shape
carat
color
clarity

Why can’t pear diamonds be optimized for light return too?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love pear shaped diamonds. I love marquise too…and I think this complaint applies to both of these shapes.

I have seen all sorts of branded “fresh takes” on fancy cut diamonds - ovals, step cuts, cushions, even princess…(I am sure I’m missing some) there are actually great options available for those shapes if you care a lot about having a well cut diamond.

But why not pears? I know the pointed end isn’t great for light return, but they are such a feminine and beautiful shape and I think that they deserve a bit of a makeover by a brilliant diamond cutter who wants to reimagine how incredible they could be.

I’d love to own one, but I’m tired of seeing mushy facets, bowties and asymmetry. Let’s face it, it seems like most modern brilliant pears available are not great and antiques are impossible to find!

Is there a branded pear cut that I’m missing that exists in the market? I’ve looked to no avail.

Not sure about pears, but I've seen lots of ovals lately cut for less bowtie and better light return.
What I've noticed is these "ovals" are no longer "oval", they look like elongated rounds to me.. a weird shape for sure I think.

If something like that would needed to be done to a pear, I know I wouldn't like pears anymore.

I think aside from antique cut pears, the nicest cut I've seen for pears is a barion cut (to be fair, it was actualy a Wink CZ in that cut and not a diamond).

I have always wondered why pear diamonds were not cut to this style, as there is no bowtie and pretty good light performance. This specific barion cut diagram is for other types of gemstones (quartz family), but an idea here:

I keep hoping @Rhino at some point will put out an antique style pear cut to go along with the rest of his amazing line up. ;)

I think aside from antique cut pears, the nicest cut I've seen for pears is a barion cut (to be fair, it was actualy a Wink CZ in that cut and not a diamond).

I have always wondered why pear diamonds were not cut to this style, as there is no bowtie and pretty good light performance. This specific barion cut diagram is for other types of gemstones (quartz family), but an idea here:

I keep hoping @Rhino at some point will put out an antique style pear cut to go along with the rest of his amazing line up. ;-)

Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen some beautifully cut pear colored stones…and the expectation wouldn’t be PERFECT light return, I just want as good a cut as possible!

Oh gosh if @Rhino created something - I’d be ALL over them! I’m dying for a pair of pears for studs…

Johnathan let me know if you ever want to make prototypes - I’ll volunteer as a guinea pig! :lol: :dance:

I may be wrong but have been told that pears are basically aka mathematical speaking, the worse possible compromise for light performance.

Round + oval + pointy bit = hot mess light return.

I may be wrong but have been told that pears are basically aka mathematical speaking, the worse possible compromise for light performance.

Round + oval + pointy bit = hot mess light return.

Hmm interesting.

there has to be a way to still make them generally more aesthetically pleasing, right?

I mean so many antique pears look beautiful compared to many modern counterparts - but I doubt any have perfect light return by any means

Hmm interesting.

there has to be a way to still make them generally more aesthetically pleasing, right?

I mean so many antique pears look beautiful compared to many modern counterparts - but I doubt any have perfect light return by any means

I agree. So many modern pears almost look like a crushed ice cut. My theory is cutters are trying to hide the bow tie area by splintering all the light in the middle. My pear has a bow tie, a bit at least, I’ll take that over the crushed look. It’s dead symmetrical and the facet lines are clear.
0CCA8D79-CF24-454B-8B02-A47720BC4572.jpeg

I know @Cerulean ...its sad isnt it? They could at least optimize the rounded end. It may end up with a squat body though. Then we lose
that beautiful pear shape that most pear-lovers want. I think they just arent in high enough demand and like @caolsen said, just too hard
to optimize. Maybe @Karl_K can take a whack at it???

BTW I love all the little H&A fancy cuts at BN. I'd like to have a small one of each in a fancy shape diamonds by the yard
bracelet. Unfortunately, they all come with a premium!

I mean look at this cute little radiant

Here is the heart for anyone interested

And cute little oval

Last edited:
the old small table high top pears are the ultimate pears in my opinion, not the brightest stones but absolute flashballs and fireballs.

the old small table high top pears are the ultimate pears in my opinion, not the brightest stones but absolute flashballs and fireballs.

