shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s a realistic diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gizzygone

Rough_Rock
Yep, Newbie (sorry guys).

I''ll be in the market for an engagement ring in the near future. I figured I''d start doing some research now.

I''ve seen the charts and guides online about what VVS, ABCDG, etc mean, but I don''t know what a realistic diamond really is! One is really inclined to want a D, FL, 2-carat, diamond, but I''m willing to bet it''d cost me more than I could make in a lifetime.

So, what really is a realistic diamond? What kind of diamond shines bright, and looks good? I''m thinking for my girlfriend''s hand a 1-1.5 carat would be a nice selection.

Welcome to PS!

I think many people want to maximise size for their budget, but you can''t sacifice cut - it''s the most important of the Cs and is what makes the stone sparkle.

You certainly don''t need a D colour (unless you want to pay the big premium for the top colour grade, FYI there is not A,B,C), and FL clarity is total overkill. If a stone is eyeclean, that is you can''t see the inclusions with the naked eye, why pay for a higher clarity when you can''t see a difference anyway?

Well cut stones will face up whiter than poorly cut stones, so you can easily drop colour grades and still have the stone face up white.

I would suggest, to maximise your budget, aim for G, H, colours, and VS2 or SI1 clarity *check if the SI clarities are eyeclean on a stone by stone basis*

If you use a trusted Pricescop vendor, you will be assured of getting a great stone at a fair price. If you are comfortable posting your budget here, we are happy to suggest some beautiful stones that will fit your requirements! Good luck!

What's realistic is entirely dependent on a balance of (A) your budget, and (B) what she wants.

That said, I have a G VS2 stone and I absolutely would not go any higher in color/clarity for MY eye... it looks white and clear as can be, I can't see a hint of color or a speck of imperfection in it--and I've compared it side-by-side with D/IF asschers. (That can sway in either direction, though, based on the type of inclusions and the cut of the stone.) There are many absolutely beautiful J-K/SI1 stones on PS, as well, and if you like antiquey cuts with some warmth (I sure do!) I've seen beautiful L-O diamonds on here.

CUT IS KING. Period. End of story. Maximize cut first, and then whatever other aspects are important to you (clarity, size, color) in whatever order they hold importance in your mind. You won't notice the difference between a FL and a VS1 stone, but you will notice the difference between an "ideal" and a "good" cut, without question.

I would first decide upon your budget (whatever you are comfortable spending WITHOUT going into any kind of debt), then try to figure out what she wants. What looks "nice" on any person's hand is entirely subjective. I may think that 1 carat looks small on my hand, where someone else may think it looks ridiculously gaudy. It really depends.

How about starting with your budget? That will really dictate your options.

i would love to own a well cut G SI1 rb.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP