these things existed! I have soooooo many necklaces that I like but are too short! Thank you thank you thank you! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results