shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats stones are mined in California?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Or were recently mined in CA?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That would be a mighty long list, headed by diamonds, tourmaline, jade, fine garnets, etc. I suggest you go to a library and look through the late John Sinkankas''s 3-volume series "Gemstones of North America." It lists California (and other U.S. gems) in wonderful detail.

John''s death a few years ago was a great blow to the American gem community. But this series of books and his many other writings and contributions to the field are a great resource and treasure.

Richard M.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Innerkitten...I think the idea of a "California Gem Collection" is just great!

What about Benitoite? I THINK they are mined nowhere else on earth except one mine somewhere in CA...San Benito, maybe? I saw one in person, once, and the scintilation and sparkle knocked me out... here''s a picture of one from www.acstones.com.

Also, I may be wrong here, but wasn''t morganite (pink beryl) discovered in California?

widget

BN-4411B.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2005 11:47:18 AM
Author: widget
What about Benitoite? I THINK they are mined nowhere else on earth except one mine somewhere in CA...San Benito, maybe?

Also, I may be wrong here, but wasn''t morganite (pink beryl) discovered in California?

widget

Hi Widget,

I''ll duck in here to say yes, benitoite (the official CA state stone) is mined in San Benito County, the only place on earth it''s known to occur. Due to its amazing dispersion and color, it has the appearance of fiery medium blue Ceylon sapphire. Unfortunately it''s quite rare and on the pricey side although specimens are often available at gem shows.

As for morganite, there''s an interesting "back story." George F. Kunz, the noted gem expert for Tiffany & Co. in the early part of the last century, put Tiffany into the gem-naming business (recent examples: tanzanite and tsavorite).

Kunzite, the lilac-colored gem spodumene discovered in California, now bears Kunz''s name, of course. But it was almost named morganite and would have been if financier J.P. Morgan had been available to give his agreement. As things worked out, Kunz is now memorialized in kunzite and Morgan''s name was given in 1911 to the peach-colored beryl discovered in CA. The same beryl had previously (1908) been named vorobyevite but that made little difference to Kunz.

FYI, in their heyday the tourmaline mines of San Diego County''s Pala District shipped tons of pink tourmaline to China to satisfy the passion of Empress Tzu Hsi for carved tourmaline. Unfortunately for California, when the Chinese government collapsed in 1912 so did CA tourmaline mining. It was revived in the 1960s largely through the efforts of Edward Swoboda and William F. Larsen of Pala Properties International.

It should be said that truly fine American tourmalines are also mined in Maine, near Newry.

Richard M.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Richard! SO INTERESTING!!!!

Now I want one named after me. Don''t you think "widgetite" has a certain ring to it?
1.gif

widget

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2005 12:53:26 PM
Author: widget

Now I want one named after me. Don''t you think ''widgetite'' has a certain ring to it?
1.gif

widget

I think that name has panache, elan and distinctiveness. Now all you need to do is discover a new gem mineral and get on the good side of the little Blue Box folks!

36.gif

Richard M.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten,

my california spess and california aquamarine are on their way!

here is a list of california mines:

http://camasterminer.tripod.com/id46.html

other good info at this website also.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a good contact for that lovely blue san benito county stone:

http://wsfgems.com/

a friend of mine told me about him several months ago and knows him personally. i believe his family owned a mine, he collects his own rough, and then cuts them.

my friend says scott''s work is exquisite and the stone is beyond measure. however, i think its a little soft for everyday wear.

clovis being rather a hike from my residence, i have yet to go and meet my friend there for a ''field'' trip.

actually, what''s holding me back on several things now is that my aged 22-23 year old cat has had a down turn in the last week or so and i''m spending as much time as i can with him. this may be his final days. however, once all is said and done, i''ll probably make the long trip to clovis for a look see at what my friend keeps raving about and trying to convince me that i should get instead of spessartite! i think i''ve finally gotten it across to him that i''m in the mood for orange!

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten and all,

gold in quartz is something i''ve been delving into the last few months and i some!

our benzonite source also has this:

http://wsfgems.com/goldquartz.html

and there is more o coming out of northern california: grass valley, oroville, etc.

also, see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3229&item=6517197264&rd=1

and more re kunz and california quartz w/gold:

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/2000/nov00/1100gn2.html

and last, but not least:

http://www.orocal.com/

yes, i have been devling into this for a a while!

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and one more just for fun:

http://www.silvasjewelry.com/gold_quartz_rings_l1.html

sorry, couldn''t resist!

i actually considered doing a quartz w/gold and diamonds for a wedding band and/or engagement ring but just don''t think it would be durable enough.......

peace, movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
California aquamarine! Where did you get it.
I hope you post photos of both of them when they arrive.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about kitty
7.gif
23 years old is very old for a cat. I''m impressed.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten, same person who offered the little three mines spess specimen on eBay and i quote:

"It is a smaller beryl but it has very nice color and is rare for the locality."

description: CALIFORNIA BERYL- AQUAMARINE, AUDREY LYNN MINE

now to invest in a digital camera so i can post them.

i welcome any suggestions re an appropriate digital camera.....

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may find this useful: California rock collection links (inlcudes gem minerals)

Definitely take a look at John Betts and California Room at Trinityminerals

Speaking of Benitoite... here''s one that got saved from the chop
2.gif

52815b.jpg

Pala should be the outmost repository of Himalaya tourmaline, no
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i welcome any suggestions re an appropriate digital camera.....
what will you be using it for mostly? digital cameras have come a long way....
you can pick up a fairly decent one on the cheap, or you could spend a few $$$$ and have all you'll ever need!
2.gif

*nice ana!!
3.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, Pala International is certainly the place to find tourmaline from the Himalaya Mine. Of course the Pala District has many gem-bearing pegmatites under varied ownership. One of the active ones at present is the CryoGenie Mine but there are many others like the Tourmaline King, the Pala Chief, the Mountain Lily, the Fano, the Stewart Lithia Mine, etc.

The mines produce sporadically. A big find will stimulate interest for a time but unless a new gem pocket is located the money and enthusiasm often run out until a new, optimistic miner comes along to lease or finance the diggings. The Himalaya has been the biggest and one of the most consistent producers since the 1880s. During its heyday over 90 tons of Himalaya tourmaline was shipped to China. The image is courtesy of The Arkenstone.

Richard M.

Himalaya Mine.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle,

something good enough to take pictures to post here....but i probably should be looking for something that i can use for more than closeups. would like to take more scenic pictures also but i want a really small digital camera.

my cell phone takes pictures but may not have the resolution for posting here. i''ll have to check with my husband as he is the geek and in charge of all things electronic.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle, will check it out further....and i might get it for even less as my daughter is a best buy employee and parents are allowed the employee''s discount.

thanks for the tip!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results