shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the best gift you''ve ever received???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
When I was a little girl, I wanted a kitty SOOOO bad. I would read books about cats, look at pictures of cats, dream about cats, play with friend's cats, the works. But my dad was allergic... so alas.... no cats. Well after 9 months of me just wanting a kitty sooo bad... my mom and dad took me to a farm to visit a coworker. I didn't know it, but the cat had kittens. I just thought I was being taken there to play with them... cause who doesn't like kittens? Well then they told me, to choose one! My dad let me have a cat, even though he was allergic. That was the best present ever... knowing that someone sacrificed to give me something that made me soo happy, even though they may have had some discomfort... just makes it special!

Now I still have a cat (not this one, he passed from cancer) and my dad is all like, how is Yolanda? I miss Yolanda! and when he comes and visits, he always plays with her... so he likes cats now! Well actually, everyone loves yolanda. She's cool, and does tricks... comes when you call her name, she swims (once I find the photo I'll post it!)... she's a cat-dog. (And our dogs act like our cat, it is funny... whenever they do #2, they try to burry it like our kitty! They also lick their paws, and groom their faces like Yo!)

Ok... so that was my happy story... what is yours?
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
That is my kitty swimmin'', swimmin'' in a swimming pool!

yolanda swimming.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTH? Is that picture really you and your kitty? I''m uber impressed, tlh. I don''t think I''ve ever seen a swimming cat before, in my entire life. Btw, every time I read your signature line I giggle!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my cat is crazy fun! I tried walking her on a leash, but that is where she drew the line...
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOSH I love your cat! That''s awesome.

The best gift I ever received was from my husband back when we had only been dating a couple of years. He knew I had spent several years looking for a particular first printing of a particular novel, to no avail. I did not know that once he learned that, he also starting looking for this novel, AND FOUND IT! He bought me the first edition, it''s in mint condition, and he gave it to me for the holidays that year. (And we only give gifts if we find something that really suits the other, so this was both a surprise and a SHOCK.)

I think I floated around for weeks after that.

*I should add that he tricked me with that gift, though. I totally thought it was going to be an engagement ring because in the card he wrote that the gift is a one-of-a-kind, something that is sought after by many but only discovered by few, the color is of the utmost importance (I wanted a yellow sapph at the time, and this novel''s author is famous for binding all of her books in a particular color), and it took him ages to find the perfect one. I was all choked up thinking "WE''RE GOING TO GET ENGAGED!" while I read it. But we didn''t, and I wasn''t even disappointed because the fact that he found that book was one of the most touching things anyone has ever done for me.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Haven, your story reminds me of Serendipity. But in a good way.
That is a great story! Your DH is such a sweet heart... the only thing that would have made that better was a proposal in it! (but then it wouldn''t have been in mint condition!) I do like the HINT... it made me smile! How incredibly thoughtful!
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, your cat is SWIMMING! That is so cute. I have to show my kids that one.

It's funny because the boys are doing swimming lessons and there is a cat that hangs out right next to the pool and we were highly impressed, but a cat IN the pool, now that is beyond cool!

Haven - which novel?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Haven that is the sweetest thing I have ever heard! I would kill for a first edition copy of Gone with the Wind, but that would cost as much as a car, so for now I will just be happy hearing stories like yours.

There have been 2 great gifts. When I graduated high school my mom had already mentioned that I would not be getting a gift as 3 months prior I was allowed to do something rather costly that I had begged for, so I understood. Graduation night came and she presented me with the most lovely pearl necklace with a sapphire clasp. It is still the most stunning necklace I own.

The other wonderful gift was from my FI and that is my puppy- he seriously makes me happy every day so it is the gift that keeps giving.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
tlh - your cat is TOO CUTE, I can''t believe she goes in the water
23.gif

This is going to sound pretty shallow, but my best two gifts were both makeup (who me, have an obsession...um...why do you ask?
20.gif
). But it really had less to do with the makeup and more with the thought behind it.

The first was a holiday gift from my mom when I was younger. It was an empty makeup case with a note inside that was good for "a shopping trip to fill this bag." It wasn''t so much about the makeup itself, necessarily, but my mom and I had such a wonderful time going and getting makeovers together and I felt like such a grownup getting "real" makeup. Then, every time I put it on, I thought of that special shopping trip and what a great gift it was.

The second was my DH (at the time BF) and my first Christmas together. He braved the makeup counters at a large department store and spent over two hours with an SA who knew me picking out things I would like there. Then he had it packaged in a beautiful box. It was such a lovely gift, because I knew how far out of his own comfort zone he had gone to get me something that I really loved and would enjoy, but that he got no benefit from other than seeing me happy. I still use the pretty to keep stuff in
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how neat
36.gif
i didn''t know cats can swim.
33.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
AmberGretchen. I like makeup too... shame I hardly wear it! Also, love that the DH went shopping for it! Love it when guys do stuff for you, that you know they aren''t...INTO! HA!

Sba771 - I love the story behind the necklace! Moms are just great for that! I read on another post about how much your dog means to you, and it is sooo sweet that your FI got him for you! Puppy kisses are just the best!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results