shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold question..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I know that white gold, after a period of time, needs to be rhodium dipped. Depending on body chemistry and such. I have had a couple WG rings that started to yellow. I have 2 ring that are WG. One is my mothers original e-ring set from maybe 40 years +/-. It still looks white as ever. And I wear a tiny band that is still white too. This was purchased about 5 years ago.

My question is how come some of my rings yellow and these two didn''t? Please help me.

different alloys

Okay, would you know what alloys? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know so if in the future I can get WG that doesn''t turn yellow. Thank you

to my knowledge, nickel is the whitest...

Date: 3/3/2007 9:16:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
to my knowledge, nickel is the whitest...
C is right (as usuual).

In the bad old days we were allowed to use nickel white gold alloys for the bands as well as palladium pure or in alloys.
simply put - 75% gold 25% nickel = nice white and very hard to bend or dent / scratch metal that was great for bands.
The setting parts would be mae with more expensive paladium alloys that were easier to bend and set stones into - a little less white.

But 1 in 100 or 1,000 people have a reaction to nickel - usually in their pierced ears or from wide flat type necklaces.

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make ''whitish'' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.

Thank you both.
35.gif

Date: 3/3/2007 9:26:49 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

C is right (as usuual).

In the bad old days we were allowed to use nickel white gold alloys for the bands as well as palladium pure or in alloys.
simply put - 75% gold 25% nickel = nice white and very hard to bend or dent / scratch metal that was great for bands.
The setting parts would be mae with more expensive paladium alloys that were easier to bend and set stones into - a little less white.

But 1 in 100 or 1,000 people have a reaction to nickel - usually in their pierced ears or from wide flat type necklaces.

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make 'whitish' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.
I don't know if it's come across the pond much, but Stuller's X-1 white gold alloy (14K) has good whiteness and passes the EU Nickel Release tests (though it's rumored to contain a bit of nickel). We haven't bought any of the casting grain ourselves, as it's yet untested for longevity and durability, but it's received positive reviews.

Date: 3/4/2007 12:40:16 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 3/3/2007 9:26:49 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

C is right (as usuual).

There has been a gross over reaction to this allergy and so legislators have forced people try to make ''whitish'' alloys and use too little paladium = yellowish white gold.
I don''t know if it''s come across the pond much, but Stuller''s X-1 white gold alloy (14K) has good whiteness and passes the EU Nickel Release tests (though it''s rumored to contain a bit of nickel). We haven''t bought any of the casting grain ourselves, as it''s yet untested for longevity and durability, but it''s received positive reviews.
I saw some at greenlake... it, unplated, was just the tiniest tinge warmer than polished platinum was.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP