shape
carat
color
clarity

4 Month JA Journey Finally Complete - Worth It (with caveats)

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
TLDR - After 30+ years of marriage, finally able to purchase the wedding set she deserves for Christmas. Timing of my learning of PS and my purchase out of sync. Realized I could have purchased a much better stone. Returned ring for stone exchange/upgrade. At the same time, returned JA earrings for credit toward upgraded ring stone. Less than agile business processes at JA meant having to wait until recently to get the ring. The extra time researching and learning allowed me to buy a pair of ACA studs and a RHR from WF. Win-Win.

Great support from the PS team here to help me determine it was worth moving forward with this stone. Note on the JA IS images that there is some strong backlighting. This brought areas of concern for two reasons - one, was it strong backlighting or leakage under the table? This stone has the 35/40.8 combo where, according to the PS recommended proportions chart, the lowers should be 80, and my GIA report showed 75. Based on the distance of the hearts from their respective Vs, it was estimated the lowers to be closer to 77, which was acceptable.

While waiting for the ring to arrive, I purchased an Ideal Scope and an ASET scope, and practiced looking at what right looked like with the pair of 3 ct tw ACA studs I had purchased in the meantime. I then realized how difficult it is to take quality pictures using these scopes. Any slight camera or scope angle deviation or lighting intensity change brought significant changes in image results. You could make the ACA studs look fantastic or leaky with those subtle changes.

As such, I offer these initial images to share with the PSers here who were so helpful during the process:

Original JA IS image
3.8 Ideal Scope Arrows.jpg

My amateur IS images of actual stone (mounted)

3.8_IS_image_2v2.jpg 3.8_IS_imagev2.jpg

JA absolutely would not provide ASET imagery after multiple requests - my amateur ASET images below (strong backlighting, but working on it):

3.8_ASET-3v3.jpg 3.8_ASET-2v4.jpg

Here are some of my pics of the ring (had both soldered together):

3.8_profile_2v2.jpg 3.8_lightingv2.jpg 3.8_Top_View.jpg 3.8_profilev2.jpg 3.8_top_lightingv2.jpg
3.8_top-view-wornv2.jpg

I have compared this ring in all lighting conditions against the ACA studs, and can see no noticeable difference in light performance. I have payed very close attention under the table, and both exhibit the same performance. I have asked friends and family to look at them side by side and asked which one was brighter/sparklier/more fiery, and across the board the answer was they look the same. On some level there may be a difference, but I haven't seen it yet. However, I can immediately see the difference when compared to some of our older stones - like night and day different. We live and learn.

Knowing now about the easy button with WF, BGD, and WF, I think I got lucky finding this particular stone, and we could not be happier - however - would have to think about going with JA again though, knowing what I know now. Surface level customer service is good, but specific requests for new IS or ASET images met with a resounding no. No deep expertise at first level of customer service, although everyone was very pleasant and professional. She loves the setting with matching rings, and upon very close inspection, setting quality appears very high. Her friends continue to go on and on about the sparkle, fire, and color - literally flashes from across the room. I was primarily concerned about light performance - and this one is a winner. Far longer wait than necessary, four months is absurd. But outside of their stove-piped business units, JA was good to work with and delivered a stunner.

I will work on taking better pictures, as these don't do the ring justice. Thanks to all here who unselfishly provided their expertise and back and forth dialog during this process.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!!! Lovely result!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: Wow!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad this all worked out for you - beautiful rings! Can’t wait for more pics!!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have been following your story and the result s beautiful. You are a good husband.

Annette

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been following your story and the result s beautiful. You are a good husband.

Annette

Thank you Annette - that is very sweet. All avoidable had I found out about PS 6 months sooner. Definitely not the yellow brick road, but we did make it to the Emerald city (jewel pun intended) :D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous!! I hope we can get a hand shot!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous rings! Great job. Looking forward to more pictures.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
As requested, some quick (semi-icognito) hand shots (H color stone far whiter than I imagined):

3.8_hand-1.jpg
3.8_hand-2.jpg

...and what do you give the love of your life who has to wait until April for their Christmas present? - well, a 7 stone (same as the rings above - her favorite number) WF RHR...

WF_RHR_v2.jpg

...and a pair of 3 ctw I color ACA studs...

4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_84707_86300a.jpg

I provide my novice feedback here to consumers as my way to say thank you to those here who led me to my own well-informed purchases. People can't believe what they are seeing whether the e-ring/wedding ring, RHR, or ACA studs. Thanks to all for that knowledge.

Last edited:

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
I was watering the plants in the yard, and remembered some of the pics shared here with their rings set in various outdoor settings, so ran in and grabbed my better half's ring and thought I would share some outdoor shots. I will concede that my photography skills are nowhere near @Tonks and others here, but thought I would give it a go. I liked seeing the different colors reflected in the stones - some of which came out in the photography, but as we know, only a faint resemblance of what we experience in person.

3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_2.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_1.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_4.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_5.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_3.jpg

Cloudy out today, but will see if I can get some good shots to capture the impressive fire/brilliance/scintillation.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I was watering the plants in the yard, and remembered some of the pics shared here with their rings set in various outdoor settings, so ran in and grabbed my better half's ring and thought I would share some outdoor shots. I will concede that my photography skills are nowhere near @Tonks and others here, but thought I would give it a go. I liked seeing the different colors reflected in the stones - some of which came out in the photography, but as we know, only a faint resemblance of what we experience in person.

3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_2.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_1.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_4.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_5.jpg 3.8_H_VVS1_JA_TH_3.jpg

Cloudy out today, but will see if I can get some good shots to capture the impressive fire/brilliance/scintillation.

Ahhhhhh this is gorgeous!

Stop slamming your photography skills because these are wonderful. Great views of those arrows, and I clicked through and saw the GIA—love some chunky 75 LGFs! My experience has been that those bigger flashes are rainbow-y and just generally delicious, and I hope you’re finding something similar.

So happy for you and your wife that everything worked out—and I love that you added a RHR and earrings!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - your pictures are beautiful as is her new rings! Diamonds can be so hard to photograph but you did a great job! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results