This matches the description of pears I’ve liked the best - chunky, chubby old cut pears with small tables, they also have culets and and big facets of we are imagining the same thing

if anyone could reproduce anything like that - I’d buy it!

AMEN @Cerulean !!!! I concur! Why has nobody done this yet?
I thought this SAME THING…
…. @Rhino ? ;)

This matches the description of pears I’ve liked the best - chunky, chubby old cut pears with small tables, they also have culets and and big facets of we are imagining the same thing

if anyone could reproduce anything like that - I’d buy it!

Occasionally Alex Parks has new cut, old style pears. Might be hit or miss, but he’s a place to start.

I agree. So many modern pears almost look like a crushed ice cut. My theory is cutters are trying to hide the bow tie area by splintering all the light in the middle. My pear has a bow tie, a bit at least, I’ll take that over the crushed look. It’s dead symmetrical and the facet lines are clear.
0CCA8D79-CF24-454B-8B02-A47720BC4572.jpeg

you've got a lovely one! agree - id rather a bowtie than splintery mush...

Occasionally Alex Parks has new cut, old style pears. Might be hit or miss, but he’s a place to start.

i have seen them. i haven't seen a pair yet, but every one i've seen seems SO shallow...i wonder why that is

I think pears just don't look good with diamonds. The only decent looking ones I've seen are cut with a culet. They still aren't exceptional looking, but they're at least pretty neat. I think colored gemstones can look really nice in a pear cut - go figure

If you ask him to keep an eye out for something specific, I'm sure he'll be happy to oblige.

i have seen them. i haven't seen a pair yet, but every one i've seen seems SO shallow...i wonder why that is

I think pears can run shallow, or at least have a tendency to be shallow based on the math. Add in no culet in an antique cut, and yeah - they are shallow. But the shallow ones can face up HUGE! Mine is only. 2.7 something carats and she’s a full 14mm long.

I think pears just don't look good with diamonds. The only decent looking ones I've seen are cut with a culet. They still aren't exceptional looking, but they're at least pretty neat. I think colored gemstones can look really nice in a pear cut - go figure

Agree. My favorite pear diamonds are those that are antique. The faceting (to my eye) is pleasing in a way modern pears aren't to me. Where the faceting appears (to me) to be random and messy.

Two different pears. Both lovely IMO. Chunkalicious. I wouldn't change a thing about these.

1.39ct Antique Pear Cut Diamond GIA F VS1-L.jpg

1.17ct Pear Shaped Diamond GIA EVS1 3-L.jpg

Agree. My favorite pear diamonds are those that are antique. The faceting (to my eye) is pleasing in a way modern pears aren't to me. Where the faceting appears (to me) to be random and messy.

Two different pears. Both lovely IMO. Chunkalicious. I wouldn't change a thing about these.

Is it a sign of having a problem when you can recognize a vendor’s tweezers?

Is it a sign of having a problem when you can recognize a vendor’s tweezers?

Hahaha no that just makes you a good PSer. :read: :cool2:

Yoram has some antique pears that were newly cut.

Wholeheartedly agree. These are delicious. JBG has had some yuuummmy pears in her inventory at different times.

Yoram has some antique pears that were newly cut.

Wow these are so beautiful - thank you for sharing! I am sure they are out of my budget...but gorgeous pair of pears!

If you look at the cross section longitudinally how can you expect light to hit 2 pavilions and bounce out again through the top?
If you look at those 2 antique cuts you can see the culet is close to the center of the stones.
People these days want a rounded bottom (we are talking diamonds) and elongated pointy end - so if Karl wants to be famous for more than one cut - get to it boyo!

If you look at the cross section longitudinally how can you expect light to hit 2 pavilions and bounce out again through the top?
If you look at those 2 antique cuts you can see the culet is close to the center of the stones.
People these days want a rounded bottom (we are talking diamonds) and elongated pointy end - so if Karl wants to be famous for more than one cut - get to it boyo!

But you know that some of us like flat, big a** ole cutlets. It’s like the Baby Got Back of stone cuts.

But you know that some of us like flat, big a** ole cutlets. It’s like the Baby Got Back of stone cuts.

Couldn’t have said it better myself haha!

I have played around with pears and in my opinion someone someday is going to ASETfy a pear cut.
It is going to suck under anything but an ASET scope but hey marketing.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP