shape
carat
color
clarity

Would it be weird to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock

I am thinking of getting my engagement diamond re-set into a platinum (or at least white gold) setting, IF I am able to get another ring to go with my wedding band. (The following threads describe my situation:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-desperately-need-input-on-what-to-wear-w-wb.31878/page-2

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-should-something-like-this-cost.33376/

So anyway, would it be weird to put my diamond in a setting such as the attached pics, and wear it alone? Would it look like I was engaged and not married? (i.e. if I wore it on my left hand alone) Has anyone else done this?

My reasoning is, I am just not one to wear two very diamondy rings together, but I love the look of a ring such as the attached one kittykat got, or the other I will attach. I have (what I consider to be) a beautiful diamond, and would like to have a setting for it which I love. But I don''t really want to wear it with another ring with diamonds, or with a plain band. Basically I guess I am asking if you can wear a ring that would typically be considered an engagement ring as an anniversary ring, in lieu of the typical WB/ER combo on left hand.

oops picture didn''t attach

square head.jpg

I hope folks don''t mind me using their rings as examples. I''m not sure what I would do exactly, but I''m thinking of these types of things

baguettes etc.jpg

another idea - incidentally, my diamond is an ideal cut RB

28729A.jpg

honestly I think people will think you are engaged. BUT...if that''s what you like that is what you should do.

I vote for doing whatever you want.
1.gif

Who cares if people think you are just engaged?
(Incidentally, I do not think this will be the case. People who are not obsessing over the planning/purchase of wedding/engagement rings don''t really think about such things, I have come to realize.)

I think those settings are just beautiful. I''m married, and I wear a sapphire ring solo on my left ring finger, and rotate rings, including weddings ''sets'' on my right.

Personally, I always say do whatever makes you happy!!

But since you asked my opinion, I would think that you were engaged if I only saw that ring on your finger. Of course, you have to ask yourself if you even care what I and others think lol.

Now when I see a three stone ring, I cannot decide whether it is an e-ring or an anniversary ring, so in my opinion again, if I were to wear only one ring, I would choose a three stone ring if I cared about what others thought of my marital status of course.

But in the end, like I already said, I would do whatever makes YOU happy!

Thanks for the input! More input is welcome!
I am torn, because I am normally the traditional type, which is why I had so much trouble when we were engaged finding something I liked: because to me, classic though it is, plain solitaire with plain wedding band, just seemed like not enough sparkle, and not unique - for me. But when I put an ER with side diamonds together with a diamond WB, it seems like too much - for me. It''s like I want something in between, but can''t find it. That''s why I went with my wedding band which does have design & tiny diamonds, and solitaire, but unless you''re really close up or in the brightest sunshine, it looks more or less like plain solitaire with plain wedding band. Whenever I try larger side stones in my ER, it seems to overpower my WB. (Again see the first link I posted above.) So one solution I am contemplating is buying an antique solitaire with tiny accent diamonds in the band, which goes reasonably well with my WB, but them I''m back to the dilemma of what to do with my Eng. diamond, and I''m back to square one. Then I see folks who have a solitaire, and they put in in a ring guard or wrap, which makes it look like one ring anyway, and often they have them soldered, so except for the fact that the shank looks like two shanks, (if one looks closely), it''s for all intents and purposes one ring! So why not just have one pretty ring with a center diamond and wear it as a wedding ring? (or anniversary, as the case may be) Also I''ve seen women who had their Eng. diamond mounted on their wedding band, and I do have a friend who I think had her ED mounted on a diamondy setting, and I''m sure she doesn''t worry that it might look like an ER. Plus MrsFrk may be right, "People who are not obsessing over the planning/purchase of wedding/engagement rings don''t really think about such things, I have come to realize." I often feel like such a fool for obsessing over this ring, when it seems like probably no one out there really notices or cares! But I notice all the time!

And Stretch4, you may have a point: Perhaps some settings would look more like an anniversary ring than others, which look more engagement-y? Any more feedback on that would help.

I will attach another possibility. Would this be the type that some might consider 3-stone and hence, possibly an anniversary ring?

1523 resize.jpg

Oops! That was the wrong picture. That is with my wedding band. Will post the picture I meant to.

resize 1469.jpg

So one solution I am contemplating is buying an antique solitaire with tiny accent diamonds in the band, which goes reasonably well with my WB,

Odillia, I think that your statement about the antique going "reasonably well" with your wedding band indicates that you are not sold on that antique set. I've also seen your posts about changing the head on the antique set. And then of course, you have the dilema of having TWO yellow gold diamond rings that about the same size.

I think that you need to decide what to do before you end up with two sets that are not quite what you want.

What about getting your diamond reset into a white gold or platinum set that you adore and then alternate wearing either that or your wedding band by itself?

Patty, I guess "reasonably well" wasn''t the most excited phrase! Partly it''s been a long time since I saw the ring in person, and partly because it isn''t absolutely perfect, but I am thinking that "perfect" will be impossible to find. I have thought of your suggestion to get my diamond reset into a white gold or platinum set that I adore and then alternate wearing either that or my wedding band by itself, but one problem is I can''t find a white set that I adore; I always just seem to like individual rings. So one thing I like about getting the thin antique solitaire is that I''d still have a traditional set, and be able to wear that when I want to, either to be more traditional, or when I want to wear yellow gold, or whatever, and then if I had the diamond reset into a single pretty ring, I could wear that in the other moods, or maybe even on my right hand. But you do give some good food for thought. And that''s why I still haven''t committed to the thin antique, because I want to be sure what I want to do first. And that''s why I was trying to get opinions on this forum, because it helps to bounce it off folks, (although imperfect because seeing in person is not the same as in pictures) and get feedback and/or advice. It is frustrating because I am a slow decision maker, and it''s hard for me to know what I want until I wear it for a while, which with this type of jewelry you really can''t do it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP