shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do in which order.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oakpark

Rough_Rock
Hi all, we''ve been lurking for a while, and have finally decided to go ahead and purchase a diamond engagement ring. BUT have a ton of questions about "how" to do this....

Would like to buy a 1.3-1.6 carat round brillant eye clean excellent cut (probably a sparkly AGS 0 H&A from what I read on this forum) from one of the pricescope vendors--probably F to I color/ probably something VS2 or better (I think we will ask for help on this later!)--our question is how to go about doing this....

1-first off, if we purchase the stone, how to go about getting it appraised and set?

do we order the loose stone to be sent to home, then take it to a local appraiser (Twin Cities Minneapolis-St Paul area) OR have it sent directly to the appraiser? , and if it is satisfactory, then take it locally to be set?

I know there''s been a bunch of threads about insurance and having the guys who set it have it insured or you having it insured before its set, but I didn''t follow what the consensus was about this.

Or do we look at the stone, take it to an appraiser locally and then send it back to WF or GOG or whereever to be set?
Or do we select the stone and have it set at the vendor THEN shipped to us and taken to an appraiser for our first review of the stone/setting?

2-We want a simple 6 prong tiffany style platinum setting--so should we order that too and have a local jeweler set it or purchase that locally? or order both the ring and stone from a vendor and ship the stone back to have it set?

3-How do we get the final appraisal of the stone plus ring (for insurance purposes)--bring the stone for the initial look over and plans for the setting or do they have to see everything together?

4-Lastly, for the wedding band, we''d like something with channel set diamonds in the band--what is the best way to "match" the wedding band to the e-ring --I don''t see any matching sets made with no diamonds in the band on the E ring but with channel set diamonds in the wedding band.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

This page explains the appraisal process, https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp And this tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Also if you purchase from one of the trusted Pricescope vendors, you will get an appraisal included with the diamond which can be used for insurance purposes, but if you would rather have independant verification and opinion on your diamond, then you should be able to find an appraiser using the search tool above.

You could order the loose stone and have it sent directly to the appraiser of your choice prior to mounting, alternatively a diamond can still be appraised once set although it is easier apparently with a loose diamond, it can be done. One thing you might want to bear in mind, if you have the diamond set locally, ask the setter if they will take responsibility for the diamond should any loss occur, this is rare but something that needs to be considered. WF or GOG can certainly supply the solitaire setting you want, so you might want to think about having them set the diamond.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
For independent appraisal I strongly recommend Richard Sherwood in Sarasota. http://www.sarasotagemlab.com/
I am sure that there are many other excellant appraisers but I can tell you he is top notch when it comes to an unbiased appraisal. Good luck!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Personally I''d have the online vendor set it. The style you''re going for is a classic (one of my favorites) and they will send you an appraisal with your purchase. You can get it apprasied after it''s set just for added peace of mind, but honestly if you do a search on the trusted vendors here, you should feel extremely confident with your purchase. You''re making a great choice by the way, you''ll end up with something truly amazing after having done your research!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 11:57:59 AM
Author: Kelli
Personally I''d have the online vendor set it. The style you''re going for is a classic (one of my favorites) and they will send you an appraisal with your purchase. You can get it apprasied after it''s set just for added peace of mind, but honestly if you do a search on the trusted vendors here, you should feel extremely confident with your purchase. You''re making a great choice by the way, you''ll end up with something truly amazing after having done your research!

Agreed. This is the easiest way to handle things, especially if the appraisal is just for insurance purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results