shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these would be closest to Holy Grail Ripples?

Hi!
Both are beautiful! But if i had to chose i would take multicolored from kojimapearls. I have multicolored strand from pearlescence and i love combination of light and darker colors.
Good luck!

IMG_2504.JPGThis is my strand I bought from PP 3 years ago and I love them but want a darker strand to wear with them.

To my eyes, the Cardellini strand comes off as thoroughly pastel (so, lighter colored) and the Kojima strand has varied-colored ripples, with some quite dark ... so if you want darker ripples, I'd suggest first checking out the Kojima strand.

Although, I did a quick search at Catherine Cardellini, and found this darker Ripple strand ... also beautiful!

http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2467

Last edited:
You could also call Kevin at Pearls of Joy and see what he has (as he's the original seller of the holy grail ripples). He often has darker toned ripple strands.

What's the general opinions of pearl experts/lovers regarding true Japan Kasumi pearls versus Chinese freshwater Kasumi-like pearls?
I've done a lot of reading/studying on both and see there is a big price difference between them even when purchasing from a trusted vendor who sells both.
I understand the reason for the price difference. I'm all about getting quality for my money regardless of cost.

Last edited:
I've never seen a Kasumi pearl (only Chinese ripples). You could call Sarah at Kojima (as she sells them) and ask for side by side pictures and an opinion.

I've never seen a Kasumi pearl (only Chinese ripples). You could call Sarah at Kojima (as she sells them) and ask for side by side pictures and an opinion.

I wonder then if the "Holy Grails" from POJ were/are from Japan or China? I suppose I should ask Kevin.

The Holy Grails were Chinese ripple pearls. As far as I know, Kojima is the only one who sells Kasumi.

The Holy Grails were Chinese ripple pearls. As far as I know, Kojima is the only one who sells Kasumi.

Thank you cmd2014!
I know Kojima does but was unsure if any other vendor does. I'm trying to learn all that I can because I see already that pearls are ADDICTIVE:mrgreen:
I want to make informed purchases.

lakekasumi.jpg
Kojima pearls sells both Chinese and Lake Kasumi-Ga-Ura freshwater pearls. I have photos of the smooth and ripples of both types. These are Genuine Lake Kasumi pearls.

Last edited:
These are examples of bleached white and natural color ripples from China from Kojima pearls.
chinese kasumi look alikes.jpg

Pearls of Joy sometimes carries them the chinese ripple pearls

lakekasumi.jpg
Kojima pearls sells both Chinese and Lake Kasumi-Ga-Ura freshwater pearls. I have photos of the smooth and ripples of both types. These are Genuine Lake Kasumi pearls.

Thanks NacreLover, they are gorgeous!
Do those belong to you?

DSCF1720.JPG No, I took a photo of them at the Malibu Pearl Guide ruckus a few years ago. I have seen them also when I have driven over to her studio at San Rafael. I have more photos if you want to see. These are metallic Lake Kasumi ripples.

DSCF1730.JPG

You never know what you will see there. Love this piece too. YUM!DSCF1737.JPG

Such beaut

such gorgeous pearls!
What is "holy grail" ripples, btw?

DSCF1720.JPG No, I took a photo of them at the Malibu Pearl Guide ruckus a few years ago. I have seen them also when I have driven over to her studio at San Rafael. I have more photos if you want to see. These are metallic Lake Kasumi ripples.

Yum NacreLover, yes I would LOVE to see more!
I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to spend more on Japanese Kasumi or find a great strand of Chinese ripples.

Most that want Lake Kasumi do so because they are rare and they collect one of a kind pearls with providence. These farmers work hard to create these works of art, and there are only three farms. It just depends on what is important to you.

Most that want Lake Kasumi do so because they are rare and they collect one of a kind pearls with providence. These farmers work hard to create these works of art, and there are only three farms. It just depends on what is important to you.

Exactly ! Well said ! If it's important to have something rare..something that , mostly likely, only you will recognise ..then Kasumi If you just like the look and want large dark ripple pearls ( be sure to get photos in different light conditions..they can look darker in a light box but be rather insipid in daylight) then save the money and go with Ripples. You get the effect you like but have money left over for....more pearls !!

Phyllis Japan and Chinese fresh water pearls -2  6503.jpg
I am talking with Sarah from Kojima Pearls.
Here is a photo she sent me for comparison. 2 strands are 2017 Kasumi harvest and 1 Chinese ripple strand.
Yes, they are quite a bit lighter in color than other photos she has sent me which will be on her website pretty soon.

My favourite is the far right hand strand. Amazing colours!

My favourite is the far right hand strand. Amazing colours!

It's mine too The 2 end strands are her newest Kasumi. The one on the right is her top 2017 harvest 19", 10-15mm and is $5K!
The middle strand is Chinese ripples, 16.5" is the link above in my first post.
Left strand is 2017 Kasumi, 35" rope, 10-14mm $3.6K.

Of course I like the most expensive strand! If it's too exxy, you could always hold out for a strand of Chinese ripples with that level of colour intensity.

I believe these are the pearls you are trying to emulate. They were at the ruckus in our light box shot.

DSCF0537.JPG

DSCF0528.JPG

No three years ago. Baby nurse here has them.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP