shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass CAD Review Please-is this band too wide?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Good Evening!

This is my first go round ever--so I would love your advice/review on the engagement replacement and wedding band from David Klass.

The ER replacement will also have the birthstones of my children hidden in the shank. This will all be in platinum.

I will wear this pretty regularly, so I had David channel the outer diamonds on the wedding ring, which means it starts to get wide. Is it too wide?

I was thinking of adding is it called millwork (the beading on the edges) on the basket of the ER. Should I consider any on the wedding band?

Any other suggestions?
DK 102407-QUAD-4 (2).png

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
It's definitely substantial, that's not necessarily a bad thing, more finger coverage is totally OK in my book. But have you taken into consideration that the thicker the bands the tighter the fit? You may want to test out what's a comfortable size with this much width, to be sure you don't need to go up quarter or even half size. I wear a 4.75 but if the ring(s) are very wide I can get away with a size 5, especially in hot weather.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It's definitely substantial, that's not necessarily a bad thing, more finger coverage is totally OK in my book. But have you taken into consideration that the thicker the bands the tighter the fit? You may want to test out what's a comfortable size with this much width, to be sure you don't need to go up quarter or even half size. I wear a 4.75 but if the ring(s) are very wide I can get away with a size 5, especially in hot weather.

Agree 100% sometimes you actually have to size up. I did on one of mine but not another. I am someone who loves thick bands, but I don’t love them with my ring itself. So some days I wear just the band and sometimes the ring with a different thin band. I love and have several wide bands and LOVE how they look on others (that cigar band with a solitaire look!) but I didn’t really love it on me. So I look at this and love it, but know I wouldn’t like it on my finger.

Have you tested the look (and size of 7.5 wide band in your size and a cz engagement ring with similar diamond size) with costume jewelry to make sure you like it?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Agree 100% sometimes you actually have to size up. I did on one of mine but not another. I am someone who loves thick bands, but I don’t love them with my ring itself. So some days I wear just the band and sometimes the ring with a different thin band. I love and have several wide bands and LOVE how they look on others (that cigar band with a solitaire look!) but I didn’t really love it on me. So I look at this and love it, but know I wouldn’t like it on my finger.

Have you tested the look (and size of 7.5 wide band in your size and a cz engagement ring with similar diamond size) with costume jewelry to make sure you like it?

I did try the solitaire stone with an "Amazon special"-lol, DK 102407-QUAD-2 (1).png but didn't try the band. In David's original design, the band was narrower with prong settings for the stones, but I was a little nervous with the small stones and prongs, and how it would hold up to the daily punishment I likely will put it through :). So, we decided to try channel set.

Here's the original band design.

David offered to use smaller stones to make it "thinner", but I didn't know if I wanted to go that way.

My original ER and band has channel set princess cut stones, and they have taken 28 years of abuse :) I included a picture of that also (coated in lotion and not cleaned in months-lol).

IMG_5974.jpg

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock

I hadn't thought of that. My original ER is a 4 3/4 and my wedding ring is a 5. But those are from 28 years ago. I sized up because just like everything else, I have expanded a little. I can get them on and off, but not without a little help from dish soap :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The side bands on the 6mm wedding band look like they might be bead set/bright-cut set. Bead set/bright-cut set are pretty secure because they have side edges (like channel set vs open prongs).

I would clarify with DK what the side settings on the 6mm band are. Ask if they can be bead set and stay at 6mm. 7.5 mm with an
engagement ring is pretty wide (IMO). I would definitely size up.

Edit...those small diamonds on the bottom of your ER may eat into your wedding ring.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 180428.jpg

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
The side bands on the 6mm wedding band look like they might be bead set/bright-cut set. Bead set/bright-cut set are pretty secure because they have side edges (like channel set vs open prongs).

I would clarify with DK what the side settings on the 6mm band are. Ask if they can be bead set and stay at 6mm. 7.5 mm with an
engagement ring is pretty wide (IMO). I would definitely size up.

Edit...those small diamonds on the bottom of your ER may eat into your wedding ring.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 180428.jpg

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Ooh, thank you for your suggestion to ask Alex if it is bead set/bright cut! I will ask.

I will also ask about the side diamonds on the basket cutting into the band! Thanks so much for your help!!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
First of all I would keep the engagement ring band as-is; IMHO any thinner on that one and it will be uncomfortable.

As for the wedding band, I agree it might be too wide. Here is a 6mm band plus 2mm e-ring with 1-carat princess cut and my size 6.5 fingers are not short:

IMG_5680.jpeg

How about if you remove the outer rows of diamonds from the wedding band and get two stacking bands? Then you can wear all four when you want but adjust the number of bands when you don’t feel like having 10mm of metal (plus there is a gap).

Personally I would do milgrain/beading (couldn’t tell which you meant) because it looks more finished. I just got a ring with milgrain on a ring where I was hoping for a wide outer bezel and the milgrain seemingly made the bezel narrower.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
First of all I would keep the engagement ring band as-is; IMHO any thinner on that one and it will be uncomfortable.

As for the wedding band, I agree it might be too wide. Here is a 6mm band plus 2mm e-ring with 1-carat princess cut and my size 6.5 fingers are not short:

IMG_5680.jpeg

How about if you remove the outer rows of diamonds from the wedding band and get two stacking bands? Then you can wear all four when you want but adjust the number of bands when you don’t feel like having 10mm of metal (plus there is a gap).

Personally I would do milgrain/beading (couldn’t tell which you meant) because it looks more finished. I just got a ring with milgrain on a ring where I was hoping for a wide outer bezel and the milgrain seemingly made the bezel narrower.

Thank you so much for the visual! It really helps!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results