shape
carat
color
clarity

Worldwide Microsoft Outage

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just seeing this on the news. Not sure if we are affected in any way.

My DH has said in the past that the way to cripple our country (and the world) is to take down the internet etc. And he said it is very doable. Unfortunately. Of course this appears to be a different issue/cause but it gives me concern for potential future cyber attacks.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a frantic call from DD. She wanted her computer at home closed down. Apparently in the lab they all freaked as not only is their data sensitive it is research data and not knowing what the issue was (hacked / sabotage ?) they all sprinted around logging out of computers.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just seeing this on the news. Not sure if we are affected in any way.

My DH has said in the past that the way to cripple our country (and the world) is to take down the internet etc. And he said it is very doable. Unfortunately. Of course this appears to be a different issue/cause but it gives me concern for potential future cyber attacks.

This is 100% my thought.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy I have Apple today!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my computer (windows) is working fine.

lala646

Ideal_Rock
My company seems to be fine, but it is interrupting business for a few of our clients.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the company I work for is global and for the most part I think most were ok but some of our applications weren't working and there were some of my team mates that couldn't log on at all....

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
my computer (windows) is working fine.

Because it’s not Microsoft, it’s CrowdStrike. It’s just that only windows machines are affected by the software update. But since CrowsStrike is offering services to other businesses (many and big businesses), personal computers are not affected.

That wasn’t known when the problem first appeared but technically the thread title is wrong.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because it’s not Microsoft, it’s CrowdStrike. It’s just that only windows machines are affected by the software update. But since CrowsStrike is offering services to other businesses (many and big businesses), personal computers are not affected.

That wasn’t known when the problem first appeared but technically the thread title is wrong.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I had heard that the issue was with a CrowdStrike update to Microsoft, so I assumed (wrongly, I guess) that it would then pass through to people using Microsoft. But you're saying it's people using CrowdStrike who are also operating on Windows? Is that correct?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I had heard that the issue was with a CrowdStrike update to Microsoft, so I assumed (wrongly, I guess) that it would then pass through to people using Microsoft. But you're saying it's people using CrowdStrike who are also operating on Windows? Is that correct?

Businesses using crowdstrike, yes. They operate in the field of cybersecurity and their services are used globally.

In short, they pushed an update that bricked the machines and they entered an infinite bsod loop. The problem was identified and fixed relatively quickly but due to the nature of the damage, it wasn’t as simple as “just update the machine” because the machine, you know, wouldn’t start. Every single machine has to be manually fixed, hands on keyboard. Put it in recovery mode, disable the problematic driver, implement the fix, restart (putting it simply). It’s… going to take a while.

This is the reason you saw flights grounded, bank services disrupted, websites down and even a tv network off the air.

This is the biggest IT outage in history. Some have said that this is what they feared with y2k. Technically criowdstrike are the biggest in their field, I wonder how they’re gonna survive this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh's firm was affected but they were able to conduct business via phone until their IT people fixed the issue. It got fixed mid day I believe. Here is an article in our local paper

"

Some Hospital Services In Central, Southern New Jersey Disrupted By Tech Outage​

Some hospitals were delaying scheduled patient procedures but critical care was not affected by the CrowdStrike outage, officials said.​

Karen Wall's profile picture

Karen Wall
Posted Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 2:41 pm ET|Updated Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 2:44 pm ET

The global CrowdStrike tech outage was affecting some hospitals but not others, officials said.

The global CrowdStrike tech outage was affecting some hospitals but not others, officials said. (Shutterstock)
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY — Hospitals in parts of central and southern New Jersey have delayed scheduled patient procedures as a result of disruptions from the global CrowdStrike tech outage on Friday, officials said.
RWJ Barnabas Health, the largest health system in New Jersey, which has hospitals in Monmouth, Ocean and Mercer counties, was delaying scheduled patient procedures out of an abundance of caution, said Robert Cavanaugh, a spokesman for the health care network.
"RWJBarnabas Health is currently experiencing an impact to some computer and telecommunications systems as a result of the defective Microsoft update from Crowdstrike. Some clinical and patient-facing systems within the hospitals have been impacted," Cavanaugh said.

At Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, the outage was affecting the hospital's telephone system, he said. The systems information technology staff has received information from Microsoft on a fix for the coding and was making updates, Cavanaugh said.
In addition to Monmouth Medical Center, RJW Barnabas Health operates Community Medical Center in Toms River, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, RWJ Barnabas Health Hamilton and multiple other facilities.

Find out what's happening in Middletownwith free, real-time updates from Patch.​

Subscribe
Virtua Health in Burlington and Camden counties was experiencing disruptions in its patient check-in system but was not affecting essential patient care, said Daniel Morse, Virtua Health's communications director.
"Virtua Health has implemented its backup systems and policies to enable both hospital and outpatient services to continue safely and with minimal interruption," Morse said. "Our electronic health records system (Epic) and MyChart patient portal are both functioning, after some brief disruptions overnight. Our teams continue to work diligently to ensure patient safety, which is our top priority, and to avoid any inconvenience for those we serve."
AtlantiCare, which operates AtlantiCare Medical Center's facilities in Atlantic City and Egg Harbor Township, said in a posted statement that it was experiencing disruptions as well.
"AtlantiCare is diligently working to restore all systems to full operation. We anticipate there will be delays in service, but our critical patient services are operational," the statement said.
A message seeking additional information was not immediately answered.
Not every system was experiencing disruptions.
Hackensack Meridian Health, which operates Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, Bayshore Medical Center in Holmdel, Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank, Ocean University Medical Center in Brick and Southern Ocean Medical Center in Manahawkin, was not affected by the outage.
"We’re a strong Google partner so hospital operations and patient-facing systems are not directly impacted," said Ben Goldstein, director of public relations. "We continue to evaluate all of our systems."
At CentraState Healthcare System, which operates CentraState Medical Center in Freehold Township, there were no disruptions, said Joy Lee-Calio, director of public relations and communications.
"Similar to organizations across the globe, we are continuing to assess the situation," she said. "At the moment clinical services remain operational and the safe delivery of high-quality patient care remains our focus."
Patient care at Cooper University Health Care has not been impacted, said Wendy Marano, a Cooper spokesperson.
"We are checking with our vendors to see if there are any secondary systems used by other departments that may be affected," she said. "But in terms of patient care, it's business as usual."
Jefferson Health's operations haven't been impacted by CrowdStrike, a spokesperson told Patch.

"

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yup, hospitals here were impacted, too. DD's hospital (a major one) was going to be spending the weekend working on fixes. I hadn't even considered the impact on healthcare. Scary!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for NYC public schools. We couldn't access anything on our internal sites and networks. It was an interesting day that's for sure.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We still have several internal systems that are unavailable. What a mess.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to Quest Labs their system is still messed up from the outage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results