shape
carat
color
clarity

Windowing in Emerald

farnu1126

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, have been searching for the perfect lab emerald for my girlfriend and have been doing some research. I have just become aware of the commonality of 'windowing' in emeralds. Is there any indicators I could look for when searching online? The clarity I am looking at is VVS1, Excellent/Ideal for Cut, Polish and Symmetry.

Here is the current emerald I am looking at, as well as a link to the video - 360 video

So nervous picking one out! Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-10-14 143732.png

@farnu1126 Pricescope has multiple fora, each dedicated to various categories of gems.
For example the Colored Gems forum is where rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc. are discussed.
I write this because here on PS when the term emerald is used alone (instead of emerald-cut diamond) it is assumed you're talking about the green gem, emerald.

The diamond you posted is lab-grown.
This forum, Rocky Talk, is only for natural (minded from the earth) diamonds.

Here is the forum your thread belongs in:

I'd just start a new thread there.

BTW, windowing is caused by the diamond being cut to the wrong depth needed to deliver the best light performance, and/or the facets not being positioned & angled correctly to reflect and return the light back to the viewer's eye. Instead light just passes through (leaks) out the bottom, like a window.
You might ask, but then why were they cut wrong?
The answer is, follow the money.

A poorly cut 1 carat diamond will be much easier to sell than the 3/4 carat diamond that could be cut from the same piece of rough diamond.
Diamond material is expensive, precious even, and while everyone understands carat weight, few shoppers are taught that diamond can only put on a good light show if all the angles are cut just right.

All the diamond cut education here on Pricescope applies equally to natural & lab-grown diamonds.

Click on EDUCATION and RESOURCES tabs above.
Read about Ideal and ASET scopes for evaluating diamond shapes that are not round because the HCA tool only works for round diamonds.

Also, I'd do a search here for threads about how to recognize good light performance in emerald cuts. (Clue: learn lots about the ASET scope and how to spot ASET pics that were properly and improperly taken)
The more you learn, the better-performing diamond you'll end up with.

Good luck, and take your time.

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP