shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or platinum prongs recommended

90marv90

Rough_Rock
So as I continue to search for a good diamond within my budget I do have a question about the prongs which is preferred white gold or platinum.doing my initial search for rings I was told platinum is recommended. Is that just an up sale or is it the actual case. I figured I'll ask that question as well since using you guys advise in he diamond search process as well which a little harder than I thought

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is stronger than white gold. It’s the perfect metal for prongs as it holds the stone securely and doesn’t wear away like gold does, only displaces and can be buffed back in place.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is also the issue of plating. Platinum does not need plating whereas white gold does, though some choose unplayed white gold.

I prefer platinum with a two tone setting for the color, too, and texture which differs slightly between white gold (plated or unplayed).

90marv90

Rough_Rock
Oh ok sounds good now if I can only found a diamond the maybe a woman's best fr but they sure aren't mine at the moment lol

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not sure if you are going to have the setting custom made or not, but David Klass does have a white gold that does not need to be replated. If you are buying a stock setting however, then I'd look for platinum prongs.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is often preferred because it is stronger than 18ct white gold. 18ct gold has quite a bit of ductility which can be an issue with prongs ie catch a prong and it can be bent away from holding the diamond. Usually 18ct white gold is rhodium plated to make it nice and white and shiny and that plating wears off over time (replating is easily done however).
However, platinum is a bit greyish on colour which is why I prefer rhodium plated white gold.

sparkles24

Rough_Rock
Love my plat prongs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results